THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    what�s your opinion to camouflage pattern worn in germany for hunting

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what�s your opinion to camouflage pattern worn in germany for hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all,
although � think i already know the answer to my question, i will give it a try ...to hear what you would say if a hunter shows up in a hunting gear with hunting camo pattern (e.g. realtree).
I think most of u are used to wear and "see" plain green loden or fibre pile (especially on driven hunts), as hunting gear.
I expect that most of u would regard (instead of the states,where everybody wears the camo pattern on hunting gear)those people as [Wink] "outlaws" [Smile]
Am i right???

cheers
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever tried hunting turkey or ducks American style without camouflage? It can be done, but it is MUCH harder.

I will admit that for most American big game hunting (deer, elk, pigs, etc) camouflage is really not necessary. But for turkey or waterfowl, it almost is.

What I find funny is those who wear camo when hunting pheasant or quail. [Roll Eyes]

[ 02-01-2003, 08:57: Message edited by: ksduckhunter ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Konstantin,

I do not think that Camo is necessary, when you sit on your high seat.

But, if you go in the middle of a wood and sit nearby a big tree or bush, it is amazing, when you wear camo. I tried it one time with a Poncho in winter camo (yes, of course, there was a lot of snow) and one time in autumn with a poncho in the German Army camo. Both times a group of roes was coming so close, that I stopped breathing sometimes and I could not move the gun to make a shot. The shortest distance with good wind was five meters and they have not recognized me for nearly two hours.
When I have more time, I will get a complete set of realtree for this purposes.
BTW: I have a brand new long sleeved shirt in Realtree, made by Wollrich, which is to small for me (it is size M, instead of L), if it fits you and you want it I give it to you for 25 Teuro without freight costs. Let me know, wht you think about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HuntingMax:
Thanks for the offer with the shirt,...but i think i�m to tall [Smile] . So the shirt won�t fit me at all, i need a XL or XXL.
If u are looking for some camo pattern items just contacct me, i can give u some web adresses where u will find a lot to choose from.

nice weekend and don�t scary your roes [Big Grin] too much

all the best
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Konstantin,

also thank you for the offer. I forgot, that you are from Berlin, where the "Langen Kerls" where coming from. [Smile] I send you a mail with my adress, if you have time, you can send me mentioned links.

I cannnot scary them in the moment, because I am in the UAE. Here you can only scare donkeys and camels.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I did't know camo wa legal in Germany, somebody told me it is not allowed over there

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey German guys, what would you say if an American hunter showed up dressed in this:

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey ks..
..think they would look a little bit obset.
Because they are only used to see " plain green " concerning hunting gear [Smile]

cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konst#1:
Because they are only used to see " plain green " concerning hunting gear

I am afraid the contrary is true. Orange or another signal colour is statutorily required for group hunts (though a hat band may "legally" suffice), and tracking parties frequently use even orange overalls.
Realtree blaze orange is only slowly beginning to start in Germany, but to put you into perspective, please compare the various threads in the Wild und Hund fora on the very subject, over the last years.

By the way, the convenient protective jackets of timber-cutters (dark green with orange or yellow inserts) are also becoming increasingly popular among German hunters. Mostly with foresters because they are using them anyhow - and they are so damn practical :-).

Carcano

[ 02-13-2003, 03:53: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Konst, in most American states, some amount of signal orange (we call it blaze orange) is required for all or some types of hunting.

For example, in my state (Kansas), blaze orange is required when hunting deer or elk with a rifle (but not with a bow/arrow or muzzleloader). At least 400 square inches total are required on the front and back of the upper body, and also an orange hat. Some people wear even more. We do not require orange when hunting birds, rabbits, or other small game. Duck and turkey hunters almost universally wear camouflage, as those birds have very keen sight, and must be lured within shotgun range.

You may wonder why we have to wear such an ugly color. It's because Americans are not rquired to pass a very strict hunting test like you do. I think we should have a little more training before letting someone have a license, but it will not happen. American tradition is that hunting is for everyone, and almost all American hunters will resist any more regulation. So we compensate in other ways. Even with careful, experienced hunters, it is easier to keep track of your partners when they are wearing some orange.

I don't like the look, but I would be VERY nervous hunting deer without it. Every year some idiot kills or wounds another hunter because he shot at something that moved in the bush. [Mad]

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey Ksduckhunter,...thanks for explainig all the regulations at your home country,..but i�m already familiar with these regulations.
Why i �ve started the thread, you may ask...because i hoped that some German/European Hunters would give me their point of view about camo patterns.
I think (e.g. hardwoods, MOBU...) when u wear them when u are out alone,..nobody could say something negative because they realy fullfill their effect of blending the human contours out,..and so it�s maybe possible to come nearer to a game, that is "living" in open field or wetlands...

But i guess...(and therefore i like to hear some opinions from our german hunters)when you (..for the first time)show up in such a dress ,..without people now you better ..they easily will think you are a "outlaw"..because you have no plain green loden gear.
Hard to explain, but hope you understood ehat i try to say.

All the best
Konst#1
-who will buy a MT050 whitetail suite for the next season- [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i hoped that some German/European Hunters would give me their point of view about camo patterns.

I use a camo winter jacket ("ein Strich - kein Strich" of Eastern fame [Wink] ), but purely for its warmth and convenience (it even has an integral pistol pocket) - the camo effect in the eyes of game is probably non-existent.

By the way, I do only own a single piece of Loden cloth, and that is not even German - an Italian Alpini issue hat.

Weidmannsheil,
Carcano
(what other headgear should I wear with such a nickname ? [Big Grin] )

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hey Ksduckhunter,...thanks for explainig all the regulations at your home country,..but i�m already familiar with these regulations.
Why i �ve started the thread, you may ask...because i hoped that some German/European Hunters would give me their point of view about camo patterns.
I think (e.g. hardwoods, MOBU...) when u wear them when u are out alone,..nobody could say something negative because they realy fullfill their effect of blending the human contours out,..and so it�s maybe possible to come nearer to a game, that is "living" in open field or wetlands...

But i guess...(and therefore i like to hear some opinions from our german hunters)when you (..for the first time)show up in such a dress ,..without people now you better ..they easily will think you are a "outlaw"..because you have no plain green loden gear.
Hard to explain, but hope you understood ehat i try to say.

All the best
Konst#1
-who will buy a MT050 whitetail suite for the next season- [Smile]

Not hard to undestand at all. Nobody wants others to think of them a fool. However, I am one that will do what I think is best, regardless of what others think. If you're like me, go for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moin Konst@
I have no problems with camocloth!
Sometimes,if I�m on "Bockjagd" I wear a motorbikemask for my face.Than I think ,if someone see me ,he must think there is a terrorist. [Wink] .Also on duckhunting,it works good.
Waidmannsheil Hauke

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Good topic, this one!
In Italy we use Orange blazes during wild boars beating. IT IS ABSOLUTELY USEFULL!!!! A lot of hunting teams made it compulsory.

But I would impose it to a lot of people that goes in the woods to search mushrooms or anything else. By law indeed.

Except these situations I think that all the other exagerations, like ghillie suites or similia, are ............exagerations.

I admit that I often dress German military pants and military shirts ( other nations), because I can ill-treat them without problems.

Once an old Austrian Hunter, very elegant in his taditional hunting dresses, looking at me and at my hunting dresses (I was getting back home from Hungary) asked if I were a Bosniac freedom fighter, having a little disgusted grimace on his face. He did not like my dresses, because I did not smell.
He probably hunt big roe and red deer bulls
beeing elegantly dressed, I can't.
[Big Grin] However, now, when I travell trough Europe for hunting I wear a pair of KnikerBoker green pants, wool green socks, shirt and cardigan, all green of course. Quite elegant also for the old Austrian, I hope.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote