New
Find
Notify
Tools

European hunting rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most classic Stutzen is the original Mannlich-Schönauer 1903 in 6,5x54 MS!
All others are cheap copies! Wink

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
had a Mannlicher Schönauer Stutzen, and it is indeed a very smooth action. I have only seen it with a double set trigger, though, so you have to be comfortable with that setup. You should also shoot one before you acquire it, to see if it matches your expectations. I was surprised at the slow lock time mine exhibited, which together with the double set trigger eventually made me sell it.

I've sold 2 .30/06 Sprg. M-S Stutzens in the past 6 months and involved in the forced "liquidation" of a buddy's .308 Win. Stutzen, too.

The double set triggers as Mike mentions; are "mushy" for the lack of a better description. Additionally, for someone with smallish hands the front trigger can be a "reach".

All were very accurate although the .308 Win (Owner's penchant?) was a very unlucky hunting rifle, if you can call a rifle such. I can't say whether it was his continued use of 180 grainers in the .308 Win. but he always had an issue or another bringing Game to Bag. He also had a penchant for dropping/kicking/mishandling the Rotary Makralon Magazines - he went through @ half dozen as when you drop them (Mr. Fumbles) and then have to take them apart to repair, they're never quite the same.

I also had one; a .30/06 Sprg. Model M Stutzen in Left Hand - lovely rifle and regret to this day selling it. It was a super accurate, very handy High Seat rifle and great for Drive Hunting as well. Had a 3-12x56 (monster) Kalhes on it along with a 1.5x6x42 sibling in Steyr Swing Mounts. A delightful set-up.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:
Now this is more like it!

I recently shot one of those Desert Tactical Rifles in 308. It shot real good...

However, it did not shoot any better than my Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308.

And I can tell you pretty quick which one I would rather carry on a hunting trip. Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2 ,

Purely out of interest what kind of accuracy did you get from the DTR and at what range?

As for the wieght IanF describes me as Captain Caveman and this is my go to stalking rifle.
17 1/2 lbs of Sako and Nightforce Cool

And I still cannot workout why Ian calls me Captain Caveman.

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I doubt that picture was taken in East Anglia. You are facing the wrong way for starters....

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2 ,

Purely out of interest what kind of accuracy did you get from the DTR and at what range?

As for the wieght IanF describes me as Captain Caveman and this is my go to stalking rifle.
17 1/2 lbs of Sako and Nightforce Cool

And I still cannot workout why Ian calls me Captain Caveman.

Only because of your attitude to shaving.

Nice roe doe.

popcorn

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kamasutra pg. 311 ....

shocker

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJM

Some people say.....

That he sleeps upside down in a tree & roams the woods by night, foraging for wolves.

That he shaves three times a day - & that's just his legs!

That he does not sleep. He waits.

That he thought 'Star Wars' was a documentary.

That he normally has three children concealed within his beard..... there are rumours of a fourth!

Rgds

Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian,
You've been hanging out with Jeremy Clarkson and the Stig too much!

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

quote:
Now this is more like it!

Burn him!!

Burn the Witch!! flame

Amir,

I am afraid you have been out'ed.

By owning one of these,

Blaser R93 professional cammo in 308

You have lost all credability in this thread!

Now Where is that Mob.

Burn him!!

Burn the Realtree Rifle Witch!! flame

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Eeker

(Runs away screaming)

"Stay back, All of you!! You meddle in affairs you understand not!!"

Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
If only Chuck norris was a deer stalker then we'd have a beauty contest.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:

Mike, that is the same rifle 308 refered to above. Our local RFD had one in on consignment in 243 with a S&B 8x56 on top. The guy needed to shift it and would take £900 for the lot.

I really should have bought it.

Yup you really needed a rifle that was as loud as your unmoderated 06 which you couldn't fit a moderator to, that wasn't free floated, had a zero that wandered like a tom cat and would prove hard to sell on Wink

Count yourself lucky! Handsome is as handsome does!

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:

Mike, that is the same rifle 308 refered to above. Our local RFD had one in on consignment in 243 with a S&B 8x56 on top. The guy needed to shift it and would take £900 for the lot.

I really should have bought it.

Yup you really needed a rifle that was as loud as your unmoderated 06 which you couldn't fit a moderator to, that wasn't free floated, had a zero that wandered like a tom cat and would prove hard to sell on Wink

Count yourself lucky! Handsome is as handsome does!

You see, there you go again, applying logic to the process of "wanting" a rifle. Logic has no place - it looked nice.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
OK guys

I feel I am responsible for all this mud slinging against Ghubert on the net as to his taste of rifles

I think I have found my dream rifle setup and configuration

I would like to tender to anybody who can build it for me in 9.3 x 62 or 7 x 57 or a pair !

With this and a single shot K95 I really don't think I need anything else in Europe

In relation to the Desert Tactical I was a member of a metal plate club in West Ontario and I printed the first 4 shots into a canadian dime after that it carrying on hitting metal plates from 120 to 400 metres

I did not bother to pick or critise after that

Basically it did what it was suppose to do a tactical rig with tactical intentions. But not for crawling around marshes or woods

Any suggestions as to who should I approach to build this rifle ?

Shall we have a caliber slinging match again ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I sense it might pleases a lot of people here to state that

NO more adjustable coombes or 6mmBR

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
This one does look nice.

[/QUOTE]

I don’t know who to suggest to get one built with I guess somewhere on the mainland europe may be your best bet.

Have you thought about what action to use.

How about a good quality modern action Bat or Surgeon married to a classic walnut stutzen stock?

Ben I have to admit to being a hypocrite when I was down at your Clay Club Ben I saw someone with a Browning CYNERGY COMPOSITE. I could not ever imagine buying a shotgun that was not Walnut Stocked with nicely blued barrels. But when it comes to rifles then it has to be stainless.

As for Calibre what about 7x64 non military calibre for travelling a bit more oomph than the 7x57 for Pig but not as outrageous as a 9.3 for the UK, as quite a few places would not allow the use of a 9.3.

Then buy yourself a nice 9.3 double for Driven Pig

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I had hope it will be a classical rifle with exact specification as you can see in the photo

A BAT is good but only for a specific purpose.

I have 02 and it is wasted for field use.

Internet rumour saying that they get stuck when there is grit it true to a certain extent but then on the other hand all other tight action does the same ................

7 x 57 for me as first choice

If there is not enough gun I will take a walk.

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
Ben,

How about one of these off the shelf Sako's

Available in

22-250
243 Win
260 Rem
308 Win
338 Federal
25-06 Rem
6.5x55 SE
270 Win
30-06 Sprg
8x57IS
9.3x62

So sadly not available in 7x57 I am sure that a trip to the Beretta Gallery in London would ensure that you could get one with really nice wood.

I have a good contact at the gallery if you were interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could get that built at Hollands (>£20k), Ronald Wharton (don't know price), Norman Clarke (yes he does do classic rifles), Trevor Proctor (£10k or so?) and after that I'm stumped.

Were it me I'd buy a pair of BRNO Model 21s (or 20s) in those calibres and restock them. All in probably about £3k each though the 9.3x62 is rare indeed and much sought after(Please don't confuse the small ring 21 with the modern junk they are superlative actions) Speak to Frances Lovell in Witney - he had some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Brno 21/22 series actions/rifles were/are superb and have five of them, at present as well as three ZG-47s, another fabulous rifle/action. However, I would not refer to the CZ-550 action as ...junk... and actually am damn glad that this is available, given the dearth of decent crf hunting rifles on today's market.

Most of these weird Euro. rifles, Mauser 03, Blasers, Sauers and whatever, THEY ARE junk and hideously overpriced junk at that. I would neve spend my hardearned pension monies on any of them and would prefer a Ruger 77 over any of them.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further to this, I have never seen or heard of, from a credible source, a 21/22 series FACTORY Brno in 9.3x62. I HAVE a very nice ZG factory chambered to that fine round and in a Micky Edge stock, Satterlee 3-pos. safety, Talleys, Zeiss and Recknagel "peep" rear... among the finest of the approx. 100 big game rifles I have owned over the past 40+ years.

I have two 21/22 actions, real beauties, not a mark on them, except for missing ejector-boltstop assemblies and am contemplating a 9.3x62 "stutzen" such as the one shown above and perhaps a 7x64 with a 23" tube and slender Euro.-style stock....depending on finances, as we all must.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote