Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Mounts For Sauer 202???
 Login/Join

posted
I friend of mine is considering getting a Sauer 202 as a replacement for his now defunct Tikka. Although he has seen one in the local gunshop, he did not notice what mounting systems it uses.
So does the Sauer have dovetail or rails milled into the reciever or is it drilled and tapped? He is looking for a decent quality steel fixed 1" mount in either low or medium. The shop recommends Warne fixed mounts but I was wondering what other people here recommend. He does not want to use either Apel (sp?) or EAW fixed or detachable other than that he is open minded. At present he hasa set of Tikka Optilocks and in an ideal world would like to use those in someway or something similar. He would prefer ring-mounts rather than seperate mounts and bases but realises this may not be possible.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

[ 02-21-2003, 19:32: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Pete E

It is drilled and tapped for bases and rings. I don't think there is even a little chance of useing a tikka style mount with milled rails [Eek!] [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

[ 02-22-2003, 02:31: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

posted Hide Post
Johan,

Thanks for that.. we were wondering if the new bases being fitted to the action could be chosen so they are the same width/type as those on the Tikka or that maybe the Optilock rings could be removed off their present bases (they are only held by a hex screw from underneath) and be refitted on the new bases for the Sauer...Neither of us are holding our breath though and in reality I suspect he will end up going with the Warnes...

Regards,

Pete

[ 02-22-2003, 04:07: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Pete E

I doubt that Warne has a mount that wil fit a sauer 202 since the rifle is not very common in USA, but sometimes you need to have a bit of luck [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I know of 2 top quality mounts for the 202 :
1. Ernst Appel Werke (EAW), in fixed or swing-out version ;
2. Sauer's own swing-out mount (BTW, made by EAW, so they're one and the same).
On my 202, I opted for the swing-out EAW, which is about 100% reliable (return to zero within 1 cm at 100 m). My choice was based on a former experience I had with an EAW on another rifle and which proved perfect.

-

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
We sell several of the Sauer 202 rifles. My Sauer 90 carrries a redfield style mount. The current 202s we sell all have the EAW mount with the exception of the lightweight rifle that uses weaver rings. I really like the Sauer guns, if anything they need to bring back the safari in .458 win.

Cheers, Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote