THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Favourite Wild Boar Cartridge and Scope
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Wild Boar Cartridge and Scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is your favourite cartridge and scope for this strong animals???

Posts: 25 | Location: Turkey | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Our Pigs arn't the european pigs, but I use a 6.5x55 sweede and a 8x57. The scope on the 6.5 is a bushnell 3-9x. The 8mm is open sighted.

Bakes

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to use a 243 but now use a 7mm-08 & find that works well on even the biggest of our boars.

Calibers between 243 & 30-06 are recomended over here.

Generally the hot 22's are to light.

Tumbo

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my 8X68S, on wildboar a good medicin.
This Mauser66 has a Zeiss Diasta 8X52,good for hunting at night,bullet is the havy KS from RWS ,around 224 grain.
Also I use my Mannlicher in 7X64 ,this rifle has a 6X42 Habicht and is not so good for dark light.But the 7X64 is good too,but if you hunt here at the border to the next hunting area you have to ban the game in your area,that why I hunt mostly with my Mauser66.
I also hunt the wildboar with my Drilling in 7X65R but some of the bandits go up to 200meters [Frown]
This never happen with my 8X68S Bearkiller(B�rent�ter)
Hauke

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumbo and Bakes,

Yes our pigs are bigger than australian pigs(like below)and .243 or 6.5 is too light.Bakes open sights are interesting point for me.What was your longest shot with them?
Regards... [Smile]

[ 01-16-2003, 17:37: Message edited by: MadWolf ]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Madwolf
I hunt swamps and creeks here in the Northern Territory, and the shooting can be fast in the tall spear grass (hey that rymes [Big Grin] ). The longest shot with open sights has been about 20 meters (3 meters is the shortest), the longest with a scope has been about 120 meters.
Below is the 3 meter pig.

-

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Except when I have some rifles/calibers to field test (which happens with regularity), I normally favour these when after Wild Boar :
Drive hunting with hounds : FN-Browning o/u in 9,3x74R + Swarovski 1,25-4x24
 -
Stalking or highseat : Blaser R93 in .300 Win Mag + Swarovski 1,5-6x42
 -

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use my .358 Norma Magnum (Schultz & Larsen) with
a SAKO peep sight for driven hunt.

Posts: 20 | Location: Zealand, Denmark | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] still wildboar in Danmark [Eek!]
Gr��e Hauke

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Salam Mad wolf@ is it allowed to hunt and own rifle?I thought just shootguns are legal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For lignum pig hunting I like my Marlin 45/70 with leupold 2.5x compact. I load the 300 gr sierra pro hunters which when hit pigs in the chest cavity behave like ballistic tips and kill like chain lightening. I will change to 400 gr bullet for better penetration when my supply runs out. This next coming year I am keen to try out my .375 H&H with speer 235 gr bullets. I have ordered a 9.3x62 CZ 550 as well for pigs but it will be 6 months arriving.

I like heavy calibers for pigs.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Selam Hauke [Smile]

Your thoughts are wrong.We may buy rifles and hunt with rifles in Turkey.But it is very expensive.Becouse our goverment take very high import taxes on rifles.

Andre what is your thoughts about your Blaser and aluminium anodized metal parts.I hear it's too soft.What is your favourite:Steel vs. Aluminium...?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the 444Marlin loaded with 290LFNGC at 2225'/sec. will go end to end and puts them down.
wort

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauke Karl W.:
[Eek!] still wildboar in Danmark [Eek!]
Gr��e Hauke

No there are any left. I hunt them in Poland or Sweden.

Posts: 20 | Location: Zealand, Denmark | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
358 winchester, low power scope.. best of the best.. 225 gr at 2500 fps...

I have used from 22lr to 416 rem, my friends have used 416 taylor, rigby, 450marlin, 45/70, 450 alaskan, and 577 nitro.. and none kill these thin skinned beauties any better..
jeffe

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I like the 9,3X62 for driven hunts or close range shooting on boars, I prefer 285 grain bullets like nosler partition or oryx.

300 wby with 180 or 200 grain for elevated stand or longer shoot over bait.

I have also used 338 win and it works very well [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 01-16-2003, 17:39: Message edited by: MadWolf ]

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
MadWolf, while I (traditionally) prefer steel in a gun, I've never had any trouble with the Blaser R93's alu receiver during the 2200 rounds I fired between my 2 R93's. But then, one should remember that the bolt locks directly in the barrel and that the receiver's sole purpose is the house the other parts, with no stress involved.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
My Blaser R 93 in 9,3 x 62mm and the .300 win mag Barrel have accounted for boar and warthog. Any more I use my Blaser on everything. With 286 grs Sp's in the 9,3 meat damage is minimal and they die on the spot. For the .300 I like the 180 grs Stewart soft point at a moderate velocity (2650 fps). For open areas loaded to 3100 fps gives a good trajectory out to 250m, of course re sightinging is necessary. I have shot my share with 7x57mm, .30 06, .222 rem, .375 H&H, .458 win mag and .470 NE they all seem to work just the Blaser is convienent and very, very accurate.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favourite cartridge is 300 Win. Mag. Here, we hunt boars and roe deers with dogs (battue). My rifle is a BAR, and I reaload with Sierra 220 rn bullets, V/0 of 760 m/s (2495 fps). I believe that 220 rn bullet is a better and faster killer than 180 spitzer and meat damage is lesser. I have no need of a very flat trajectory load, since shots are close (30-80 m) and seldom over 100 m. So my scope is a 1.5x5 Leupold Vari X-III but I prefer to use an Aimpoint 5000XD, because it's faster to aim. - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 in Mauser 98, Zeiss 2,5-10x48. Never had any problem.

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
A question for the experienced. I've not shot a wild boar with anything but plan to take on some of our East Coast/ South Carolina pigs.
My intent is to use one of two 45 Colt firearms, a Colt Anaconda with a 6 inch barrel or a Rossi Mod 92. Both do well with a 300 grain cast lead bullet with 20 grains of H110. I'm guessing that the Mod 92 will throw the 300 grain slug around 1400 fps out of it's 20 inch barrel.
Considering the size of the boars in Europe do you think this would be adaquate for the job?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, 45 colt cartridge could be adequate for close and accurate shots on small/medium pigs (80-100 lbs. max). Here, VERY few hunters use 44 mag. rifles for boars,(nobody the 45 colt) mainly old guys that can't carry heavier guns. I don't know the weight of Carolina pigs, but you should consider to use a more powerful rifle, that will forgive you some small errors in bullet placement...280 Rem. 308 W. 30-06, or if you prefer lever action 444 M or 45-70. Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
wildboar
Thank you for your response.
I'd considered using the revolver since it's light weight and easy to maneuver in the brush.
I could use my 45-70 but I dread carrying that beast through a brushy swampy area, it's 1886 Winchester and it's rather weighty with a full magazine, eight shots.
How much of a part does bullet construction play in downing the boar? I've read that wild boars, other then those in our Congress, have a gristle plate along their shoulders. {The wild boars in our Congress have the gristle plate in their skulls, they think it's a brain!}
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I try always to use my short barrelled 9.3x62 4x Schmidt&Bender scoped.
But some time I have to use my 20gauge, sadly.
best wishes for a happy new year
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's correct. Old boars have a sort of "armour" behind the shoulder, that can cause some problems to weak bullets. I have heard about buckshots and 12 ga. slugs found just under the skin of very big boars, so I take no risks; "melium abundare quam deficere" = better something more than something less. So, my choice is 300 Win. Mag. and 220 rn bullets, but it's only my opinion.... Lorenzo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas I shoot [and eat [Big Grin] ] Wild Pigs with my 450 No2 and my 450/400 3 1/4" Nitro Double rifles,iron sights only, but I like to use my 9,3X74R double rifle. I use it with iron sights and with a 2.5x8 Leupold with the heavy duplex.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice is an 8mm 198grain TIG bullet at 890 m/s.
Cartridge is a wildcat based on the 9,3x64 Brenneke case.
Rifle is a custom work on an Argentinian Mauser.
Socpe is 2,5-10x50 Zeiss VM.
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted Wild boar but I think my 9.3x62 with leupold scope will do it for me.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
 -
This is the kind of shot we're offered during drive hunting. A double rifle in 9,3x74R is king at this game.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a european wild boar but I have shot driven red deer in Austria, and a large(ish) number of warthogs with my 8x57 Heym SR20 (200 grain Barnes x or 196 grain Norma Oryx @ circa 2450 fps). The scope is a Swarovski 1.25-4 x 24 with the Battue reticle.

I have found this to be a very effective combination.

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey folks,
although i�ve get good results with my 6,5*57R and the 8,2RWS KS bullet (what should i do when sitting in th esummer time on roes and there is a boar crossing the field [Big Grin] ..take the 6,5mm [Big Grin] )i harvested the most boars withj my M66S in .30-06.
My new medicine is the .375H&H with 260gr. Nosler Partition [Smile] magnificant... [Big Grin]

Up to now, not even one pig sued my a** for to less gun since i take the .H&H ...ha ha ha..

If u interested in some pics: here we go:
http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003097

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a the question with the scope i�ve forgotten to answer:
absolut minimum a 6*42 Zeiss T*, on my M66S i do have a 2,5-10*52 T* recticle German nr.1, and on my .H&H a 3-12*56T*VM/V with Recticle 44

cheers
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Asalam Alaikum Mad Wolf,

my favorite boar rifle is a custum build Mauser 98 in 8x57IS. The scope is a 6x42 Zeiss with German recticle No. 4. The load I am shooting consists of either the 200grs Swift A-Frame or the 180 Barnes X, driven at about 770M/s muzzle velocity.

When the loads for my .375 Weatherby are developed, I will definitely use it. Loaded with 300 or 350grs Woodleigh RN, driven at 800m/s. The scope on the Weatherby is a Schmidt&Bender 1,5-6x42, German recticle No. 4.

Ma' asalam

<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by konst#1:
My new medicine is the .375H&H with 260gr. Nosler Partition [Smile] magnificant... [Big Grin]

Up to now, not even one pig sued my a** for to less gun since i take the .H&H ...ha ha ha..

Konstantin,

is it possible, that you share the recipe for your above mentioned medicine with us? Is it a max load or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks and Waidmannsheil!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot understand why you people use such heavy calibers on your boars,I dont believe that they could be that much tougher than pigs over here & Sauenjager1 uses a 308 with no problems & I consider the 308 an excellent choice.

I,ve shot well over 400 pigs with a 243, out to about 300 meters,the biggest around 175 kilograms & most were one shot kills,I will admit though that the average pig over here would be less than 50 kilograms.

I think the 7mm-08 is just about perfect for them & was wondering why you people use such heavy calibers on them?,some of the boars i've shot here have had 20mm of mud on there sides followed by thick hard skin then a layer of gristle about 15mm thick then the heavy bones.

I'm just interested to know why you use these calibers,thats all.

Tumbo

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
@Hunting Max:
I�m not at home...so i can�t give u -now- the exact loading data, but i think max loading is arround 72grains and i�ve taken 70,5 or 71 grains.
I think it�s about 92-95% from max.loading

@Tumbo:
I bought me the .375 for Africa, but found the cartridge very good on our european game, especially boars and red�s.
Another thing that u may not know, is that we do have another system of hunting .
The most hunting areas aren�t that big, so u have to use a caliber that will drop the game in the tracks. Otherwise the game will disapear, and when it�s found dead in the next hunting area, the owner of this particualer area get�s the meat [Wink] ......
I don�t have the problem that my hunting area is to small, for germany it�s really big wih arround 1200ha.
But especially when u hunt on boars it�s allways better to have enough gun, because for one reason i don�t like to go in the darkness into the thicket...to look where the boar is [Wink] , and i like to have one shot kills. Not that some boars will not walk a distance of 50 or 80 meters, but the bllodtrail is magnificant-although i have a blood hound- you can do it by your own.
And if u hunt hem in the summer time -neraly in darknes in the evening- you have to find the boar quickly to be sure that the meat is still good.If u wait to long (because u have to follow it up , because it went into the thicket after it got the shot..and maybe some extra time for getting a dog that will work out the blood trail)you can throw the meat away.
For my opinion the .30-06 is the minimum caliber when hunting at night on boars.(and for me it worked everytime fine,most of them where 1 shot kills, 5 percent walked an average of 30m)
I m not a fan of the .308Win at all.
Not enough potential for night hunting, where you have to have a caliber with enough potential.Because it easily can hapen that u do have "sub optimal conditions".
Anyhow....good to hear that you are glad with your .308WIN [Big Grin]

cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumbo,

Your pigs and ours, even though they belong to the same species Sus scrofa , show a major difference : ours are wild from the beginning, and yours have been domesticated for generations before turning wild again. And yes, at same weight a wild boar is definitely much tougher than a domestic pig.
That said, of course you can kill a big tough wild boar with a well-placed .243, but using a 9.3 or a hot .300 will give you a bigger error margin (always the same debate eh?).
Here we often hunt pigs on drives, pigs run very fast, are very tough (did I ever mention that?), and cover is often very thick, have a look at the picture posted by Andr�. In that situation a light caliber is totally inadequate. To show you an example, my last two pigs were shot at full speed and I only scratched the top of their backs (I know, lousy shot). If I had been shooting a .243 those pigs would have run away. But I was shooting a .300 wby and the shock dropped them on the spot, and I had plenty of time to reach them and finish them off by blade before they could stand up again. On my last drive I witnessed my brother taking a similar shot at a nice 80 kg boar at less than 15 m with his 7X64, the pig was stopped by the guy between my brother and I, with a 9.3X74R head shot at 5 m. My brother actually wounded that pig but I would have sworn he had missed : absolutely no reaction to the shot!
I wouldn't consider any caliber under say 7X64 for driven pigs, and bigger is definitely better.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by konst#1:
@Hunting Max:
I�m not at home...so i can�t give u -now- the exact loading data, but i think max loading is arround 72grains and i�ve taken 70,5 or 71 grains.
I think it�s about 92-95% from max.loading

Konstantin,

thanks in advance. Would be fine, if you give me the correct data and also the type of powder you used.

<Hunting Max>
posted
Tumbo,

what do you mean with "that big calibers"? I think you talking about Konst's and my .375, but hopefully not about the 8x57IS!

First of all:
Yes, a .375 is not necessary for a boar, but a .243, especially for a boar in the plus 100kg class, is defenitely the wrong one. Be honest, how many boars have you lost due to the small caliber or bad shot placement, wich will sometimes happen on the range of 300m?
Second:
My .375 was bought for Africa and for practising I use it in Europe for Stag and Boar. We are not talking about shooting rabbits with it.
Last one:
In Germany it is not legal for some good reasons to use a .243 on boars.

[ 01-30-2003, 17:41: Message edited by: Hunting Max ]