THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    London gunmaker visit and deer stalking weekend

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

London gunmaker visit and deer stalking weekend
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
After delaying for a year, I had the opportunity to spend the past Friday visiting H&H, Rigby, William Evans, and Farlows in London. I spent the weekend outside of Woburn hunting for Chinese water deer and muntjac with a friend. Took a few CWD, including a real nice one. The muntjacs were quick and elusive - would have loved to have had a 12 gauge with 3.5" #1 shot (or even Turkey) for the thick woods. BTW - stayed at The Woburn hotel. Highly recommend. Very traditional, GREAT food and bar. And it basically adjoins the Woburn Deer Park (drove through, never got a chance for a foot walk. Great deer in there!)

I was really impressed with the Rigby workshop - didn't realize they had one for London Best and the other for the Stalker/Big Game line. Spent time in both, great craftsmen there! I also had a chance to handle a new 350 Rigby built on a slimmer version of their Big Game pattern. Handled nicely.

I don't monkey around with all the pic posting gymnastics anymore, so here's a link to the photo album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AjWJKVFjQP3kJ4cS8

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have been to Rigby, William Evans, Beretta, Purdey, Farlows, and Cordings while in London in the past few years.

I was taken aback at how all were very friendly and accommodating.

I will say Rigby, Farlows and Purdey really went above and beyond.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
Anything going to follow you home after visiting those gunmakers ?
Nice pics by the way. Thanks for posting those.
One thing that amazed me about England ( not including Wales or Scotland ) is that for a heavily populated country there is an abundance of countryside. Did you visit Scotland ? I really liked Scotland - wilder and many fewer people.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Eric,
Anything going to follow you home after visiting those gunmakers ?
Nice pics by the way. Thanks for posting those.
One thing that amazed me about England ( not including Wales or Scotland ) is that for a heavily populated country there is an abundance of countryside. Did you visit Scotland ? I really liked Scotland - wilder and many fewer people.

I wouldn't mind Rigby new 350 Rigby Big Game light, but I bought one of my daughters a new 4Runner over the holidays - so there went that gun!

I really like the London Best guns; bolt and double; but the continental makers like Heym, VC, and Chapuis are hard to beat.

Scotland at some point.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Super pictures. Who did you hunt with ? Rigbys is superb and a great visit. Also love Farlows ( and then BBR around the corner if you like wine ). Always find H&H to be somewhat non descript and nasel. Nice post. Thank you !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did similar a few years ago...spent a day visiting a number of London's high end gun shops.

Purdey impressed me for all the wrong reasons - the gentleman I spoke with was far from a gentleman. You'd travel a long way to find such an arrogant prick! Its a shame because I walked out of the store and never got to have a look at any guns.

However, the fellas at Anderson Wheeler and Holland and Holland were a standout... so generous with their time, spending plenty of it to show me their finest guns. I quite enjoyed visiting these stores.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Nice

What is the story behind this rifle?

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Jim Corbett’s .275 I believe.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2794 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Visited the Rigby shop last fall and was blown away by the reception, quality of people, very open tour and the opportunity to talk with some of their gun makers. This even after telling them I'll likely only be able to buy a hat!

Have always been a fan of the brand and am more so now.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It's great to know you can get into these places wearing jeans. I would have thought a pinstriped suit and bowler, or at least tweeds, might be expected.

I recall standing outside Purdeys' (wearing jeans) in 1975 and getting my wife to take a photo. Not even needing snapcaps that year, it didn't occur to me to try the door.

I guess they are hoping not to deter dressed-down billionnaires.

An eccentric squatter lived near us 60 years ago who dressed like a derro but was rich as ... One story has it he went to a Rolls-Royce dealer in Melbourne but was ignored by the salesman. At that he went to the other one and bought a new car. They were about to fill it with free gas but he stopped them and took it to the first dealer - to spread the joy.

That may be apocryphal, of course, as I'd be surprised if there was ever more than one RR agent there or that you could drive away in anything the day you bought it, esp. if the cheque had been written by a man wearing bowyangs.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
It's great to know you can get into these places wearing jeans. I would have thought a pinstriped suit and bowler, or at least tweeds, might be expected.

I recall standing outside Purdeys' (wearing jeans) in 1975 and getting my wife to take a photo. Not even needing snapcaps that year, it didn't occur to me to try the door.

I guess they are hoping not to deter dressed-down billionnaires.

An eccentric squatter lived near us 60 years ago who dressed like a derro but was rich as ... One story has it he went to a Rolls-Royce dealer in Melbourne but was ignored by the salesman. At that he went to the other one and bought a new car. They were about to fill it with free gas but he stopped them and took it to the first dealer - to spread the joy.

That may be apocryphal, of course, as I'd be surprised if there was ever more than one RR agent there or that you could drive away in anything the day you bought it, esp. if the cheque had been written by a man wearing bowyangs.

$19.99 jeans from Men's Warehouse on sale. The shirt, however, is hand tailored, fabric mill in the UK - they even have a spot on Saville Row, so maybe that got me in Smiler

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, AH, that might have done it.

Regarding that ragged plutocrat I mentioned, there's another story about an earlier RR he'd bought.

On that occasion apparently he'd ordered it from England but when it arrived he wired Crewe the message: THIS CAR IS NO GOOD!

The story goes that they sent a mechanic out (six weeks by sea in those days) who asked what the matter was. "It hasn't got a running board!"

That they wouldn't have asked by phone about the issue is hard to believe but I know the company does give personal service. When I worked for Siebe Gorman in London, I sometimes lunched with the Chairman's chauffeur, in the canteen. He told me that if ever the Rolls broke down a mechanic would be sent out to fix it. His first duty, however, would be to put a canvas screen around it, like a horse that breaks its leg at the races.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote