Find
Notify
Tools

Decoying/Odd results
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted
Anybody had unusual results from their decoying activities?, My better half had set out some plastic wood pigeon shells to try & pull some in, before we were fully hidden behind the blind, a pair of buzzards with a youngster in tow arrived & the young fella stooped on a shell!, Don't know who was more surprised , the bird or us!, needless to say my Missus started in on me how she had the edge on me for decoy patterns! rotflmo

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had cock pigeons try and mount my dead bird decoys a couple of times, also had a fox charge out of a ditch and take one of the buggers once.

I just sat there and watched him go, as it had been a slow afternoon and I was feeling generous.

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I was decoyingin Oxfordshire last year and as soon as i started shooting this fox came running towards my pattern. He had obviously worked out thatthe noise meant an easy meal. He was smart enough to circle round the back of me though.

I've had birds of prey look at duck decoys and swoop on a pattern on a number of occasions. I think this was an attempt to get them to move/take flight.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
Anybody had unusual results from their decoying activities?

Yes actually, once some ducks came to the duck decoys. It was probably the most unusual thing I had ever witnessed.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in the USA game wardens use stuffed deer to catch illegal hunters very often !! Big Grin Once I watched a large hawk try to get some real mergansers.Of course being diving ducks they would dive every time the hawk approached .He went away hungry . clap

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
Anybody had unusual results from their decoying activities?

Yes actually, once some ducks came to the duck decoys. It was probably the most unusual thing I had ever witnessed.

Gabe, that is funny, I like! Big Grin

Not actually decoying, but:

I was calling for foxes one night last summer, about 10.00pm as it was getting dark. I was sitting with my back to a hedge about 80yard from a wood were I hoped the red boy might appear. I was making a poor imitation of a wounded rabbit when a bloody great Owl swooped around my head at about 18 inches of range.

I nearly crapped myself. The damn thing was absolutely silent.

Amazing experience, once the adrenalin subsided. He came back for two or three more looks before clearing off.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Have to say the duck quote gave me a real dose of the chuckles!, We have had a few jumpy moments with the Owls too! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the topic - but I have spent a happy evening using a 'Wam' rabbit call to pull a Barn Owl over to me.

He seemed physically unable to resist coming to the squeak - returning some 6-7 times.

If ever I saw hate on an animal's face, it was when I 'reeled him in' for the last time! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
I have spent a happy evening using a 'Wam' rabbit call to pull a Barn Owl over to me.

He seemed physically unable to resist coming to the squeak...
Rgds Ian

I 've had that a couple of times while out foxing and they scared the scrap out of me as I hadn't seen them approaching....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted Hide Post
I have had barn owls fly down the beam of the lamp when out.
This has not been a 'one off' either.Can't understand it, as their eyesight is so good.

+1 for the raptors attacking birds in the pigeon pattern. happened twice , and both times the sparrow-hawk flew off when it realised the bird was already dead.

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote