New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
... in the Palatinate Forest, near the French border on the annual "Santa Claus Hunt": Hunting goddess Diana showed me more than one of her boobs.

That was some quite exciting day, I had hunted there already twice this year in October, had seen game but had not had the opportunity to fire a shot. Yesterday was a cold but very nice winter morning, no snow but the ground and all the leaves were frozen stiff, excellent conditions for a successfull hunt because you can hear the animals approaching and get ready before they appear.

My first stand was on the foot of a steep wooded slope, between some rocks on top and the forest trail where I was positioned. The official beginning when the drivers start moving and release the dogs was scheduled for 10 AM. Once you are given your stand and informed about the areas where to shoot safely, you can load up and get ready. 5 minutes before starting time I heard the typical noise of big, long-legged feet approaching. Trap, trap, trap, then silence. More steps and BOOOM, a shot from my neighbour on the left. More steps, this time faster and and Mrs. Red Doe and her calf appear. The calf is hit in the upper belly and, obviously, already quite sick. Before I can shoot it goes down behind a fallen tree. Done for good, I think, happy to be able to go for the mother. The doe continues for a while up-hill, then looks back, standing free. I fire the 30/06 and can see that I hit her well in the chest, however, she runs, only to stop again some steps later. WHAAM, another shot drops her, she rolls downhill. Some minutes later a dog appears and goes after the calf which is, as I can hear, not yet dead. The dog leaves and I can see a head popping up from behind the tree. I stand up and get a little closer, BANG, another shot to the neck and I can't see it no more. Dead, I think but then another dog, more agressive than the first one comes and also goes for the calf. It gets up on it's feet like risen from the dead and starts running full-speed down-hill, followed by the dog! I take aim, swing and when it crosses the trail I fire. It drops and slides down some more meters, driven by its own momentum. The dog finishes it off. Well done, Drahthaar!

My first red deer, I am all exciting and decide that even if I will not see any other game today I'd be totally satisfied and happy, to return for sure next year, in case they hopefully invite me again.

One hour later, I'd seen a roe deer in the meantime speeding by, without real enthusiasm to shoot that animal, many shots and dogs barking, a sure sign for some good action could be heard from other areas. There are again steps coming from the same direction: A little pig, still brown, obviously separated from the family. It stops behind a tree, checking the escape route for Mom (maybe) and potential risks. All seems quiet, it steps forward, BOOM, the 150 grain Nosler Partition drops it. Jeez, now I got my pig, too! Some more minutes later, some more steps, this time a heavier animal: A bigger pig which I'd seen before on top of the rocks apparently wants to go back on the same route. It does not stand clear but moves uphill. A texas heartshot or, since it is climbing upwards, a shot in the neck? No, I better wait, maybe there is a better chance. There is, before climbing up the rocks the pig stands still for a moment and shows it's broadside. I only have to pull the trigger and shoot about 100 meters uphill, it starts to run but after a few steps tumbles and rolls downhill, crashing, nearly half the way. At 11:30 when the first hunt is over, it takes us some time to collect all the animals and put them into the trailer. I cannot believe my luck.

After lunch with pea stew, sausage and punch (alcool free, of course), we will hunt another area. Again steep hills, oak trees which have been visited frequently and recently by the pigs to eat the acorns, also many thickets where most likely they are hidden during the day, resting. We sneak along the trail, trying to make as little noise as possible. We are 3 Dutch guys, 2 German hunters and the supervisor, 2 dogs, one Wachtelhund and one sow-coloured, dark-blond Griffon. I am the last one to reach my stand at 2 PM, it is in an open area on top of a hill with tall trees, surrounded by thickets, away from the main trail. It looks good, I am all for myself. The shooting starts at 2:30, even though the dogs will not be released before 2:45. There must be a good bunch of pigs down there in the valley, the shooting gets even wilder when the dogs are released. It is a pleasure and quite an excitement to hear them hunting and chasing the animals. I watch one single roe deer speeding by, no pigs so far but am quite satisfied already. I even dooze of a little, I have to admit.

Then, already after 3 o'clock I see some movement in the thicket below me. Is it another dog? One really has to be carefull not to get confused but no, it is a single pig, slowly sneaking up the hill, standing still and winding every couple of meters. My safety is off, I am watching through the scope. If it shows it's broadside and stands free, I will shoot. No broadside however, it continues it's way straight towards me. Hell, what now, a head shot? When only 5 meters away (I am NOT exaggerating and it was a real big animal), it stops, I can see in it's eyes how it recognizes the danger, turns and runs away, circling my hill top in order to reach the pine thicket on the other side. Big mistake, I stand up, aim, swing and fire. I can see that I hit but it does not stop. Bolt back, new catridge, swing, aim and fire on the last 2 meters before the thicket. The beast screams when hit and I can hear it crashing into the thicket. It grunts and I can hear it kick and rattle for a while. The supervisor comes a little later and I explain him what'd happened. We decide to send in the dog because no Special Forces are avaiöable it's better to risk his hide than ours. He apparently finds it quick and starts barking, not the agressive sound like when calling a wounded sow to stand and deliver but rather a "come here guys, it's safe you can move in now." I offer assistance but the supervisor goes in and confirms the kill. He comes up again and we discuss where to take it after the hunt. Suddenly we see more movement, another single pig, about the size of the first one approaches again from downhill. It is difficult to keep the dog quiet but the sow continues to move through the thicket. I am ready, standing still but heart beating wildly, safety off and gun risen. When leaving the thicket it stops for a moment to wind. Big mistake once more, I have a clear view and fire. It twitches and runs away. We wait a couple of minutes and then go with the dog to have a look: No really clear sign, just some blood, hair and fat. It might have been only hurt lightly even though I remember seeing the crosshairs on it's life when pulling the trigger. We mark the spot and I move back to my stand. The supervisor continues to check for more signs. We'll have to bring a trailing dog afterwards to look for it more thoroughly.

I look around and see another pig coming along, basically from where the last one disappeared. Oh, did I hit it just lightly and it is now coming back, looking for a safe spot to hide? It circles around the hilltop the same way the first pig came along, not running but obviously in a hurry. I follow it with the rifle, when it crosses an opening between the trees I put the crosshairs on the neck and again pull the trigger, ROOMS, my last shot of the day. The pig crashs into the thicket, and I hear it kick several times in the same spot. That sounds good, dead pig for sure. The dog confirms the theory, we decide to call it a day, enough blood shed for this afternoon. We pull the pigs downhill through the thicket until reaching the next trail, then go get the rifles, I'll stay with my booty while the supervisor leaves to bring the truck and trailer. Was it the same pig I'd shot at before? It looks like, there are 2 bullet wounds, the one in the boiler room that dropped it and another fresh grazing shot on it's back.

A little later the supervisor comes with the trailer and the hunter with the Wachtel dog, who were based slightly downhill from where I'd stood. I proudly state that there is no more need to look for pig #2 because it's here, as predicted with two bullet wounds. No, they say , you did not grace it, you hit it well, it ran straigth downhill and ended it's life close to where the next guy was standing. He was ready to shoot but saw that there was no more need to do so. There had apparently been another pig around, already shot at and wounded by someone else.

We were a total of about 80 to 90 hunters and got 54 pigs, 4 red deer (2 calfs, 2 does), 4 roe deer and 3 foxes. Yours Truly accounts for about 10% of this result. This great day more than compensates for all the hours I'd spent during other hunts, sitting in the cold and rain, not seeing anything but listening to other people shooting. One has to be patient, sooner or later one day will be your day, just be prepared and practize.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DUK! Smiler

A great write up of a fantastic days driven hunting - if only they were all like that!

I don't think I will ever recover from a week on a stand in Sweden - waiting for the Moose that never came, in wind and rain that travels sideways!

Rgds Ian Wink

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Duk, hoping for a day just like that at some point between the 05th and 09th January next when we are in the Czech Rep.

Great day.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
I don't think I will ever recover from a week on a stand in Sweden - waiting for the Moose that never came, in wind and rain that travels sideways!

I remember many days sitting in the freezing cold Canadian bush wating for a whitetail buck to appear. When you do not see even a bloody hair for several days, you come close to give up hunting sometimes.

Of course, when the buck is there and down, mood changes quite drastically...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
DUK,

Great story well told!! Sounds like a hoot!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote