New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to stay and play in Istanbul?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunting North Macedonia next year but want to do some normal touring on the way. I plan to stay about 5-7 days and nights in Istanbul and would like recommendations on where to stay and what to do?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been in Istanbul since 1977, but made several trips from 1975 to 1977. I was in the Army then so did not always have much time to see the city. I did really enjoy Topkapi. You might try to watch the movie "Topkapi" before you go. The Old Bazar, St. Sophia's cathedral, and the Blue Mosque were also nice. I would suggest getting a good tour book of Istanbul and deciding before you go what you want to see.

What are you hunting in North Macedonia? I did a chamois hunt there in Oct. 2021 that I booked with Caracal here on Accuratereloading. Had a great time. You might also enjoy a day or two in Skopyja before you leave North Macedonia.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
When I am Istanbul on business I always stay at the Crowne Plaza Old City. It is within walking distance of the Grand Bazaar and the Blue Mosque amongst other sites to see..

It sits at the center of the peninsula in the old city and from the rooftop restaurant you have an amazing view of the Bosporus bridge at night.

It is a bit opulent I admit, but when staying in one of the most awesome and oldest cities in the world.... why not :-)

https://www.cpoldcity.com/en

I have stayed in another nice but smaller hotel that Shikar Safaris put me up in for a couple days following my Ibex hunt but I cannot remember the name. It was no where near any of the sites one would want to visit which meant taxis for everything (Kaan was not going to spring for the Plaza! LOL)...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The few times I have been, I stayed in the Fatih area. Walking distance to most of the popular stuff. A few smaller hotels to consider

HaciBayramHotel
World Heritage Center Hotel
Celine Hotel - Ottoman Mansion

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your recommendations and we have booked at the Celine Hotel Ottoman Mansion. Looks like a great place right in the middle of the best area to visit. Price very reasonable and I immediately received a WhatsApp message asking if I needed an airport shuttle.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote