New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scottish deer hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone willing to share information on roe deer hunting in Scotland? Good or bad. What to expect etc. hoping to go this June. Thanks

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Robert, I am assuming that the dates are fixed and hence roe not red. Whilst Scotland would not necessarily be my first choice for roe bucks, there is good stalking to be had for roe. Try reaching out to Sporting Lets, they know Scotland well and have been around a while.

enquiries@sportinglets.co.uk

Blair Atholl also offers good roe stalking. Worth looking into as well.

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robert lerner:
Anyone willing to share information on roe deer hunting in Scotland? Good or bad. What to expect etc. hoping to go this June. Thanks

Firstly its not hunting (which is done on a horse....) its stalking.

I'd suggest a slightly earlier time - but I guess you may well be restricted there?

If you are hoping for a medal buck you need to be quite particular about the area - Fife and the Black Isle are known for producing trophy heads, although the Borders and Aberdeenshire also produce. Even within districts finite areas tend to produce large heads - and this does not always correspond to large bodied animals. A representative 6 point head should be possible anywhere. Personally I'd never book any hunt through an agent but I guess that's your prerogative. There are certainly many estates who can arrange both accomodation and stalking - you will likely need to arrange flights and a hire car.

If you wish to take your own rifle (243/6mm optimum) you need to arrange a "Visitors Firearm Permit" in advance with the estate. A borrowed "estate" rifle will nearly always be possible.

Whilst I do stalk a great many roe I might not be the best one to advise on who to book with but I would say that GOOD roe stalking may not be as easy to find as was the case 20 years ago - the price of Scottish grown softwood timber has substantially overtaking the financial worth of stalking and many estates now cull roe heavily - which is where I came in.....

If you want more specific information PM me.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
They have some great roes in Scotland
Like Kuwinda said, trophy depends on how the area is managed
For Americans, roe deer is very underestimated trophy but once they get whiff of it, they get hooked
My favorite time is in the spring when they fight for their territories and constantly barking at each other

Posts: 125 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop me a PM and will put you in touch with appropriate people. I live and stalk in Scotland.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It is an utterly strange experience for an American hunter.

Some like it and some don't.

I did it one time and one time only.

I was not sure if I was being treated as if I were an idiot or royalty.

Of course, I have never been sure that there is any difference between the two.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Means it is not your cup of tea and you have not tried different countries

Posts: 125 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:
quote:

I have hunted England but not Scotland, I enjoyed it very much. Yes, they do things differently than we do, but I went to experience the way it is done there. I would go again for sure.

I have also looked at Romania for Stags and took a lovely free range Red in New Zealand. I loved seeing and hearing the Stags in the roar, just amazing.

Posts: 188 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:

Not that it matters, but I have hunted on six continents.

Scotland is definitely not my cup of tea, though.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
I only meant roe deer in different countries as that is the topic on here
I guess we can also talk about red stag, nothing like hunt them in their native habitat

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Strongly recommend you contact Mike McCrave ("The Man In The Kilt") for an outstanding Scottish hunting experience. https://www.huntingvacationscotland.com/

Mike has programs that include non-hunting spouses/SOs--he brings a registered tour guide with him on his hunts.

I hunted hill stags with Mike some years ago--a truly memorable experience.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert,

I have some great Roe buck stalking available in England and Scotland if you are interested? Come over in May or June and I can put a great package together for you. Observers can join the stalking at no extra charge.

If you would like to have a chat send me an email to mtaylorsporting@gmail.com

I have had a few AR members book stalking with me in England and Scotland in the last few years for Red, Sika, Roe, Fallow, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer. I can supply references if required.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 684 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote