Find
Notify
Tools

Good, tough rain wear,
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

What is the collective experience with rainwear? I am looking for something which is waterproof and tough enough for agricultural type work outdoors, crawling over heather / stalking and fairly 'quiet'.

Ok, I do n't want much!

I remember various farming outlets used to sell Seal Flex.

Are they any good?

People I have spoken to have qualified comments about the Ram / Montana suits, particularly jackets: too many zips, letting in water.

I would be pleased to hear your views. Barbour are waterproof, but you poach in your own sweat and they are noisy.

Thanks.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havnt found anything who fill all require ment its either robust and rainprof =noisy and sweaty
or light, less sweat= Rainproof max one season,often broken after a season or two.
I like my Marmot jacket but the pants are now broken and replaced(1,5 year). A pair of legs only strapped in your belt and a modern jacket is a compromise what would work.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
The most water proof kit I have ever owned has to be my Ridgeline monsoon jacket.
However take more than 10 steps and run the risk of drowning in your own sweat.
Jakti Jakt kit is pretty good value,late maybe three seasons before,briars,bramble,gorse,barbed wire take their toll

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIKA98K:
The most water proof kit I have ever owned has to be my Ridgeline monsoon jacket.
However take more than 10 steps and run the risk of drowning in your own sweat.
Jakti Jakt kit is pretty good value,last maybe three seasons before,briars,bramble,gorse,barbed wire take their toll

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
You men have more experience than I, but I do not believe a really good solution exists for the harsh UK terrain and weather. I cannot support Gore-Tex (aka sweat-tex or loud tex) I just stay with wool for the most part.

It seems like most kit today is designed for someone to get out of their vehicle and make a short hike to the high seat.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that someone would buy something from the Chugach NX line from Kuiu and tell us if it's worth the money.

http://store.kuiu.com/chugach-...n-jacket-p/51003.htm

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the guides I was with in NWT had the Yukon gear and I've checked out the Chugach line. Chugach would probably be ok for light rain. Heard that water will eventually soak thru if its really coming down. Yukon is much more durable. They said it worked well even in heavy downpour and also held up to busting thick brush.

A few years ago I was given some advice. Its either breathable or waterproof. Pick one... I've been using Helly Hansen Impertech since. Doesn't breathe at all but keeps you very dry no matter what.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kammo is pretty good especially the camoflage material as it's silent, waterproof and quite hard wearing although it needs cold weather.

Agricultural work is death to kit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you need to be totally water proof then it has to be rubber coated, anything that is truly waterproof means you are going to condense sweat on the inside on the plus side it doesn't weigh anymore wet than it is dry and it drys quickly including wiping the inside down if you can't wait.

Gortex is fine for light occasional rain but that is it, it takes a long time to dry and becomes quiet heavy when soaken wet

I did a bear hunt in south east Alaska along the coast where it rains almost constantly, it also has jungle like thickness in underbrush.
I was told to leave the gortex behind and get rubber coated gear. The guide and assistnt guides plus all the fishing guide I saw wore Grundens of Sweden. I bought Helly Hansen and it worked fine for the ten days I was there and only had a couple of punctures which duck tape fixed. What is nice about Grundens certain coats they make have cuffs inside the arms to prevent water from getting in if you take a dunk or lift your arms. I recently bought the Grundens mainly because of that.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. And please keep it coming.

I have heard very mixed comments about Goretex clothing. I like the look of the Sitka gear and have a Swazi anorak. However, the latter is a bit light in colour and is noisy when crawling. I keep it away from anything remotely sharp and abrasive. Or least try to do.

With the Goretex, I noticed although hunters cry foul, it is used by the military (USA, UK & France) for their EWCS parkas etc.

I agree that anything remotely resembling work - fencing, cutting wood / forestry and moving hay bales, back when they were oblong cubes and you did not need a tractor to pick up the bales, 'kills' clothing. even the mighty Barbours do n't like that sort of thing. I have rips, worn thin patches and 'splits' on the cuffs over the years.

I think my choice will come down to something from Grundens or, possibly, the Australian Seal Flex diary farmer waterproofs.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I've been using the Swedteam smock for two years now it is light weight for packing onto the hill and very warm when you get it on. If you need to move with it on then the gortex liner is fully breathable and you are comfortable. There is a good hood for keeping the rain out and a vino pouch on the front to keep the rain off the lenses.

Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat about it but it kept me warm and dry in a hail storm last year so gets a big thumbs up from me. Also it dries quickly overnight for successive outings.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mention you have a Swazi anorak but it's noisy ?
Check out the Tahr XP or the Wapiti Coat with the new Aegis fabric.
Both great wet weather outers and IMHO quiet to wear.
Even smart deer like the Sambar loose a lot of hearing advantage when it's really peeing down.
Cheers.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote