New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74 and 9.3x62 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friend manages several coffee farms that are being damaged by feral hogs, and he has to snare and shoot them. He accepted my offer of help, so I bought a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 for the task.

Several sources say the Speer 270 grain semi-spitzer is too soft for large game. They give no velocities, but I assume they mean the roughly 2,500 fps that handloaders can reach with this bullet. This is the most common 9.3mm bullet in the US, so it seems that I should have at least one good big-game load that uses it.

What results could I expect on a 100 kilo hog with this bullet at 9.3x74 velocities of around 2,200-2,300 fps? Should I give up on the Speer except for practice?

Thanks in advance,

Okie John

<JOHAN>
posted
Hi

Why not try a partition in 9,3? Would work just fine on most game.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
9,3mm Partitions can be hard to find where I live, but many shops have the Speer 270.

Okie John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't you get the RWS brenneke-TUG in the US? Maybe the best bullet for the 9.3...

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
No doubt that the bullets mentioned by Johan and King Baboon is good.

I do not think tho that you will have any problems using the 270 speer for feral hogs.

I must say I haven't tried them. But hell a 270 grains slug from a 9,3mm must be able to kill those hogs very dead indead.

Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mads: any SP 270 gr bullet from 9,3x62 will do the trick for hogs.

The best bullet for soft-skinned game in 9,3x62? I would go for the new 18,5g Norma Oryx. It performs extremely well, has great weight retention (often 90%+) and has a reasonable price(at least here in Finland).

Posts: 89 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Lapua mega 285gr. and Norma Alaska 285gr. in 9.3*62 and are going to trye Barnes X 250gr. if you can`t gett eny of the Mega send me a mail and I can trye to send you som to tray.

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never managed to shoot anything larger than a fallow pricket (ie 175lbs live weight or so) but boy that bullet was awesome.

He wasn't at a perfect angle and my shot clipped the liver and rear part of the lung.

Generaly I would expect such a shot on an aware fallow (due to the whistle) to result in a good 100yd+ run. He fell on the spot and started thrashing. Thrashing deer = spine crease to me unless proved otherwise so I shot him again but in reality he was going absolutely nowhere.

The bullet had exited, gone through a 6" semi rotten log and felled a 3" sapling. There was very little meat damage.

At the time I was using start loads of around 2,250fps and this was at about 20yards so this about equates to 150yd performance from a 2,400/2,500fps MV load.

My own loads top out at 2,400fps or so. I happen to think the speer book loads hot and that over 2,400fps is unecessary. Keep it at that and any problems will be operator induced!

NB In an article a while ago Finn Aargard did some testing and the 270gr speer penetrated better than a 180gr partition from a 30-06 and was only 13% behind a 300gr Partition from a 375H&H. The expanded diameter was smaller than other 9.3 bullets but as he said this does not necessarily mean the wound channel is correspondingly smaller.

[ 09-18-2002, 18:49: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The question being : boar + 9,3 + 270 Speer ?
Then the answer is = pork in the larder [Razz]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I think that the problem is related to the availabilty of, for us European easy to find, particulars bullett brands.
In my cartridge box there are normally some cartidge loaded with RWSbullets, tug and h-mantel, some with nosler partition, some with Norma Vulkan. I tested also Woodleigh, Nosler BT, RWS DK and LAPUA Mega....... I should hunt with.....anyone of them. [Big Grin] more important the caliber, our beloved 9.3x62.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TUG without any hesitation...

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear friends--

Thank you for your replies. If anyone hears of problems with a 270 Speer bullet, please let me know. Unless I hear otherwise, I shall hunt feral hogs with it, and will report my results here.

Waidmann's heil,

Okie John

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Okie they can't be any tougher than Razorbacks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Okie,

I have been using a 9,3x62 rifle for some year and a 9,3x74R since last season, for wild boar hunting.

With the 9,3x62 I started by using a Sako cartridge (the bullet I believe was a Barnes X) but I achieved best results with my own loads with the french GPA bullet, 238 grains. Fantastic bullet for wild boar.
I also used it, last June in Namibia, on plains game up to black wildebeest and it proved very well.
I am now developing loads with a Speer 270 Grains and with the Sellier & Bellot SP 285 Grains (very good price) for the hunting season that will start next month.
With some luck I will be in a position to give you a full report on Speer's performance on wild boar, by October's end.

With the 9,3x74 so far I have only used the RWS bullets (from 24? To 293 grains), TUG, Mantel, and they all proved well on wild boar.

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Good Hunting,

Okie John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me suggest contacting the Nosler Shooter Store. They frequently have "blem" 9.3 bullets, both the 250gr BT and the 286gr Partition. Their number is 541 382 3921.

I used the 250BT in Africa this past May and it worked fine on Bush Pig and Bush Buck. I have not had the opportunity to use the 270gr Speer which I have shot. I get about 2600fps with the 250 and 2500fps with the 270 from my 23" barrel. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
okie john, I shot a 300 to 320 lb boar hog with a 270 Speer at 2390fps from my 9.3x74R. The range was about 19 yards, the hog was running away at a quarting angle. The shot struck the gristle plate, because of the angle the bullet went through about 3 inches of the gristle plate,through the shoulder, not the heavy bones, broke the neck and was recovered in the rear of the jaw. The hog dropped to the shot. The Speer had a retained weight of 221.4 @ 82%,max expansion was .925, min expansion was .708, length was .655. The bullet looked like an advertisement photo. This is the only Speer bullet I have recovered from a couple of other hogs and a few deer shot with it. I would not hesitate to use this bullet on any game up to Elk or Moose.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. I've been working on loads and hope to deck something with it during deer season. I'm using the Speer bullet until the Nosler Ballistic Tip "blems" arrive. I'll keep the board posted. Thanks again, Okie John.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
As hogs are my favorite game, I have quite a bit of experience with them.
Just about any bullet, with an SD of better than .200 (.250 is best) moving at 2000 fps, and at least 150gr weight, will flat out slay hogs. I have used the 257, 708, 308, 358, 375, 416,and 458 on them... and nothing stops them like a high shoulder hit with a big, .250 sd bullet, at 2500 or so fps.

The 270 is higher than .250 SD, and if it where just lead, at 2200, it would drill holes in them.

Jeffe

Posts: 38516 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some hogs, too. My favourite is one third of the games height up, breaking the games more rearward shoulder ( entering or leaving is not important ). Works. Will believe this until it doesn�t work. Don�t believe in shots in the middle of the hog ( horizontally and vertically! ). Only results in troubles.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
The 270 grain will work fine, I know of a guy who swears by them, They normally work well but tend to shed their wheight when you push them at to high a velocity

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote