New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotland?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My daughter married a scot and is re-locating to Glasgow. My hunting partner and I are thinking of going there for some walk-up bird shooting.

I'd like to take my Atkin game gun with me.

Any recommendations for an outfitter (preferably one who has decent pointing dogs)?

Any trouble to take a gun there?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alec,
the game season usually runs from mid October - 31st January.
Pointers are not used a lot it is mainly driven game..
If you want to shoot Pheasant/Partridge/Duck then send me a message..

regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Griff.

We don't have much interest in driven shooting. We'd like to explore shooting 'walk-up' and if we could hunt with setters or pointers, that would be icing on the cake.

I will talk with my partner, then PM to you.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As said shooting over pointers is not common here - but from memory Atholl Estates used to offer it for grouse in August.

Could well be too late for the current year though but see here - https://atholl-estates.co.uk/e...field-sports/grouse/

As with most estates this will be let on a party basis - can't think I've ever heard of individual guns being let.

Posts: 198 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Russell Hird at RJH sports on the Isle of Lewis - he has wonderful vizlas and shoots walked up grouse, snipe, woodcock etc. with them in the most wonderful surroundings. The Isle of Lewis is fantastically wild and remote but easily accessible from Glasgow.

https://www.rjhsports.co.uk/

I have no connection with Russell other than I would sometimes book stalking with him and occasionally when I'm fishing I might bump into him on the river or moor with his guests.

Lewis is a fantastic sporting destination so if you are coming then stay at least a week, two if you can, and fit in some fishing or stalking as well. There are hundreds of wild brown trout lochs and maybe 30 - 40 salmon or sea trout systems. If you look back I've filed a few reports over the last year or so of fishing and stalking in the area just to give some idea of the ground etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Alec,

I can do walked up shooting for you

Drop me an email at Kiri@athinasporting.com with your contact number and I'll give you a call to discuss.

Best regards,Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote