New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ireland got most hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the last issue of the member magazine for the Norwegian Hunting and Sport Fishing Union, there is a listing over wich country in Europe who has most hunters related to number of inhabitans.
Ireland tops the list with 8,9 % hunters.
The rest of the list gos like this:
2. Finland 5.8 %
3. Norway 4.7 %
4. Sweden 3.6 %
5. Denmark 3.2 %
6. Spain 2.8 %
7. Greece 2.7 %
8. France 2.3 %
8. Portugal 2.3 %
10. Italy 1.6 %
11. Austria 1.4 %
12. Great Britain 1.3 %
13. Tchekia 1.1 %
14. Germany 0.4 %
15. Poland 0.3 %

It dosn´t say where they got the numbers, but most likely some EU statistics ?
But what about Switzerland, Iceland, Belgium and the Netherlands?

If it is so, whay do we have so few AR members from the Emerald Isle ??

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
The Irish result does not surprise me, as I personaly have met many keen hunters from Ireland.
I was more surprised with the result from Greece and Italy, both countries having large % of gun ownership!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I can only go by my own experiences in Northern Ireland, here the incidence of firearms ownership is very high, particularly in the rural areas. In the area I was brought up in, about 80% of the homes had sporting guns, usually a couple of shotguns and a .22.

A lot of people would not be absolutely dedicated hunters but would head out for a few days every year, particularly around christmas.

Since firearms legislation was eased here a few years back, sales of centrefire rifles has gone through the roof.

Good gunclubs, wildfowling and game shooting clubs and syndicates have waiting lists years long to join.

Private pistol ownership is also very common.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Iceland: just about 2.4% are hunters (those that have a valid hunting licence).

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild, Dugga & CD,

O.K. I agree this could possibly have some credence but I'm trying to understand where the #'s came from?

Here in Germany everyone who has a hunting license and validates it can easily be tracked for statistical purposes.

How are the numbers compiled in countries like England where almost nobody has a "Hunting License", but rather "Shotgun Permits" and Rifle Certificates"?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question, I wonder if they counted all those that follow foxhunting packs or dig terriers as hunters?
This would significantly raise numbers.

I agree with claret dabbler that although there are a lot of gunowners in rural regions, many are not 'dedicated sportsmen' and only shoot on the odd occasion.

Countries with an annually renewed hunting licence must have the most credible results.

BTW both Belgium and the Netherland have between 28-30K hunters. A small drop in the overall population.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duggaboybuff:
The Irish result does not surprise me, as I personaly have met many keen hunters from Ireland.
I was more surprised with the result from Greece and Italy, both countries having large % of gun ownership!

This is just my 2 cents but here's what I think.

I have met a ton of people from both Greece and Italy that were shooters, but very few hunted. I think this has to do with financial demographics, and just very small numbers of game.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should be interesting to get to know the source for the list, will try to mail the Union and ask.
What surprice me is Ireland as # 1.(and I recon the list refers to The Republic of Ireland).

One seldom read or hear anything about shooting or stalking in Ireland, even though I have seen lots of deer both in the Wicklows, Vale of Avoca and along the Shannon and on the Tipperary plains.

England and Scotland is well known as prime hunting areas, but Eire......silence ...utter silence.

In the castle Bunratty in County Clare, there are some very impressive stag trophies , presumably from the now distinct giant Irish stag who ones roamed the then forrested island.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Judging by thwe number of people out in Cyprus on opening day of the partridge season I can guarentee that more than 8%-9% of the population hunts/shoots small game. (Rifles being illegal on the island)

Honestly I've seen less people on Oxford street on Xmas Eve..... well almost Wink

Rgds,

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild Iversen, I think that the silence is attiributable to a lack of marketing.

There is a lot of good hunting in Scotland/England too, but it is advertised online/magazines etc etc etc

Until this year non-Irish citizens could not bid on stalking concessions from the forestry board.
Guided operations are few and far between and it is a country where people still shoot for free through relatives/friends of friends.
Stalking is getting more and more popular over there as the police allows more people to own large caliber weapons.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Boghossian,

That's great news about Ireland. Glad to see a posatiave flow in gun ownership!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even better news (hopefully not temporary).
After a 2004 court ruling, handgun licences are being issued again. Everyone has to join a range etc to have good reason + safe storage. Fingers crossed the legislation doesn't change because the cops don't like the added responsibility.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Does that mean that residents of the UK could own and store handguns in the Irish Republic and pop over for a weekends target shooting? Innttteeeerrrrrsssssstttttttiieiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggggg!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got mail, and according to the Norwegian Hunter and Sportfishers Union the numbers are from FACE i Bruxelles. The FACE is the European "umbrella" organiation for the national hunting organitions.

The statistic shows how many hunters in each country who have paid the hunters annual fee.

As an exampel they mention that in Norway more than 400.000 hunters are in the national hunters register, but only 190.000 payed the annual fee in 2005, and only thous are in the statistic.

They also said that only countries with more than 100.000 registered hunters are included in the statistic.

As with all statistic this clearly shows just a part of the whole picture.
Countries like Cyprus and Ireland where small game hunting are very popular, score accordingly high on the list when seen as percentage of the total populatin.
This according to the Norwegian Hunters and Sportfishers Union.

Arild Iversen.