Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in France
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I have a question about hunting in France being an American. A friend of mine who lives in France has invited me to come hunt roe deer with him. What will I need to do to be able to hunt with him? Will I need any sort of license? Also, I will want to bring the cape and horns home to be mounted. Will I need some sort of importation certificate to bring the animal into the US (I was planning to bring it back as checked baggage)? Thanks for your input.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

As a fellow American who had hunted a few times in France I can say you are going to have a ball. What are you hunting and where?

You need a "Permit de chasseur" a hunting liscense, specifically one for non-French hunters. In order to get that you'll need to get hunting insurence, give proof of your American hunting liscense and hunter's education, and then pay a fee (normally $130-250 depending on the type you get). Its a bit complicated to explain but not difficult, if you want send me a PM and I'll give you all the details.

Also you can bring 2 "Catagory 5 Hunting Weapons" and 100 rounds of ammunition each (not that the airlines will let you take that much...) with you on your trip with no special permit other than your French Hunting Permit and its always a good idea to have that Customs form with your guns listed on it.

Here's a link on the firearms:
http://www.ambafrance-us.org/intheus/customs/6000.asp

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Chasseur,

Sent you a PM.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

What you need to hunt in France is a temporary hunting licence, whic<h can be requested by your French friend, once you will have sent him a photocopy of your US hunting licence, and a paper from your insurance company saying you are covered when hunting in France.
The temporary hunting licence is valid for 7 consecutive days, and can be prolongated for another seven days.
If you hunt alone, you will need this paper.
If you hunt with your friend, and if you have only one rifle for you 2, you can be considered as a "follower" and therefore you do not need anything special.
Anyway, I did request such a paper 2 years ago for a "wisconsinian" fellow, and it was a piece of cake...
As for rifles, I would not bring any, if I were you: we have plenty in France, your friend should be able to find something to suit you. If not, I have a steyr scout in 7.08 with a Leupie MTR 3-9X36 mil dot, illuminated reticle, or a ruger in 350RM (zeiss 1,5-6X42) or a rem 600 in 35rem (leupie 2-7X33) at your disposition.
And a winchester classic laminated in 300wsm, or a sako A2 in 7.08 may come, if I don't succed in restraining my envy ;-)
Olivier

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Olivier,

I guess I will be considered a "follower." I'm going to be hunting with him the whole time and I'm using his rifle. It's just easier to avoid all the hassle and use his rifle. Let me get this straight though, as a "follower" I don't need to get any paper work and I'm still allowed to shoot animals. Sounds easy enough to me.

Anyone know about getting the trophies home to the US?

Thanks for your guys' help. It's really appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

you are a "follower" until you shoot, and afterwards. Needless to say, odds are limited that any official eyes watch you actually shooting. many beginners do what you will do, and nobody gets into any trouble...
I hope you will hunt a place qhere there are wild boars, in august, as the roe deer rut is at its peak, and in many places, wild boars can also be shot at that time of year ;-)
As for your trophies, I will have to check and come back to you.
olivier

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Olivier,

I will be in a place with boars, but I'm going at the end of the year though. I'm more interested in taking the native species, like the roe. I have plenty of good boar hunting near home. Thanks for your the help.

posted Hide Post
[you are a "follower" until you shoot, and afterwards. Needless to say, odds are limited that any official eyes watch you actually shooting. many beginners do what you will do, and nobody gets into any trouble...
I hope you will hunt a place qhere there are wild boars, in august, as the roe deer rut is at its peak, and in many places, wild boars can also be shot at that time of year ;-)
As for your trophies, I will have to check and come back to you.
olivier]

Olivier,
You are promoting "Poaching"!!!
"nobody gets into any trouble", yeah right, until somebody do get into trouble.
Stan.

Posts: 24 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I can't figure out. What kind of a hunting license does one have to buy in the States in order to hunt in France. What if I don't want to hunt in my state, can I still hunt in France?

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,

The French government wants some proof that you are a hunter in your home country and you've pass some sort of hunter education course. So they ask for photocopies of this when getting your French permit. Any American license works from any state as far as I know. If didn't hunt in your state and then paid all the fees for the French permit you could still hunt in France as far as I know.

Hope this helps!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
You are almost right,
the law is now different.
You need to have a proof You are shooting or hunting in Your country. For StuC (Australian) or Steve (Englishman) I used their shooting licenses.
Concerning insurance, it has to be bought in France, 30$.
The "permis de chasser" or French hunting license can be obtained for one Year exactly the same way a frenchman is obtaining it. You can have it for +/- 2 (or 4?) weeks for half the cost.
Concerning the rifle you bring along, the risk you be controled is little. In case of hunting accident it's another story, it'll worsen things.
Consider it's almost a cinch to BUY A HUNTING LICENSE + A INSURANCE, no harassement at all.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back on trophies:
If I understoot well, Sevens, you will need no special paper to leave France with a roe buck trophy. On the oteher hand, it seems the US laws are more restrictive, and it would be better for you to check them thoroughly.
olivier