New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poland or Hungary for Red Stag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to hunt red stag in either Poland or Hungary but have been to neither country. I would appreciate all recommendations or comments about which country would be the better choice. Considerations include quality of hunt, budget, tourist opportunities for spouse, and overall experience with locals. Many thanks.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

You can safely add Czech Republic to the list. All three very traditional hunting countries, open and friendly and trouble free.

As far as tourism and sites are concerned, I think Hungary probably has the most to offer but I am biased as I lived there for 3 years!

Be clear about what you want to hunt as they all charge based on weight in kgs and grammes. Classic hunt for red stags is during the rut in September.

Dennis / Caracal on here is a good source for all three countries and there are quite a few other European outfitters too that have access to good red stag stalking.

Good luck!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I would add Romania to your list.

I do organize my red stag hunts in Poland, Hungary and Romania. In the right area these three countries are good and offer fine hunting. Obviously there are good and bad areas etc.

Here are a few thoughts about the destinations. This is very general points to give you an idea.

Poland:
- lots of red deer, but generally medium trophy quality
- well organized areas and ok stalkers
- value of the hunts is generally very good -> relatively cheap trophy fees etc.
- possible to combine with roe deer, boar, mouflon, (small) fallow deer
- good tourist opportunities if the right area is chosen
- you often get a bit more of that eastern "european charm", then in Hungary.
- overall a good quality hunt and recommended if you are happy with a medium red stag

Hungary:
- lots of red deer, the trophy quality is often superb
- very well organized areas and very good stalkers -> sometimes people feel it's over managed
- more expensive then Poland but you will get more
- possible to add roe, boar, (excellent) fallow deer, maybe mouflon
- good tourist opportunities if the right area is chosen, Budapest is a fantastic city to visit
- excellent hunting and very good trophies to be expected, sometimes people think it's a bit over organized

I can give you some information on Romania also if you like.

Feel free to get in touch via PM or Email if you want to dive deeper.

@Charles: thanks

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down Hungary is by far the Best place in Europe for Free range Red Stag hunts. Multiply Government Areas provide excellent hunts without any hassle.

Bulgaria is also a very good place to hunt in the roar. Many good places for huge Stags are in the Noth West of the Country close to Romania.

In Czech hunts for Red Stags are limited and mostly behind High Fence.

Romania has lot of stags. But the management is in many Areas a huge Problem; In the Provinces Mures, Covasna and Harghita are the best Spots for Stags.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
Hands down Hungary is by far the Best place in Europe for Free range Red Stag hunts. Multiply Government Areas provide excellent hunts without any hassle.

Bulgaria is also a very good place to hunt in the roar. Many good places for huge Stags are in the Noth West of the Country close to Romania.

Romania has lot of stags. But the management is in many Areas a huge Problem; In the Provinces Mures, Covasna and Harghita are the best Spots for Stags.

I beg to differ as Czech and Slovak countries have excellent free range red stags hunts as well, they just don’t have the size like Hungary and agreed that management in Czech is not that great including service like food, lodging and pick up and drop off…fairly marginal
Hungary is simply superior in all those areas

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:

I beg to differ as Czech and Slovak countries have excellent free range red stags hunts as well, they just don’t have the size like Hungary and agreed that management in Czech is not that great including service like food, lodging and pick up and drop off…fairly marginal
Hungary is simply superior in all those areas

Slovakia is a different Story.
Sure there are great Red Stags hunts there but Czech don't have Big Numbers of Red Deers

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas