Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone had a Spring Salmon Yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
I'm missing the spring fishing this year so was wondering if anyone has been out for a springer?

About now there are some good hatches of Duckfly in the West of Ireland which usually give a few good trout to those that get out?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
A spring salmon? Not in this lifetime.

I hear the Foyle system is fishing well, particularly the Mourne.

I am off to Fermanagh this weekend for a day on Lower Lough Erne, probably Sunday.

We had Mayfly this time last year. Will report back in due course.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring?
Its still winter here...
2,25 metres of snow in the city last friday according to the snow plowers. The last 2 days brought 2 dm more. I have managed to get some pike from the creeks though, hopefully making it easier for salmon & trout to survive.
Still 80 cm ice on creeks, 30-40 cm on rivers, open water at a few rapids.
I guess the salmon will come in early summer, perhaps around the end of june.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FB,
I believe there has been about a dozen fish caught upto press the Nith which is our local river, but is really a little early for a decent run. The locals usually say when the gorse blooms then there should be spring fish and grilse..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my spare time im a gillie on the river slaney in co wexford we have had 12 springers so far season started on 10 of march its bring a bad season so far cold temps the river was closed last year stocks were low this year is catch and release single barbless hooks the size of fish range from 6 to 11 lbs since the 10 of april its fly fishing no spinning good number of fish lost i have had one 7lbs and lost one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fishing the Owen Duff last weekend. No sign of any large numbers of fish running yet.....

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No chance yet mate. I'll be fishing the Ayr and Nith later in the year (both rivers fish later).

Perhaps Griff will invite us all over to his...that bugger has a nice pool right outside his door!

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not myself but, they are taking fish in the local rivers here in Sutherland, the Cassley, Oykel, Shin and Carron.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well things are not much better a few fish seen running temp rising slightly wind has changed waiting for rain 4 people fishing nothing caught had a nice few brown trout on march brown and hares ear beats strimming

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's been a trickle of decent fish off the Wye and Usk including sea liced fish to 26lbs taken throughout the river and as far as I know four off the Welsh Dee.

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well things a little better 4 fish landed one of 16 lbs 11,10,7,water levels low but spring tides helping might make a good week

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Steyerman,

were theyon the worm/spinner? or are you getting some fly water?

I'm hoping to get a couple of days in july if things go to plan as I have to go to dublin for a family christening in dublin so I might slip over to Sligo and fish the ballisodare or the moy for a day or two.

I didn't get a fish last year as I only managed a couple of days in the middle of a huge spate. I'm taking a lot of stick about that at the moment from the guys!!

Do you have any pictures?
rgds,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi fallow buck the were on fly as we are fly only from 10 of april pic on camera phone but will bring camera down tomorrow the problem is were on catch and release so we dont want to stress them to much and were using single barbless hooks keep you posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well the weather changed a bit yesterday evening one lad landed and returned a lovely 9 lbs hen fish also had a pull of another 2 other fishmen seen a few fish traveling today might be good

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Claret,

I thought I'd bring this over here rather than hijack PG's Arran thread any more.

speaking to a few of the guys that I fish with here and in Ireland it seems to be a strange year. The Dee has been very slow indeed with fish to rod day numbers being very low. Even a couple of the still waters here have been fishing a bit strangely.

In Ireland the Moy has been slow by all accounts but fingers crossed for a bit of rain to help the run along. Ken told me they had a decent time on the Duckfly in April with a few fish to 4lb but that was it. I'm hoping to get upto the west the first Friday of the month for a bit of a thrash as I'm hoping the Grilse run will be going by then.

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
FB, sorry, I missed this a couple of days ago.

The character of trout and salmon fishing in Ireland seems to be changing. The Corrib in particular has become very unpredictable, the mayfly was always a banker for the second and third week of May. It is all over the place now and very unpredictable.

The late spring grilse run in the west has practically disappeared. There are still good grilse runs, but the don't happen until well into July.

I would not entertain travelling to the West for Salmon until there has been plenty of rain. We have had little or no rain this past month. Couple pf heavy showers only.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we its being a strange week water levels are low 7 inchs on gauge 4 fish this week caught i had one today 5lbs on floating line useing a hairy mary single fly and another rod had one this evening on a cascade single looking forward to a drop of rain