Find
Notify
Tools

Belgian gun laws
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
My parents are living in Belgium and were told that the law on firearms will change very soon, so they should buy any guns now as the requirements are just an ID card for a centrefire hunting gun. Can anyone verify this?
Also, I wanted to ask how much it would cost for a hunter to join a hunting club in the Ardennes? I have heard that the boar hunting is quite good, but very dear compared to other locations...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun laws:

You can buy a centerfire rifle but you need to have... a Belgian ID card.
If you have a residence in Belgium, and a temporary id card, i believe you can buy.
I ll'find out , one of my friends is a gundealer!

Anyway you can only buy hunting, non semi-automatic guns like bolt action , lever action and pump action centerfire and no military calibers.

The gun law change isn't going to happen yet. It was rejected and at the moment they are to busy forming a new governement (we just had elections)

Kind regards from the monkey b-country
Dirk scout

Posts: 149 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi dirk
What do you mean by military calibers ?is it like France No 308,3006 6,5x55. 7x57,8x57 3040 223, and then what is left!!!! and then you are critical to france and french made guns, nothing is better caliber than 6,5x55 or 7x57 and 3006.These laws are writen by no hunting office guys and often a real pain in the a... to the hunters.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Yes, I enquired in a gunshop and they said stuff like the .223 or .308 were "military calibers". This is a pain as cheap ammo is easiest to find for these calibers and all makes of gun are chambered for them. On the other hand a .222 or a 7x64 will leave the animal just as dead....if only "military caliber" restrictions were the only worry we have to deal with in Europe!!!
I am planning on getting a .243 winchester, primarily as a practice gun for other big game trips, although I would love to take it on a hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, aren't those "no military caliber" laws a pain in the neck, and TOTALLY superfluous!! One wonders what is supposed to be achieved by disallowing ownership of a .30-06 when a .300 Win Mag is OK?? Mind boggling! Still, just goes to show: once you have stupid (and outdated) laws on the books, they are so much harder to get rid of. Remember that lesson, the next time new (crummy) gun laws are looming! Mostly they only serve the purpose of showing to the electorate that politicians "really mean business" - reality being that you can't outlaw guncrime!

I'll get off my soapbox now [Smile]

- mike

[ 05-31-2003, 21:34: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
mike
what you said is the truth of the whole matter! no matter what country you are in,if you want to kill somebody,why does the caliber make any difference? why do you not forfeit your life if you comit such a crime? and the same with any law on any kind of guns.what make the difference if its full auto or not? none if you do not intend to use it to kill people.here in the u.s.a. they made the 1934 N.F.A. act to keep tax agents working after prohibition was thrown out on booze.they wanted the jobs ,hence the votes,so they made up stupid laws that have nothing to do with safety of the population,just tax dollars and votes.after all it was the great depression and good jobs like goverment jobs were hard to come by.and a added plus was these same agents then voted for the party in power at the time,DEMOCRATS!69 years later the same party is still trying to take away our guns.and in the last 20 years the Republicans are getting to be almost as bad.another 20 years and the generations that have fought such stupidity will be dean and gone and so will be the right to have guns! but this is just in MHO.
muskrat
free men own guns, slaves do not!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For The Scotsman: i Was shooting most of the day outside (clay pigeons and bowling pins with my FN GP in 33� c...pf. hot..)so no news from my friend gundealer!
Calibers you can buy on a Belgian ID Card without gun permit:7x57,270,300 Win mag,7mm rem mag, 7mm/08 Remington, 243, 7x 64, 6,5 x 68, 9,3 x62, 300wsm, 308 norma mag, 338 win, 338 LAPUA MAGNUM(nice ..)300 savage, 6,5 x 57, .30 Blaser,260 rem, 7,5 x 55 swiss?,25 06,222 rem, 270weath., 330weath.,45 70, 444 mrlin, 30 30,375 H&H.

As you can see: some calibers like 7 x57 and 7,5 x 55 swiss are also on the list.

I bought a 308 because i liked the scout rifle and also because it's a caliber you easy find cheap ammo, that's why i applied for the license but before i shot a lot....several thousands of 7x 57, also a very nice and effici�nt caliber.

dirk scout from sunny Flanders
(How's the weather in Scotland? At the moment!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
To Danny Pay:
See previous postings about calibers: In Belgium you can hunt with 308, 3006 , 223, 303 British but for purchasing such a gun you need to do an exam and waiting period of 3 months.
See also my list of free calibers. A LOT!!
No i don't like French guns but "Unique "is very good. Why buy a Renault or Citro�n when you can buy a toyota or a Volkswagen? Less breakages.
A lot of French come to Belgium: to steal, to cross to Holland to buy drugs, to do traffic offences, to misbehave themselves...To refuse to pay in the trains.(see my job).(I often have to ask for Police assistance for them); to drive at 150 km/hour where you can do 120.(our Police just shot one of those brutal French Gangsters dead this morning)
Lukily Our Friend Edmond is not that type!

Greetings Edmond, have one on mine!
Dirk scout

[ 06-02-2003, 00:07: Message edited by: dirk_scout ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
The weather is alternating between pouring rain, then radiant sunshine. My father went to a couple gunshops and it is always a shock to remember how much more expensive a simple remington is in Europe than those advertised in US magazines. My father found out that they give you 3 documents to keep track of you (1 for the shop, 1 for the Overijse commune's police station, and one for the central police station).
By the way, do you know of any difficulty in importing a rifle from another country as opposed to buying it in Belgium? My father travels to Czechia quite often and could try to get a CZ at the source, certainly at a lower price.
By the way, apart from the shooting range in Wavre, are there any other good places to try out a gun?

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Hey Boghossian, next time you go to the CTM in Wavre, drop me a line. I go to the shooting range every wednesday PM and saturday AM

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun laws in Belgium:

News: If you are registered in a Belgian Town and you have a Belgian Foreigners ID -Card you can buy a hunting gun on a model 9 form. Otherwise it's illegal and an offence!
The model 9 form for the purchase of a gun is in 3 parts. The white for the Police of your residence, the yellow for the seller, the red for the buyer of the gun!

Otherwise you have to apply for a gun license at the Provincial Government of the province where you want to buy.

By the way: 243 is only legal for Roedeer and fox; not for boar!If you need more info Mail me and i give you my Phone number!

For all the boys: http://www.meerspirit.be/cafe.php
This political party want's to ban private Gun ownership: Below on this forum you can post a message about gun ownership. Me and my friends can no longer because we have send to much critics and they banned our IP adress....
But you still can react against these motherf...

Dirk

[ 06-02-2003, 14:46: Message edited by: dirk_scout ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheap gun:
I think Luxemburg is one of the cheapest countries to buy. see at this adress:http://www.lorang.lu/
Otherwise the CZ guns are very good and not expensive and The Kettner Gunshop in Antwerp has also some good offerings!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dirk - I was told that Kettner has gone bust within the last week - can you confirm this?

Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the website is in flemish, so I couldn't give them a piece of my mind. Do you think it is likely additional restrictions will be made by the new government? I know that Brussels has a very anti-hunting stance and banned the last few hound packs a couple years ago [Frown]
The gun will be in my father's name, and I have a valid ID card in Belgium as I only study here in Edinburgh, so Overijse is my permanent residence.
BTW from what I understand, it is cheaper to go to Eastern Europe and hunt than to join a club in Belgium, can you confirm this? I have been to the Czech Republic once (see mouflon post) and found it catered almost exclusively to Western European hunters (MANY Germans)...any experiences?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What "fun" to read about the B gun laws, now that they don't matter to me anymore! But anyhow...the boar hunting being good in the Ardennes? The after-hunting party is good....

My uncle and cousin lease some hunting rights there. They get invited to all sort of driven affairs in the fall. They attended once, and never will again. Maybe they were just unlucky, but the ratio to fired shots and killed game, or ratio of hunters to killed game, was out of proportion by any standard. Good food and drink afterwards though.

Too bad they closed the May season on roe buck. Even if I can't participate anymore, it was my favorite.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The website of Lorang luxembnurg is in 3languages!

The Kettner website is in German!(It's a German company)

The shop, of kettner in Antwerp t-phone:03/2316635
fax:2321865.

If you are in Belgium, send me a mail and i send you the Nr. of my mobile phone. Maybe i can make you member in the best open air shooting range of Belgium. About the Ardennes: stay away: THe fat Rich Germans and Dutch and Luxemburgers come shooting and take all the hunting parts for big money. I always go hunting in Scotland, Poland, St-Africa and this summer Hungary. By the way it's possible i go back to south Africa to a place were we can do cheap hunting. Probably end october, if you are intrested....

Dirk scout from the B-monkey country

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dirk
I did read your comments about frenchs [Big Grin] it sounds a little bit too flemlish nationalist [Wink] i 've lived many of best years of my life in France and i found frenchs are great people. anyway when i drink red wine it is french when i drink beer it is danish (may be belgian too [Smile] )and naturally scotch should be from Scotland .there good and evil in every nation you can not judge a peple for a few bad guys [Razz] .vive la France mais vive la petite Belgique aussi [Big Grin]
danny

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
Hi Dirk
I did read your comments about frenchs [Big Grin] it sounds a little bit too flemlish nationalist [Wink] [Razz] .vive la France mais vive la petite Belgique aussi [Big Grin]
danny

Agreed...

