Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce 5.5-22x50
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted
I have been considering the purchase of a high-power scope, and after checking a lot of brands and specs (and prices!) I am inclined on ordering a Nightforce 5.5-22x50.
I have other scopes from several manufacturers (Zeiss, Swarovski, Leopold, …) but all their scopes on this power range are far more expensive than the Nightforce.
I found the Nightforce for £ 1,121 at decoying.co.uk. This looks like a good price when compared with what I am being asked for a similar (power wise) scope of other brands.
Any one with first hand experience with this scope, that cares to share his experience?
And what about decoying.co.uk? Does any one have info on them?

Thanks

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm sure this will a big fight but i don't care Big Grin i personaly think that nightforce are over priced and over rated, they are just the in thing at the moment just like when I started rifle shooting the S&B 3-12x50 PM2 was the only scope to have now it no it has been knocked of the spot. I have used 3 or 4 rifles with the nightforce and the optic quallity do not match Swarovski. I have a 8.5-25x50 varmint hunter leopold that bought in America for less than £400 i am very pleased with it.
for the money you are spending I would go for the Swarovski 6-24x50 with the TDS plex.
they you go just my opinion hope it helps thumb

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I agree there are better scopes but the Nightforce holds its own in that price range. I have a 10 yr old 5.5 x 22 x 56 and my principal complaint is size and weight. No problems with performance.

Unless something has changed, Nightforce buys their glass from Nikon to Nightforce specs. If they're using cheaper glass these days, it may be different product than mine.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a little fun fact:

according to an ad in the latest rifleshooter, a nightforce scope stopped a bullet from a 7.62x39 and the sniper was able to carry out his mission.

sorry to go OT

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 NIghtforce scopes. Some are the BR model and some are the NXS models. I will give them a glowing recommendation. They have all held zero, the clicks are positive and repeatable, the optics are clear and they are great for late (very late) hunting. I can dial my 5.5-22x56 up from 100 yds to 300 yds and then to 440 yds and back to 100 yds. The clicks are always the same and the result is always the same. S&B and Swarovski optics will give you no better service.

Posts: 130 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 3.5-15 on a 308 and the 5.5-22 on 308's and on a Barrett 50.

I have shot them as far as 900 yards. The "clicks" are good.

They are heavy, but they are very rugged.

My only complaint is that you cannot adjust the illuminated reticle bright ness with out taking the paralax turret off.

The European scopes do seem a little clearer/brighter to my eye.

I do wish you could get the Night Force scopes with a Ballistic Cam.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do you intend to use it on and what application?

i have a nightforce in that magnification, its pretty good, holds zero well and for the rifle ive got it on its perfect.

i have got swarovski and S&B scopes, they are really good, for their applications i use them in they are great.

have you tried the www.sportsmanguncentre.com

they should be able to give a pretty competitive price.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Just to upset the apple cart a bit, I would love to like the nightforce scope in your dimension, and have come close to buying one several times.....but in my opinion(and when tested side by side with the Swaro 6-24x50 there was only one winner, the swaro).

Better glass, better field of view, better at lowlight.

I do like the reticle in the nightforce, but have never needed the illumination and I also like the target turrets.

But that is my opinion! Roll Eyes

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I am currently running a side by side test of the NXS 8-32x56, S&B 4-16x50, VX III 6.5-2-x50, NXS 5.5-22x50, Mk4 8-25x50 Ill Ret and A Swaro 6-24x50.

So far the S&B seems to have the best low light vision. but it is early days yet no clever testing equipment just th Mk1 eye.

I will try and post the results at the end of the season.

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex.Y:
what do you intend to use it on and what application?

i have a nightforce in that magnification, its pretty good, holds zero well and for the rifle ive got it on its perfect.

i have got swarovski and S&B scopes, they are really good, for their applications i use them in they are great.

have you tried the www.sportsmanguncentre.com

they should be able to give a pretty competitive price.

Alex,

I intend to use it on my stalking rifle (Blaser K95 – 7x65R).
I followed your advice and had a look at Sportsman, and found out that they are selling the Swaro 6-24x50 much cheaper than I can buy it here in Portugal. And just £190 more than the Nightforce!
I think I will go with the Swaro!

Thanks,

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good move, you wont be dissapointed thumb

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
b.martins,

if its for your stalking rifle, you might want to try the 6-18 x 50 AV model, same glass but just lighter.

ive got a 6-24 x 50 swaro on my 243 for a combination of stalking and vermin.
if it were just for stalking i wouldn't dismiss either the 6-18 AV or the 4-16 x50 PV,

of course i don't want to confuse you, all swaro scopes are excellent,

good luck with your choice

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x50 and a swarovski 4-16x50 av tds4 ,on my stalking rifles a 243 and 270 the nightforce has too many faults on a stalking rifle compaired to the swarovski ,all my stalking friends use the tds4 .and i will sell the nightforce some time for another tds4 regards john

Posts: 60 | Location: south east of ireland | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only complaint is that you cannot adjust the illuminated reticle bright ness with out taking the paralax turret off.

That is true on the NXS model but isn't true on the bench rest model.

I use 3 Nightforce scopes including a 5.5-22X bench rest model. My only complaint about them would be their size and weight but I'm willing to put up with that because they're also very rugged.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't put a huge scope on a K95. The rifle only weighs under 6lbs so a big scope is going to unbalance it and make it top heavy.

Also a K95 IMHO is not a rifle to stretch things with so I would question why you feel the need to have something with clicks etc. The lack of a quick follow up shot is an issue despite what a lot of people say. I know as there is a limping around to prove it (I've seen it a couple of times in the 2 subsequent years but out of season or unsafe shot) courtesy of me, my K95 and an angled shot that I knew I should have left with a single shot.

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
I decided for the Swaro 6-24, and ordered it!
For now I intend to use it with the K95, but in a not so far (I hope!) future it will be moved to my 8x68S to help me in getting that Mongolian Ibex have been dreaming of!
Wink

B.Martins