New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to fly with a trophy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, during late september I will be in north-east Poland for a red stag stalk. I'm interested in travelling by plane and I have already read some past posts here, to learn the regulations; if I can shoot a stag, my guide will dress/wash the trophy an give it to me; you certainly know it is quite cumbersome and must be hadled with great care. Do airlines accept such a "bizarre" baggage, of course, carefully packed, or is it possible to send it home by postal service or DHL/Fedex? Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After a stag hunt in the Czech republic, we put the boiled/dry skull (carefully wrapped/protected) in the baggage hold as oversize baggage and it was hand delivered in Brussels.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have flown with stag trophies on multiple occasions.

I have had the skull boiled, cleaned and (minimally) bleached. It is a good idea to bring along a 10% solution of peroxide for the bleaching.

I have then taped a board under the upper jaw (I left the lower jaw, and did not cut the upper jaw). The board protects the skull (in particular the front part) from the luggage manglers. I normally tape a plastic bag over the skull to protect it further.

I have brought along a whole bunch of paper tissues and masking tape. When preparing the antlers for travel, I put a bunch of tissues/tape on each end of the antlers - protects other luggage the antlers may be put next to.

Thus prepared, I have checked antlers for air travel on multiple occasions.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your exhaustive replies; in 2006 and 2007 I went over there with the car, but due to increasing fuel price, the plane becomes more and more attractive; not to mention the 2000 + 2000 kms of driving! Unfortunately, the Nice (France) LOT polish airline desk, bewared me of not carry the riflescope in my hand baggage, as I will not go through the security check Roll Eyes . Since I'm an EAW scope mounts fan, I'm considering to take it down and put it into a small piece of plastic pipe, inside the hard plastic rifle case, since I'm really concerned about rough baggage handling.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Unfortunately, the Nice (France) LOT polish airline desk, bewared me of not carry the riflescope in my hand baggage, as I will not go through the security check Roll Eyes . Since I'm an EAW scope mounts fan, I'm considering to take it down and put it into a small piece of plastic pipe, inside the hard plastic rifle case, since I'm really concerned about rough baggage handling.

That is a pain in the posterior. I'm also an ardent fan of travelling with all optics in my hand luggage - scopes, binocs, rangefinders, cameras etc.

Your idea of travelling with the scope inside a (padded) hard tube is probably not a bad one. Apart from the danger of loosing your luggage, you'll probably have to check your sights when you arrive in camp. Assuming your scope (and luggage)made it, it should be no problem even if you had to adjust the scope a bit to be on again. So a pain in the posterior it is, but probably no disaster.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
...you'll probably have to check your sights when you arrive in camp...

That is great idea, but I certainly will not be able to carefully check zero as I do at my favourite range, or will I possibly not be allowed at all; I'm puzzled since it will be my first flight with a rifle.

A good warning:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...?r=27910479#27910479

one of us
posted Hide Post
After all, travelling by plane means too many constraints to me. What could happen if I put the rangefinder and binoculars in my hand baggage, if a riflescope isn't allowed? I will NEVER put any valuable item in a suitcase. I'm more and more convinced to go there by car.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the problem whit riflescope is that someone consider "parts of firearms" binoculars, rangefinders i think is impossible call "parts of firearms".

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter anymore, I will go there by car since the overall cost is roughly the same. I don't feel confortable travelling by plane with a gun, too many regulations and hassles. Furthermore I will travel with my (polish) wife and daughter and we will pay my parents-in-law a visit.