New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holt's Auctioneers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Put a gun in their 28 June Sealed Bid sale and told that it has been sold. Yet still 5 August no cheque received!

This is not acceptable either they have had the money and have been sitting on it - just how long does it take a cheque to clear - or they have not had payment for it even though it has been "knocked down".

Has any other Forum Member similar experiences with Messrs. Holt's?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with them is excellent, maybe you haven't replied to their email asking for your payment instructions, which is the most common reason for delay in payment.
A phone call to their accountant will undoubtely solve this problem.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cheque arrived today, 6 August, and a call from them at 9.00am this morning to say that the cheques had been posted on 5 August.

I have always had the cheque within two weeks when using Southams and have never had a problem there. I do have awful memories of the scandalous delays of payment with Weller and Dufty!

I was very pleased to see that Holt's charges were most reasonable. So am happy in that respect...it would just have been nicer to have had the cheque sooner!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Enfield,

What rae the terms on the sealed bid auction? I believe that there is some issues with the 20%+ (might even be 25%) commission charged on both sides of the transaction in the main sales. Basically a seller only realises £800 from their gun that someone else has paid £1200 for.

Is the sealed bid auction a smaller commission?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their terms, on their website, say 15%. My lot sold for £93.00. Commission INCLUSIVE OF VAT was £16.39 and Insurance £1.65. Giving me a nett return cheque of £74.96 which I am delighted with.

With Weller and Dufty you always were disappointed with the time it took to pay and with the nett amount received.

Holt's advise 10% commission on amounts over £500.00

Apart from the delay I am 100% delighted.