New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X64
 Login/Join

posted
hello,excuse me for my English.
can you say to me which ammunition you use in gauge 7x64.
the type of hunting, the game to drive out, the country in which you drive out.
thank you.
SEBASTIEN

Posts: 7 | Location: France | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sebastien,

I'm not sure I understand all your questions...

I haven't shot a 7x64 myself, but my cousin and uncle have..they have used all sorts of ammo in them. As far as I remember they had satisfactory results on most game they hunted, which would be roe deer, boar and red stag. Myself I'm a fan of big holes, and I've used a 9,3x62 on everything they have used the 7x64 on...I once read that most "schweisshundef�hrer" in Germany prefer 8mm and up for red deer and boar, because the exit holes (read: available blood for tracking) is bigger...but for decades the 7x64 has been THE universal weapons for hunters who shoot roe deer predominantly, and with the odd chance for bigger game as well. Looking at it's ballistics it should also do very well for European mountain game like chamois....

I'm not sure what you mean with your latter two questions...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bonjour Sebastien Welcome to AR
I have a friend who hunts with a 280 Remington, very similar ballistics to a 7x64. He uses Factory Federal with the 150gr. Nosler Partition. He has taken several head of African Plains game including Eland, which was the only animal he shot more than once, He shot it twice at the request of the PH. It works well in Texas on deer and wild pigs too.
Hope this helps.

Frans he is asking about hunting driven game, popular in the Scandinavian countries.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30/06 is metrically a 7,62x63 so the difference to the 7x64 or the rimmed 7x65R is very small. The cartridge was designed by Wilhelm Brennecke in the 1920s and is actually an overkill for roe deer and chamois but kills boar and elk very reliably.

For roe deer the tougher big game bullets like the RWS TUG or TIG are too hard and sometimes act like a FMJ, not killing reliably because they do not always open up.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Dans le 7x64 j'utilliser les cartouches deRws en Allemange pour tous les chasse. Le KS pour le Battue chass 'est bien. Pour le chasse en Afrique le TUG. Pardon mon Francais c'est un tres long temps. Si tu desire le CDP en le Suisee par RUAG AG c'est bien aussi. A quel fusee? J'ai un Blaser R 93 et un Mauser originale.

Bon Chance, Aleko

[ 05-08-2003, 20:17: Message edited by: Heritage Arms ]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sebastien
per l'utilisation g�n�rale Oryx de Norma ou RWS DK 154 grians , pour gibier a la battue TUG 177 grains .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bonjour Daniel,
mon armurier ne conseil que des Norma. Les RWS sont tres brutales.
Tu chasse avec une 7x64 ?
Quelle balle tires tu ? sur quels animaux ?

salutations Daniel

S�bastien

Posts: 7 | Location: France | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Federal Premium ammunition(160 gr. Nosler Partition) . My Steyr shoots less than 2 cm groups at 100 yards. It is slightly less accurate with my Sako and CZ.

It has worked well on Whitetail deer.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Blaser Kipplauf K 95 cal 7x65 R ( the same of 7x64) from seven years. With this gun I hunted in Europe, Africa and America and I killed many animals without problems. Also in my concession in Zimababwe I killed a big Eland Bull of over 750 kg with only one shot. Normally I use the RWS 173 grains TMR. Now I want try the RWS 177 TIG. I think is one of the best medium calibers, good for all the big game animals, naturally not for big five or dangerous animals, except the leopard.
I can conseil this caliber Also the RWS ammunitions are the best, powerful and accurate.
Mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In North America, one is better off using a 270 Winchester. While the 270's bullet is .277" (vs. .284 for the 7mm), game won't know the difference and ammunition is available almost anywhere.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Orion1 Sir, can you give an example on the ballistics of your 270Win ? I am interested in the caliber and presume you handload.

Regards

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBF:
Orion1 Sir, can you give an example on the ballistics of your 270Win ? I am interested in the caliber and presume you handload.

Regards

Georg, I don't handload nor shoot the 270 Winchester. I recommend it as the number one choice for a non-magnum 7 mm cartridge for North America based on popularity and availability. The 280 Remington is much more difficult to find, and is available is a lesser number of different loadings. The 7X64 is almost impossible to find just by walking into a store.

Here's a link to one of Winchester Ammunition's loadings for their most famous cartridge.

270 Winchester Ballistics

I'm a .30 caliber fan myself.

[ 05-16-2003, 17:56: Message edited by: Orion 1 ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bienvenur Seb.

Le 7X64 est le calibre universel pour le grand gibier en Europe (et pas le 30-06 contrairement � ce que beaucoup pr�tendent, tu sais qu'on n'a pas le droit de l'utiliser en France, ni en Belgique). Tu peux tuer n'importe quel animal avec ce calibre (je connais un gars qui a tu� son �l�phant avec sa 7X64 - avec une blind�e bien s�r).
Je n'ai pas de 7X64, mais j'utilise en battue une 7X65R, qui est la version � bourrelet, et balistiquement identique. Je tire des RWS Brenneke-TIG de 11,5 g, c'est parfait pour le chevreuil comme pour le sanglier (tu dois toujours penser au plus solide animal que tu risques de tirer, ce qui peut tuer un cochon tuera un chevreuil, l'inverse n'est pas toujours vrai). J'ai essay� les Norma Vulkan 11 g, mais l'expansion est trop rapide � mon go�t, �a creuse de v�ritables crat�res dans les chevreuils et la p�n�tration est m�diocre sur les gros sangliers.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would compare the 7 X 64 to the 280 Remington, rather then the 270 Winchester, the two are ballistic twins. As for the 270, 3000-3100 fps with 130 gr bullets, 2800-2900 fps with 150's, 2800 with 160's. That's in a 22" barreled Winchester model 70. The 280 will match all of those speeds (and a little bit more, usually), you get a bullet with a slightly larger cross section (.284 vs. .277) and you have the option of slightly heavier bullets. On the other hand, I've never walked into a gun shop anywhere in the world that didn't have 270 ammo, and that's definately not the case with the 280. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil Sebastien.
I use the RWS TIG 177gr in my old Mannlicher Sch�nauer.It makes a good job on Roedeer(Rehwild) and wildboar.Most game was banned(?) on the place!
Meatlost is not high.
Hauke

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sebastien,

Get rid of the 7x64!

Buy a 270: -LESS RECOIL & CHEAPER AMMO!
(american brands)
-THE 130 GRAINS SIERRA (handload)
OR 140 gr. WIN FAILSAFE will do
for 99% of all your shooting

If you persist buy RWS KS bullets, not cheap, but very good.

TRADUCTION:

Vendez votre 7 x 64

Achetez un 270 Winchester:
- Il y' a moins de recul.

-Les munitions sont pas si ch�res.

Avec mes rechargements avec sierra balles 130 grains gameking et avec les munitions d'usine 140 grs. Failsafe , je sais faire 99% de mes chasses.

Greetings from the monkey Country Belgium

Good news : a jewels shop owner was robbed this week but the owner managed to shoot one of the armed Russian Criminals in the stomach after they shot at him. Prevent Crime.... shoot a criminal!

Posts: 149 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by King Baboon:
Le 7X64 est le calibre universel pour le grand gibier en Europe (et pas le 30-06 contrairement � ce que beaucoup pr�tendent, tu sais qu'on n'a pas le droit de l'utiliser en France, ni en Belgique).

En Allemagne, la 7 x 64 a perdu beaucoup de sa ancienne popularit� en faveur de la .30-06, depuis les ann�es 70... Quand m�me, c'est une cartouche tr�s versatile et universelle pour presque tput le gibier Europ�en. Moi, je ne l'aime pas, mais c'est seulement mon style personel, et aucune raison pour la d�conseiller.

Meilleures salutations.
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TO KING BABOON [Big Grin]

You can use 30 06 in France and BELGIUM but you need a special license.(caliber used by the military) IN DEUTSCH: KRIEGSWAFFENGESETZ!
Most people don't want to do the F.. [Mad] .. procedure.
[Mad] (In Belgium 3 months waiting period including exams). One of my friend owns a 30 06 FN BAR. [Big Grin]
I have a 308 but most people buy a 7 x 64 or 270 or 7 mag or 300 win mag because you go to the shop, show your id card, got everything registered,pay and walk out with your gun

DIRKIE SCOUT from the monkey b-Country [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirk_scout:
You can use 30 06 in France and BELGIUM but you need a special license.(caliber used by the military) IN DEUTSCH: KRIEGSWAFFENGESETZ!

Of course correctly translated, but only in German (third official language in Belgium, by the way, courtesy of 1919 annexations; and I was amazed to hear the - interesting - evening broadcast of Vlaamse Radio in German language yesterday on AM), but not true in GermanY. [Smile]

Also, please distinguish for the benefit of foreign readers: getting a prefectural firearms permit "de 1�re classe" in France is not difficult as such. The problem is using the gun for other purposes than sportive shooting.

May I add a question of my own curiosity: how much or how little used is the 8x60 S in Belgium nowadays ?

Beste Gr��e an die Nachbarn,
Carcano

[ 05-30-2003, 21:47: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lieber herr Nussbaum, Dear sir nutwood, [Cool]

8 x 60 is still used by people in the Ardennes poaching game... [Mad] and some.... of the few, that have stayed alive, old hunters. [Wink]

But most of them just shoot ordinary 8 x 57 hardball in it! [Razz]

Ah, ah, ah......staying alive....ah, ah, ah ....staying alive??? [Big Grin]

Do you understand flemish? [Big Grin]

dirk scout from Flanders , the place with the best beer in the world: trie DUVEL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one that came my way a couple of years ago. I have not shot a whole lot of game with it, but It sure worked fine on the last Carabou I shot. A 160 gr Nosler Partition Federal loading. Federal for some reason discontinued it. You should be able to make quick work out of any of the game you hunt, with good bullets in the 150 to 175 gr range. Then again, the same could be said of the .270, 280 .30-06 or any number of cartridges that are comprable. A friend of mine hunts with a 7mm-08 and 140 gr Noslers, thats all he has, or wants and he gets his moose and what have you every year, year in and year out. Never shoots more that once either.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirk_scout:
8 x 60 is still used by people in the Ardennes poaching game... [Mad] and some.... of the few, that have stayed alive, old hunters. [Wink]
But most of them just shoot ordinary 8 x 57 hardball in it! [Razz]

*Grin* If they like so...
Well, a .308 Win *can* be shot in a .30-06 too, can't it ? Sometimes the cartridge looks a bit strange afterwards, but then... as long as the extractor claw clutches the rim tight, and the shooters manages to stay alive.

Regards,
Carcano

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Salut S�bastien,
la majorit� des chasseurs fran�ais utilisent du 7x64 et du 9.3x 62.
tout d�pend du type de chasse que tu veux pratiquer, c'est la question de d�part.
la 270 est une tr�s bonne munition.

il y a un forum en fran�ais tr�s actif o� cette question a �t� trait�e :
http://www.webmaestru.net/forum/index.php?site=webmaestrunet

Hi Sebastien,
most of the french hunters use 7x64 and 9.3x62. it depends on the type of game you want to hunt, that's the starting point.
270 Win is a very good ammo.
there is a very active forum in french language where this question has been answered.

about the 30/06 , one can get a permit but for shooting purpose only , not for hunting .
a good technical solution is to short chamber and use shortened cases, the ammo and the rifle won't need all the paperwork.
a wiser solution is to use a rifle in 270 Win

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano you can't fire a .308 in a 30'06 , shorter case but different tapper prevent it , you can do it in a machine gun because the bolt closes hard and "fit" the 308 case to the sloopy chamber of the machine gun , ( and headspace on the body not at the shoulder of the case ) , but not on a bolt action 8 X 57 in a 8 X 60 ? as you said only if the extractor fit tight on the rim , I saw a 30'06 bolt action fired 20 rounds of 7.65 x 53 Argentinean , the cases look strange as they don't have any neck [Confused] , the owner ask me why happen [Frown]
Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote