Find
Notify
Tools

The invitation arrived today...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
for me to go and hunt a class 1 Chamois (= over 8 years of age) on the Swarovski hunting grounds. Needless to say, I feel elated...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Lucky fella, you! Weidmannsheil!!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
If I said nice things about Swarovski every day on the internet, would they invite me too? Wink

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky Bastard ! Wink

Waidmannsheil on your hunt in Radurschl !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
You, lucky devil! thumb

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Schmidt&Bender have a "revier" somewhere? I have two Schmidt&Bender scopes and they are THE BEST YOU BUY!!! ;-)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
André,

Great! Waidmannsheil!

I have a couple of old Tasco's somewhere in a box in the basement......wonder if I'll get an invite, too?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was invited to hunt wild boar in Greece this winter.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm back from Austria, having had one of the best hunting experiences in my life. The weather was awful, with lots of rain and mist (clouds actually). The 3 of us ("berufsjäger" Albert, my son-in-law Christopher and myself) hunted at 1500 m in a very hard terrain. I suffered but was glad that I trained during the preceding month and stopped smoking 9 months ago. Still the stalking was pretty steep and I suffered from vertigo several times (I never admitted, of course…). During our first day, we saw 3 Chamois, a young, an unsuitable buck (I was after a class 1 buck) and finally this one. We spotted him at 100m, walking the 5 meters that separated him from the cover and the rest happened very fast. I started to raise my bino's but the PH who had recognized the buck whispered : "nein, schiessen, schnell !". I dropped into position and let go 5 cm forward of the shoulder to compensate for the walking. The buck stopped, then took a step backwards before his hindquarters let go. He toppled over on his back and rolled downwards for a few meters on the grassy slope, never moving again. All in all, it was over in 3-4 seconds, not leaving me the time to get nervous, so that I reacted by reflex.

However, nervous I became when we stood before him, a giant buck counting 13 growing rings = aged 13 ! The 3 PH who saw him afterwards had good hopes for C.I.C. Gold ?!? Anyway, I'll have to wait till May 2008 before collecting the trophy as he will participate in the 2007 selection for "best chamois of Tyrol".

Needless to say, I'm elated for having confirmed the French saying "point n'est besoin d'être beau pour avoir de la chance" (there's no need to be handsome to have luck).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A fine animal, congratulations!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Vous avez en effet beaucoup de chance !!!

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
André,

WAIDMANNSHEIL!

What a great Trophy!

Thanks for sharing your expereince and photos with us - fantastic!

From the first photo it appears you manged to send one down range to just the right spot in spite of being rushed - Good on Ya!

There's two & the Gams in the photo - the Butt Ugly one for sure isn't you!

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Un bouc magnifique! What about the rifle? Blaser? Needless to say that the scope is a Swarowski Wink

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superb! Weidmannsheil!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your appreciation. Although I had planned to take along my Sauer 202 for which I recently acquired a new .30-06 barrrel, the (horrible) weather forecast for Austria (heavy rain on Friday and light rain the following days) dissuaded me. Not willing to expose the Sauer stock, I changed my mind in the last minutes and opted for my Blaser R93 OffRoad instead. I shot my .300 Win handloads consisting of 165 Sierra GK / N 160 / 73.5 (CCI 250 primer). I had to shoot fast and my bullet entered the point of the right shoulder, exiting behind the off shoulder. Both lungs were shot away and several pieces of it + a large spraying of blood were found at the "anschuss". I was amazed to see how tough a hide the Chamois has as the exit wound was only slightly larger than an inch (a deer hides tears more easily).

As it turned out, we had lots of light rain and mist the 1st day and nice sunny weather on saturday and Monday.

Wildboar, well...yes, the scope is indeed a Swarovski 2,5-10x42 and the binos are EL 10x42. How did you guess Roll Eyes ?, I thought it might be looked upon as an "indélicatesse" to go with a Tasco...

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
That is a very good one Andre! Chapeu

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I'm particularly attentive to the opinions of our German, Swiss, Italian and French friends who for sure know a lot more about Chamois than I do. Not only was it my first time hunting them but also the second time I watched Chamois in my life, both times in Austria. What has already become evident is that Chamois and/or mountain hunting is dangerously addictive. I do not dare to tell my wife but I am already dreaming about Ibex... dancing

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

Wow, thats an impressing chamois!

Congratulations!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a Trophy ! thumb
WAIDMANNSHEIL

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Allright Andre nice one - surely in the silver class (105-109,9 CIC) maybe over that elusive gold of 110, but at the end the hunt counts most (try the winter one next Wink) - congrats thumb

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely right, Mouse. I was excited to go after my 1st. Chamois and never thought of a medal. The adventure was exciting and would have been the same even with a smaller one. Only after the kill, was there talk of scoring. Anyway, I already learned that there's no such thing as an easy Chamois, whatever its size.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Finally, one year later, I received my trophy from Austria. It went through the national trophy contest and came out with a C.I.C. bronze medal (103.9 points, barely missing silver by 1.1 pt.) Frowner.

Anyway, whatever the quotation, I'll forever cherish the memory of a great hunt and challenge thumb.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
What an exceptional animal, Waidmannsheil!

What do you have to do to get into a Swarovski Revier hunt?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the adventure, trophy and the well written story!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super trophy, Andre! They don't grow on trees in that size...

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the photos and story.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Smiler Andre those hooks look lonely on the wall Wink - BTW - here is a clip from one of my friends (actualy his wife's), that may look similar to your hunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QvPjvjJSg

Bring back some memories huh?

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Hey Mouse, I could have been it in place of the lady ! Except for a few details, everything looks amazinly the same : surroundings, stalking, the Chamois rolling down the hill, etc. The only thing the lady misses is an "Alpenstock" (mountaineer's walking stick), which proves mightily handy and safer on the rocky slopes. Thanks for the video Smiler

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Waidmansheil Andre!

The scenery looks amazing and that is a proper trophy!

ATB,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice clip, Mouse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre'

Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. Such a noble looking animal!

elkjaeger

Posts: 43 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote