Find
Notify
Tools

English Roebuck Hunt report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
I hunted near Oxfordshire England from August 1 through the 4th. The hunt was organized by Mike Taylor Sporting and I was guided by a local fellow Dave Hawley. Mike did a fantastic job on organizing the hunt for me. My girlfriend and I had toured London for 5 days prior to the hunt. Mike organized a car to pick us up at our hotel in London and transfer us to the Inn at Emmington for the hunt portion of my trip and then from the Inn back to Heathrow for our flight out. The car was a luxury Mercedes, and the driver wore a suit and ties. First class transport. Mick also set up our lodging and a loaner rifle.

Dave let me use his personal rifle, A Schultz and Larsen in 6.5x55 loaded with his handloads. The rifle was scoped with a Swarovski fixed 8 power scope. The rifle was beautiful, and I hated to have had to carry for 3 rainy days during our hunt. I took the first cull buck on the first morning. Dave called the buck up to about 80 yards and I center punched the onside should when the buck turned. The second buck was taken that same day in the evening and nearly ran up into our laps. The third buck presented us with a great stalk while he was occupied with a doe. The first shot was about 200 yards. I hit the buck above the spine, and he collapsed, but recovered and required a second finisher which went through his ears as I tried for a head shot. The third shot finished the buck with a proper shoulder shot. I was not proud of my shooting, but happy to have taken a good representative buck.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing and nice to know transport can be arranged out of London.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done! Mike did a great job setting me up on my CWD/muntjac hunt and I definitely will do this roebuck hunt with him in the future. Dave is a nice guy and fine companion on the hunts! Glad to see you had an excellent trip.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Good looking bucks
I also hunted with Dave last year.
Great guy to hunt with

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Thanks for sharing. Always great fun stalking red roebuck! Glad you had a good time and 3 solid bucks.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote