Find
Notify
Tools

CWD & Muntjac Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted
I have just returned from a unique hunt.
The hunt was offered by Mike Taylor Sporting.
Hunt was for a trophy CWD & a Trophy Muntjac plus 4 cull deer.
I hunted Dec 5th-6th & 7th.
What a different type of hunt and land it was. Strange to see green grass in Dec. The weather was a little cold and damp one day and the next two days the sun was out. Sill cold but dry.
Mike had a room for me at a local B&B. Great place with super food.
The CWD are relatively easy to hunt. The rut was on while i was there. The only trick was to find a good set of teeth.
I shot this one after laying in the wet grass for over a hour waiting on it to stand up.

Nice set of teeth on him

The following day we hunted a different property for the Muntjac.
This was quite a different hunt. It was at a place they did driven pheasant hunts. They mainly kept to the woods. We stalked around the edges looking with binoculars and a thermal scope.
We saw quite a few but when this one was spotted the stalker said shoot as fast as you can, He was impressed with his size. These don't stand around, they were always moving. Not fast and not far but never stood still

These guys have small teeth also

On the 3rd day we just shot does. they are plentiful and not a problem to shoot a bunch in a day.
To give you a idea on how small these deer are. This backpack has 2 full adult does in it

Overall we had a great trip. The hunt was only part of the adventure. My wife and i toured the country for 8 days. Saw some wonderful sites and ate some awesome food. If you have ever watched Farming The Wild on the Outdoor Channel. We went to both of the restaurants. Food was outstanding. Highly recommended if you are in the area

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice deer, sounds like a great trip, and Mike Robinson'S restaurants would be a must. His tv show is top notch, glad you and the wife had a great time

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
What a cool trip! Thanks for sharing, and very unique looking deer.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 248 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Congratulations on two fine bucks.

Doing the very same hunt in February with a friend driving over from Germany.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Congratulations on two fine bucks.

Doing the very same hunt in February with a friend driving over from Germany.

Charlie,
i am sure you will enjoy it. I know of another AR member that is doing the same hunt in Feb.
Had a great time in England.
I have a hunt planned in Romania for next August and Germany the following year

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report Chris and a couple of neat trophies. I am following you too... and maybe Charlie, I hunt CWD and muntjac in late February on a hunt arranged by Mike Taylor.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Russell hey, When are you over ? We are near Oxford 23 - 26 Feb.

Chris, When, where in Germany and what are you planning on hunting ?

Happy New Year 2023 all!

Charlie

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
I fly into London on the 18th and hunt the 19th, 20th and 21st. Then on the 22nd, I fly from London to Malaga, Spain to chase SE and Ronda ibex the next 5 days...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Shame, we will miss you by a day or two. Wish you a great hunt in the UK and great hunt in Spain! Look forward to hearing about them end Feb.

I too will post pics if successful.

And again Chris, great bucks and thanks for sharing!

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Charlie,
I fly into London on the 18th and hunt the 19th, 20th and 21st. Then on the 22nd, I fly from London to Malaga, Spain to chase SE and Ronda ibex the next 5 days...

Hi Russell,

I have you down as arriving in London on the 19th, then hunting 20th, 21st and 22nd. Flight to Malaga is on the 23rd.

I am very much looking forward to meeting you.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
You're right Mike... I leave on the 18th arriving the 19th. Off by a day. Responded off the cuff should've looked closer. Charlie, if you're around the evening of the 22nd I would love to meet up...

- Rudyard Kipling