New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet for Red Deer in Scotland??
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
I'm going to the Scottish highlands this summer for a week of red deer stalking. I normally shoot 180 gr soft points in my 308 win. However, I'm thinking of using the 125 grs Lapua Mega for this trip. Which is the better choice??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last October I shot two hinds with 150 gr Rem Core Lokts out of a 30/06. Range of each shot was under 50 metres. Didn't recover either bullet. 2 dead deer. I'd be happy to use this same combination again.
Don't know whether this helps your decision or not, but there you are.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PCH,

I use standard speer 150 grn Soft Points in my 308 for bothe Red and Roe with no problems. Given the bullets you mention, I think I would choose the 180grns, but thats just me!

Regards,

Pete

[ 03-11-2003, 19:43: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've shot about 20 Red stags in the Scottish Highlands (Blair Atholl) and shots were taken mostly between 150 - 250 m. Apart from one trip made with a 7x64 (new rifle), my caliber of choice has been the .300 Win Mag, loaded with Sierra 180 SP Pro-Hunter and 165 GK. Both behaved ideally and passed trough. The only bullet recovered was one of the 165 GK, which held together and was recovered from a hide pouch on the opposing flank, after a 180 m, 3/4 frontal shot.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej Peter!

A 125 gr. bullet will kill a a stag, no problems. But a big stag is well over 100 kg. This is about the same as a smallish moose yearling. I would go for a bit more bullet weight.

Have a look at the Sako Super Hammerhead in 154 gr. There is a new improved version of this bullet, shoots good and with a bonded core. I have had exellent results in my 300 WSM with this bullet.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Thanks,
I found out that the 125 grs Mega was only loaded to 800 m/s, so the trajectory is the same as my standard 180 grs. I will probably stick to the 180 grainers to keep it simple.

posted Hide Post
If in doubt go for sectional density every time. Most people in the UK seem to use 150g or heavier for reds. Personally I like 165g as a compromise but would not fancy the 125, Im sure it would be ok most of the time but why take the risk?

Posts: 18 | Location: Lancashire, UK | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super hammerhead? NOT AS LONG AS I LIVE!! Have had too many bullets explode without penetration. Needless to say, this is exactly what this bullet is NOT meant to do.

There have been a few threads on the forum that indicate that the older bullets were the ones that gained the reputation for excellent performance, whilst the 'new' model are maybe no longer bonded.

Accuracy in my 30'06 Tikka is excellent (.75") - but bullet performance on game was terrible.

I was shooting pigs at ranges between 40 and 150mtres and the retrieved carcasses showed penetration of no more than 8cm before complete bullet disintegration. NO exit wound. Good bullet placement.

I will only ever use my remaining Super Hammerhead's on paper!

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick to the 180. You might always have a shot at an odd angle and you need the penetration. This is based on Polish reds and thouhgh the Scotish are smaller a good heavy bullet is something to have on stag.

Posts: 45 | Location: Poland | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
<martin f>
posted
PCH,

is there really a 125 grain MEGA bullet in .308, or is this a typo?
I only know of 150, 185 and 200 grain MEGAs.
These have a somewhat blunt nose and are described as quite hard bullets, better suitable for heavy game.
Maybe not what you would like for fairly light scottish red deer.

Regards,
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH,
there are two ways of looking at this!
if you are going to shoot them through the shoulders then I would go for the heavier bullet, if you go for the typical heart shot then the heavier bullets might not expand.
180gn is on the heavy side considering that the average stag weighs only 150lbs-170lbs.
Yes there are 400lbs stags, they are few and far between.
We have witnessed the venerable 243 punch holes through stags like a knife through butter,only to fail through the shoulders.
shot through the heart they don't usually go very far(although there are the exceptions to the rule).
bullet placement is everything.
following up a wounded stag mile after mile might not be your idea of highland/lowland stalking.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff,

You raise an interesting point for me. When stalking stags in Scotland, is it usually expected that you should try to preserve as much meat as possible with e.g., behind shoulder shots? Are the carcasses nomally taken to a game dealer?

Thanks,

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In Scotland and given the chance, I always break one (two, if the Stag collaborates by taking the right pose) shoulder(s) and, so far, all the beasts shot either went down on the spot or took only a few steps. In Blair Atholl or Cluny, where I'm used to hunt, the venison goes to the larder before getting collected by a local butcher in the following days. Regarding my bullet placement and resulting meat loss, the stalker's attitude is balanced between the immediate satisfaction of having the animal down on the spot (no following up) and later regrets (� !) about damage*, when cutting up the carcass in the evening. A balanced attitude IMHO and a valid reason to go on.

*shots being taken mostly in excess of 150 m, I find haematoma greatly reduced and the existing venison damage very reasonable, even with a .300 Mag.(a Stag is much bigger but also much tougher. He won't tear up that easy as would a Roe).

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Thanks for all your replies,

Martin f,
There is, or rather was, a Mega in 125 grs. It is as far I know discontinued. I just happened to stumble across a few boxes.

I will use 180 grs ammo since this is what I use for my regular hunting. I really don't see no reason to complicate things by using another bullet weight for reds, especially if the 125 grs is marginal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
STU C,
99% of carcasses go to the game dealer,with the occasional one going to the gun, can't see why the gun would want to eat a stinky stag!!
meat damage is important although shot through the shoulders does not result in a lesser price from the dealer.
clear of 7 ribs and four fingers down the rib cage is the norm for 100% grading.

good shooting

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH. Heavy for caliber is allways the best choise. Less meat damage, better penetration, Penetration means better bloodtrail (in case the deer gets "lost" after the shot)
Good penetration combined with good bullet placement will earn you the stalkers confidence and respect. That respect is worth your while..
You will often get better deer better conversation and ...well better everything.
I went to Scotland last fall and achieved all of the above. But it took a full day to get it. since I showed up with molycoated Hornadys and a stainless steel Sako. You should have seen the look on the stalkers faces.. [Roll Eyes]
Remember that those guys have probably shot more deer than you and I have eaten peas. So be humble and pay attention. That is my best advice for your future fantastic hunting trip.
Oh.. and do your very best shooting and handlingyour gun, at the range, when you get there. It is one the range they "spot" you.
Just one more thing to help you get the best..
Allways keep a pocketflask of whisky close by. The scots are not alcoholics, but they, like the rest of us, do appreciate that you show appreciation to their work.
Have a great trip.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
PCH

I like a 150 gr Nosler Partition in my .30-06 for red and fallow stags. Should work well in a .308.

I would steer clear of bullets lighter than 150 gr in .30.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IanF

The old and the new improved Sako Super Hammeheads are both bonded bullets.
Some of the old ones had problems and they "exploded" with bad penetration.I guess there was something wrong with the production. I have heard of some cases in Finland and a few one in Sweden.But have never heard of this problem in Norway.I have used the new and the old ones with no problem.
Every bullet maker have some "lemons". Some years ago there were many failures with Nosler Partitions here in Norway.And as we all know NP is one of the most relaible bullets you can buy.

Posts: 162 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH If minimal destruction of meat is important, or if you are shooting smaller animals and do not want to "blow them up" try some of the bonded core bullets such as the Swift A-Frame or the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. My wife has Killed a big Bobcat,[at about 45 yards] and a big pig [at 20 yards] with the 165 TB in a 308WCF. The Bobcat hide was not damaged and the pig went right down with a double shoulder shot. There was not any bloodshot meat, because the bullet did not shed many fragments, but held together. You might give them a try.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hjortejeger.

Appreciate your reply - but understand that as the hunter concerned - I'm now totally biased against these bullets!

Unsure as to how I can tell if these are the 'New' or 'Old' stock I have had problems with. [Frown]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote