THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Photos of large & unusual deer antlers.

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photos of large & unusual deer antlers.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted
I am interested to see photos of large and unusual deer antlers from different parts of europe. Any additional information such as weight and score (CIC, SCI etc.) Will make an interesting discussion for me.

I will start with this one.
It is a Red Stag/Elk hyrid type. The antlers weigh 8.5 kilo per piece and my estimate on the SCI score is 500-510. CIC I am not sure.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell! Those are outrageous antlers!

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture of a spiker's cast antlers that I photographed last year. the same animal was nothing special as a 2-3-4 year old. But as a spiker 42 points. Very unusal.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tracker I will be in NZ in April, think I better pack the 30-06 too Smiler Smiler

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Wow! those are incredible. Do you have a photo of the animal wearing those monsters?

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Which one?

If in NZ don't be shy to pay a visit. Regardless of the rumours, not everyone needs to mortgage the house, or sell the car, to fire a few shots in NZ.

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I would like to see photos of the stag if possible.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
I'll keep bumping the thread to top with new photos, in continuing hope that someone will reciprocate. Am real interested to see antler photos of large and unusual Red Stags.

Here a picture of a very large and quite unusual Red Stag, shot by a German hunter this week. Weight 15 KG. SCI Score 481. CIC I'm guessing around 260+ points.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 unusual roe buck heads

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
That second roebuck is really interesting. Very dark colour with what looks like virtually no pearling. Looks like 8 points unless I'm missing some?

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup 8 points. Blind on the 5 point side.

The other is 12 points

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Awesome looking antlers guys!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, the Otago herd is still producing some really heavy stuff. Is there Warnham blood in there somewhere?

You are most certainly going to get me visiting sometime in the future. Could we combine with Thar/Chamois?

To add to the listing of unusual antlers....

'Artemis' with 'Loppy'.......an interesting malform Japanese Sika. She had been chasing this fellow for two years - so very happy to catch up and take him out of the gene pool.

Right pedicle mislocated, last season the antler drooped right down - forming a big 'S' when seen from the front.

Rgds Mod Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:

Those have got to be from a farmed or enclosed animal surely?

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
An old and unusual Fallow Buck. 11-12 years old. 3.5 kilos. Thick beams.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
An unusual Red Stag. Large palmated drop tine on the right. Not much antler on the left. Also has crossed over brow tines. (I have never seen this before.)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/trackersnz/Unusu...ntlersMay2007007.jpg

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Great pics, keep them coming.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Great heads !!

Down here we don't have those kind of animals in the wild.

With all the genetic manipulation that NZ have been doing (crossbreeding diferent species,etc) do you find that kind of animals in really wild areas or they are more restricted to hunting farms ?

I think this can be the starting point of a very good and honest talk about what we really want as hunters. Don't get me wrong, I love those trophies and I know they can be as wild as any other red stag in the world but I still prefer the not so impressive antlers of truly wild blood lines.

Is what New Zealand offering the future of the red stag hunting? I know in Spain they are trying to keep the blood line of their original deers, smaller but indigenous to that country.

In Argentina there has already started the same thing that in your country and some enclosures are importing stags from your country.

I want to be clear, I think NZ lines are fantastic trophies but I am still not sure if they are my cup of tea.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Cheers Lorenzo, would make an interesting discussion, why not start one. This one was intended for photos. Wink

Now a picture of a moose/fallow hybrid.... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy Smoke! A Moose/Fallow hybrid - not a cross ever likely to be seen in the wild I guess!

I have in my mind, this vision of Great Dane/Chihuaha 'under construction' Smiler

Tell us the history behind this one please Trackers.

Rgds Ian Wink

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap

That was a good one !!!! Big Grin

I have some fallow down here but no moose around, but I know a man who can make a very interesting hybrid Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Very large Wapiti:
20 Kilograms
SCI 466

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Large Red Stag;

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Down here we don't have those kind of animals in the wild.

Lorenzo, mate, we don't have them like that in the wild down here either.

"Tim Antlerhands"

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Anything sufaced this season?

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Anything new surfaced this season?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Hell, the Otago herd is still producing some really heavy stuff. Is there Warnham blood in there somewhere?

According to D. Bruce Banwell the Otago wild herd is from Scottish Highland (Invermark) stock, the English Park bloodlines from Warnham, Windsor and Stoke are more prevalent on the North Island.

Here's a photo that I took of the largest wild stag in the UK, it is known as the Endsleigh Stag and it lived in the Tamar valley on the Cornwall/Devon border. Amazingly it was almost never seen during its life although cast antlers from most years were recovered.

It died in 1950 after injuring itself trying to get into a compound with hinds ironically intended to prolong its genetic line and was slightly going back but still had 20 points and a length of 45" scoring an estimated 224.5 CIC points. The angle of the photo does not give a true impression of the length of the antlers and I could not get my hand round the antler between the brow and bay tines.

What I like about it is the very symetrical classic shape with no freakish characteristics.

I believe a wild stag was shot not far from this area last year on the Cornish side of the river which pushed this one very hard but didn't quite reach the same score.

Its 1949 head had 24 points but was slightly smaller. This is the 1949 set of cast antlers

If you are in the SW of England and want to see this head which was in the possession of G. Kenneth Whitehead for many years but has now gone "home" and you should go to the Endsleigh House Hotel near Tavistock and ask to see them, they are in the Ballroom/Function Room on the estate where he spent at least some of his time.

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
How many kg was this fallow?

quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:
Cheers Lorenzo, would make an interesting discussion, why not start one. This one was intended for photos. Wink

Now a picture of a moose/fallow hybrid.... Big Grin

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
5.2kg including skull.