THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Swarovski TDS reticle and Red Hind picture

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski TDS reticle and Red Hind picture
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
This morning saw me in position on a wooded valley system leading onto moorland, the purpose was to see if any fox's were travelling it, we had about 3" of snow.

In position before first light, the sun came up and I wished the wind was blowing from the west, then I would have been in the sun and alot warmer!

No fox's appeared but a hind and a calf did, with an unloaded rifle I decided to try for a photograph through the scope, this was my results....

This is the swarovski TDS reticle

In the harsh climate this was my first attempt at a picture through scope, lined up on the deer - not great!

This one is much better, I was well chuffed with it!!

Ah yes the range was 289 yards with the scope on 18 power, thought this linked in nicely with Griff's complaint to "long" shooting at Arran?

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Great photo's and a nice landscape Richard. We have had snow at first light this past two days - I looked out at it and got back into bed.

I have stayed out of the Arran / long shot debate, but 300 yards on deer is very "do-able" with the right mix of rifle, scope and skill.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good pics, great morning to.

O love ranging reticles or mildots that I prefere, they are tools to better the shooting taking place.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent pictures,

a shot like that i would say is do-able for a man like you.

a red deer is quite a big target!!

hope you got the gritters out ready for Thursday.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Richard

Thanks for taking the time to post. The landscape looks spectacular and even better to see that hind and calf on the mooch.

A mere chip shot for yourself. coffee

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes NOt sure about the mere chip shot Jon!!!!

But the red deer are like dustbin lids compared to the fox's at that range!! Big Grin

Did manage a couple of carrions in the snow, which are very satisfying, missed a few rabbits which I am still scratching my head about!!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nightwalker- carrions? What are those, do enlighten a poor swedish hunter, to bad about your missed rabbits.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by nightwalker uk:
Roll Eyes NOt sure about the mere chip shot Jon!!!!

But the red deer are like dustbin lids compared to the fox's at that range!! Big Grin

Did manage a couple of carrions in the snow, which are very satisfying, missed a few rabbits which I am still scratching my head about!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Chris, carrion crows?
They do their best at searching out birds eggs at this time of year, and also play havoc with new born lambs - pecking eyes and tongues out.

We control them as much as we can, trapping and shooting they do dislike a 40 grain ballistic tip Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos. The hind looks surprisingly small at that power.

What ranges do the reticle stadia relate to?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894mk2, I haven't done a full scale test on the stadia lines yet, this scope and rifle set up is relatively new.

But a quick glance at the tables indicate in 223 with 40gr Nos BT with zero range of 100yds, 2nd cross is 230yds, 3rd cross is 350yds, 4th cross is 450yds and 5th cross is 550yds.

The later intersections are of little concern to me but it did coincide with a positive hit on a Canada Goose at 350yds the other night.

Just waiting for better weather to do some testing!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
A Canada goose at 350m?

Man, you have style... clap

Love it.

I consider my best rifle shot to date was a magpie that was later paced at 173 yards.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian

Canada Geese are huge compared to a crow,

Alex Y is gonna laugh at this he witnessed me missing a crow at 100 yds yesterday Mad

The evening I got the long goose also got another 13, they are FU#@*ng heavy aren't they!!!! lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey NW,

i wouldn't have said a word about the missed crow,
just like we never talk about the cat in Somerset!

do geese have poor hearing? does the Eee Orrr not scare them off?

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right Gentlemen never talk about a "pussy"

Big Grin