Find
Notify
Tools

Most affordable European hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For a US citizen, what is it and where?

I really like and admire a lot of the European hunting traditions and sometime in my life would like to experience them firsthand.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to Germany: avoid commercial exploits. Get to know the state forestry offices (Forst�mter). Make clear that your intent is to *hunt* (including young and female animals) and to savour the experience of hunting, stalking, dogs, not primarily to collect a guaranteed trophy. They will be astonished, but glad to oblige.

I recommend hunting wild boar. Nimble rifle handling and fast shots on moving game are a must in state forests; you can leave the nightly (!) executions at 30 metres' distance at the feeding place to the majority of German private hunters, who think that this is how pig killing has to be - most foresters thankfully have a slightly different viewpoint, and will be glad to share it with an ethical US hunter.

Weidmannsheil !
Carcano

[ 01-12-2003, 19:20: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, I will do swap hunts on my place in Tuscany in exchange for a similar hunt in return on the "home grounds" of the hunter I host. This can work out between people who have the possibility to offer hunting in return. If you have any hunting to offer and are interested send me an e-mail: ozelapids@hotmail.com

All the best.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Express,
is it possible? I don't remember if we have something that permit to a non Italian hunter to hunt in Italy, bringing his gun&ammo. I have to study the problem.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Frazer,

In Portugal you can hunt from October to end of February.
A wild boar driven hunt ("montaria") (some may include red deer) may cost between $100 and $500.
Traditional breakfast and lunch are always served (sometimes in the field).
Most of these "montarias" take place during weekends but its possible to find some during the week.
Must be booked in advance.
The number of hunters in these events may range from twelve to over one hundred, and between 50 and 500 dogs can be used.

Hunting licence and gun import permit must be arranged in advance.

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have an Azienda AgroTurisca-Venatoria where foreign hunters are allowed to hunt.
we are 1100Hecters where we can hunt pheasant, grouse, quail, ducks and boar, fallow, mouflon, red deer in various manners, while roe deer cannot be hunted on a AgroVenatoria concession so I use an area that is FaunisticoVenatoria. I think this limitation to roe is only applied in my area.
Foreign hunters must simply fill in a form at my admin offices and they are ready to hunt.
We also do "addestrament cane con sparo" Which mean you are training a gundog, but using real live birds and shooting at them in flight.
As for the improtation of arms, I will get together the entire regolament and post it here.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies and invitations!

Unfortunately I am still at the dreaming stage -- and if I offered you a northern Virginia deer hunt you would be rightly unimpressed.

[Wink]

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano,
..are you a forestry?
It seems to me...because of your "good words" about hunting wild boars at "feeding places".
I don�t know how you hunt your boars,...but to say it clear: how many boars just have been wounded on driven hunts,because of the fast and unprecise shooting and that the invited people..., that don�t have a clou of the difference between a sow and a mature male boar!
I prefer a clean shot on still game,...although a driven hunt is not bad at all. When it�s done the right way.
And your explanation .." fast shooting is a must in .." shows me that the driven hunts you have shared are not the way they have to be organized.

cheers
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And by the way,...what�s is wrong about hunting wild boars in the night time???

konstantin

[ 02-08-2003, 03:36: Message edited by: konst#1 ]

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote