Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Eyed Optics
 Login/Join

posted
Guys, I hope this one is not too far off the wall.

I mentioned in a post some time back that I lost the sight of my left eye in a car accident last year. I am now in "need" of some new glass for general spotting work. I would like to splash out on something top class, Swarovski or Zeiss, however, it seems pointless to spend �600 - �800 and only be able to use half of what I bought. I then obviously thought of a spotting scope, however, these tend to come only in very high magnification.

Can anyone suggest a top quality telescope in 8 - 12 power suitable for carrying around, mainly woodland work?

PS, I have actually considered buying a normal telescopic sight and carrying it on a strap around my neck. However, with eye relief issues, this does not really work.

Thanks, Brian.

Posts: 15 | Location: Co. Down N.Ireland | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think such a thing exists. Generaly they are far too long and bulky anyhow.

I know Zeiss and Swarovski make monoculars but these are only a max of 2-3x

I would contact the Zeiss and Swarovski factories direct (factory NOT UK agents who are conditioned to say no as a matter of course) and explain your special circumstances to see if they would halve a pair at birth so to speak!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
1894 is almost correct, but there are a *few* monoculars by good optics manufacturers that are of higher magnification.

Leica makes and 8x16 that is OK, but really does not have a big enough objective to work well at dusk and dawn. This is sold as a Leica/Minox monocular, by the way. I'd go for one of the following...

Zeiss makes a 10x25 monocular that costs about $USD 200 and I was quite impressed with the image quality. It is short but just larger than pocket sized. Don't over look this one!

Zeiss makes a dandy image stabilized 20x60 monocular (ca $USD 2500). It is fantastic! You can hand hold it, and resolve more detail than you could imagine! Only thing wrong with it is the price! [Frown]

jpb

[ 06-02-2003, 18:59: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Claret Dabbler
Many years ago I saw several "one-half of a binocular" made by Swarovski. They were exactly one half of a regular porro prism binocular. They were available in many power/objective lens sizes.
Check with them. They would be perfect for your use.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NE 450, this is exactly what I had in mind, sort of the right hand half of a 10x EL Swarovski.

Anybody out there blind in one eye? We'll go halfers on a pair of Swarovski's and a hack saw.

Cheers
Brian.

Posts: 15 | Location: Co. Down N.Ireland | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret Dabbler:
NE 450, this is exactly what I had in mind, sort of the right hand half of a 10x EL Swarovski.

Anybody out there blind in one eye? We'll go halfers on a pair of Swarovski's and a hack saw.

Cheers
Brian.

Hi Brian

I know you were not serious, but a binocular will be much more expensive than 2 monoculars of the same quality (alignment is critical and expensive). I only mention this so you won't discount the monoculars of Zeiss or Swarovski based on price -- they are better than the price would lead you to expect!

The Zeiss monocular is excellent overall. You can compare online prices of it at the following URL (you can also use this site to compare online prices of a million other things!).

Nextag

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JPB, thanks, I found the Zeiss 10x25 monocular on line in England for �169 which seems a pretty decent price (about Euro235 or U$D270).

I have not been able to spot the Swarovski versions yet, certainly not on their website. There are a few game fairs / shows on here over the next month, I'll hang on until I can try a few out.

How would the twilight performance of the Zeiss stand up? In theory, a 10x25 has a pretty small exit pupil, anyone got any practical experience of this?

Thank you.
Brian.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
JPB, thanks, I found the Zeiss 10x25 monocular on line in England for �169 which seems a pretty decent price (about Euro235 or U$D270).
How would the twilight performance of the Zeiss stand up? In theory, a 10x25 has a pretty small exit pupil, anyone got any practical experience of this?

Thank you.
Brian.

Hi Brian

I have a pair of 10x25 (I think they are 25's) Zeiss pocket binoculars. They are tiny, but I have compared them to a friend's Leica 7x42 at dusk. (I was planning on buying a pair of full size binoculars to complement my pocket binoculars).

The Leica's were indeed better, but the difference was *so* small that I didn't buy them. Be aware that these full size Leica's are generally regarded as the one of the best 1 or 2 binoculars in the world!

I'm a biologist and use binoculars in my work a lot. I probably use them more in a year than a normal user would in a lifetime. I like the 10x25's! (waterproof too).

I don't suggest that the 10x25's are as bright as a full size model, but I must say the difference was less than I expected. My friend with the Leicas I borrowed (whose father worked for Leica and who was going to get me a discount on the Leica binoculars) helped me test them and he agreed too!

Regarding the exit pupil, how old are you? As humans age their pupils are not able to dilate as widely. A youngster may notice that full sized binoculars were brighter, but middle aged eyes might not...

Best of luck,

jpb

[ 06-03-2003, 15:15: Message edited by: jpb ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Claret Dabbler
Something else you might think about. You could get those 10x Swarovski binos, and attach one of their doublers to one side. That way you have your bino,s and a light weight spotting scope in one package.
I prefer 8x bino,s my self, 8x to 16x sounds like a good idea to me.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you.
Brian.

Brian,

I can't comment on the twilight performance but I did try a pair of Zeiss 10x25s as a means of identifying prickets outside of doe season etc. I found the image clarity not as good as my 7x42s either because the optics are not so good or because the higher power and reduced field of view accentuated shake. I didn't buy them.

I would prefer the Swarovski equivalent which seem slightly less 'opera glass' in design. I might also prefer their 8x20 allthough their 8x30s are really excellent indeed!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
1894's post made me recall something...

I did compare my Zeiss 8x20's to their 10x25 binoculars before buying.

I could resolve better detail with the 8x20's than the 10x25 -- perhaps because of shake, perhaps because the 8x20's had better eye relief for my glasses?

I am quite happy with my Zeiss 8x20 binoculars, and I have seen their monocular which really seems to be just one half. Might be worth a look -- my binoculars have held up perfectly with about 17 years of heavy use (I'm a biologist and I use them a LOT!).

The monocular is about the size of a roll of US quarters -- they don't get much smaller!

jpb

[ 06-06-2003, 20:42: Message edited by: jpb ]