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of my friends are french speaking; but i admit that our culture is (in my opinion) a lot more correct than the French culture.If you work in the two parts of Belgium you can see that there is a huge difference between the Flemish and the walloons! Why do i never have difficulties with people in the Flemish part (they all pay their tickets) and why do me and my colleagues have so many problems in the French speaking part of Belgium? ???Flemish people work a lot, they have a good level of education and like to spend their money; some people do not like working, they are not well educated, they are not polite and they are always on strike. It's up to you my boys to decide who!
But ;as i told you ...a lot of my friends are french speaking and they are not like that...maybe it's the prove that after all there is some future....
Everybody in Belgium says now it's becoming a monkey-country, 3 governements : a lot of unnecessary people ...a lot of money lost ;a lot of idiots in the politics...trying to ruin the reputation of our country. And ... a lot of bullshiting and no action...Sorry if i hurt some feelings of the people who really want the best for my (monkey-)country.

A sincere appologize,
Dirk_scout

one of us
posted Hide Post
To danny Pay:

Did you know that a lot of my French speaking colleages prefer to work in the Flemish part of Belgium because they have less trouble and the people are a lot more polite and correct; some did even appologize for the misconduct of some Walloons!
Dirk scout, the Flemish nationalist!

one of us
posted Hide Post
To Andr� and Danny:

I regulary see immigrants from countries far away; they are 2 up to 3 years in Belgium and they speak quite good Flemish! [Wink] I know people and politicians who were born in Belgium and live in Brussels and after 35 years still do not speak 30 decent words of Flemish! [Mad] I would be very embarressed living in Switserland and only speaking German or Italian or French...and what about the people of Luxemburg: most of them speak French, Letzeburgs and German... [Cool] Why can't all Belgians speak French and... Flemish.. [Frown] The truth is quite simple : some of them just don't want to... [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Dirk Scout from the b-monkey country

[ 06-09-2003, 03:27: Message edited by: dirk_scout ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of becoming too political..in the Netherlands we have a province called Friesland, and elected officials have at times refused to speak Dutch, but instead used the Friesian dialect (they call it a language [Frown] ), when interviewed on national television. For me that would be reason to sack the...bad word deleted...His salary comes (came) partially out of my pocket, he'd better make the effort to make himself understood ...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi dirk
As i said before i,ve lived many years in France and I didn't find frenchs to be unpolite or rude in general,but there are always some exceptions. The famous sewdish steel has much to do with wallon imigrant which imigrated to Sweden for a few hundred years ago to exploite iron mines in Dalarna and there are plenty of Swedes with proud Wallonian origin, usualy good metalurges and gun makers. in the other hand i've good experience from people of nederland and belgium realy nice persons. when i read texts in flemlish i can nearly understand the meaning because language is too close to swedish,but when i hear flemlish speaking sorry it is difficult to understand [Big Grin] it is maybe way those walonian never learn flemlish [Wink]
best regards
danny
ps-i love but wallons and flemlishes and in my eyes they are all good EUROPEAN citizens

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Of course you are right about the french; [Wink] i often went for my previous job many times to France and people with education are ok.
But we do have lot's of certain youngsters from "French" origin coming to Belgium just for drugs smuggling, theft, violent crime... [Razz]
The police in Antwerp targets systhematically French cars... and they have good reasons for it... [Cool]
But i did not target the French in particular; I was more talking about the French speaking community in Belgium.I can assure you that the wallons in general (i am talking about my job) do not show much respect towards somebody working for the government. Also a lot of the youngsters there think it's a sport not to pay and to make trouble. Their shool results are often below our Flemish standards.
The Flemish youth is very polite and very correct and they all speak decent French. A lot of the wallons think that dutch is the language only for farmers and they don't want to study the second language of their country. I often got "racist "remarks from people ; just when they noticed that i am Flemish when working in the French speaking part of Belgium. [Confused]

And now finished ; item closed we only speak about guns .... [Big Grin] Dirk scout from Flanders [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
"That Woman " [Mad] of SPIRIT (Belgian political party who thinks citizens should not have their guns at home but leave them in the police station after use) [Big Grin] (after you just shot your wife?????like an assh... just did) [Frown] is bullshitting again on tv.
Please send all your opinions to their forum:
http://www.meerspirit.be/cafe.php and please don't be to kind..... [Cool] just tell the truth!
Dirk scout from the b-monkey country