New
Find
Notify
Tools

shipping a firearm from the US
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have any of you guys bought a firearm in the US and had it shipped over here?

what are the costs involved and how hard is it?

is it a real headache or pretty simple?

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it"s pretty hard to get the paperwork for importation. I asked an RFD about bringing in a rifle I was offered, and was told that the expence
made it impractical and prohibitive. Maybe someone else will know a little more about it.
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Alex

Hope you are well.

I hope i am not speaking out of turn here but a couple of members on this have imported firearms from the US and it has been relatively straight forward but in one case I know oof it took about 9 onths for the rfile to materisalise but on the other occasion it was alot quicker.

Let me know if you need further input.

Thanks

Jon

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey jon,

im good thanks, hows life in sunny Cheshire?

i will see how things pan out, a mate has seen a rifle he likes the look of, it may not come off though.

thanks for the replies

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Alex,

as I understand the seller in the states needs to have an export licence, which is quite difficult to obtain. However if they have one then the process is quite simple providing the recipient over here has the relevant import licence.

Rick @ gunrunner does this kind of thing all the time and will be able to tell you exactly what is involved and the associated costs, depending if he clears it and delivers etc.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sender just needs an export permit from the BATF (Bureau for Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms), you need to supply the proper paperwork confirming that you are in a position to legally receive the rifle in your home country.

No rocket science, in my experience the people from the BATF are very helpfull.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask our very own 1894, he has had rifles exported from the US -> UK recently.

In general, as stated above, you have to get a US export license. I believe that license is issued by some part of the State Department - it is not BATF. In any event, the only way to obtain such a license is through a licensed exporter. 1894 will have used one of late, so ask him who he used.

In order to obtain the US export license, the exporter will need the following from you: 1) UK import license (if from non-English speaking country, in addition official translation of import permit). 2) a "purchase order" for the firearms in question, 3) the firearms themselves. The exporter will be an FFL holder, so whoever you buy the firearm from in the US can legally arrange the transfer (UPS, FedEx - whatever) to your exporter. The seller will need a copy of the exporter's FFL for this transfer).

I believe the applications for export licences can be filed electronically (by the exporter), and what used to be a rather lengthy process now apparently has been cut down in time.

Papers in hand hand, the firearms can be shipped from the US. I have had rifles shipped with both USPS and FedEx, I can't really say one worked better than the other.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,
try "leroys big valley gun works" they will do all the paperwork for $75 + postage costs.
Contact the DTI in this country for a letter(free) confirming that the weapon you have bought is not prohibited,they will also issue an import license(free), You also need to confirm that the weapon is for sporting purposes only.
Using someone like Fedex or UPS or TNT will speed up the process as they have built in customs..
Once it arrives in this country they will want to see your authority to possess before they release to carrier..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote