THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Need info on 286gr. 9.3 Norma Alaska bullet

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on 286gr. 9.3 Norma Alaska bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 9.3x74R double and I want to have several boxes of factory ammo on hand in case I run out of reloads. I hunt pigs once or twice a month in the off season and hunt every weekend Nov-Jan and may not have time to reload. How have the 286gr. Alaska Bullets preformed for you in the 9.3x74R and the 9.3x62? Thanks.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
It aint the best one but it sure works. So for having it fabric it could be ok.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
N E 450 No2

Alaska is a fairly fast opening bullet of "central european style". For shooting pigs in Tx it will work,. It can cause quite big wounds on game if the bullets hits wrong.

Norma has the new oryx bullet in 9,3 and 286 grains, should work fine

/ JOHAN

[ 11-21-2002, 05:25: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Johan

is it getting to late for you [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
.....may not have time to reload.......

quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
.....Don't you handload? .......

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
[Confused] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

What comes around goes around

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I am going to use the 286 Alaska bullet on deer and pigs for the rest of the deer season and see how they work. Yes I do handload, In fact untill this weekend I had never used factory 9.3 on game, see my prior posts. Sometimes my schedule is so busy I may not have time to "reload" any "handloads". [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<K9>
posted
The Alaska bullet should work for your purpose I think. I've shot maybe 10-15 roedeer and 3 moose with it. It opens pretty quickly but usually (!) holds together - its pretty much a standard non premium bullet if you get what I mean. On one moose hit diagonally in the shoulder I found the empty jacket agaist the skin in the rear end - moose fell on spot...
BTW I now use the Oryx bullet.
Good luck!
K9

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have used them on Kudu and they worked fine, opens a bit fast, if you hit bone it won't retain much lead but it wil get the job done. I will use it, I used them in my 9.3x62 at 2400

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
I used them in my 9.3 x 62 in RSA in May.
Everything died but I still do not feel I got good penetration....expansion...yes.
I knocked a black wildebeest down 3 times and twice the PH declared him dead...WRONG. The third time I knocked him down I finished him off with 40 S&W the PH had.
When I say knocked down I am talking feet in air! I decked him with both the first and second shots however there were a total of 12 shots fired at him before it was all over with. Needless to say, I missed some of the running shots but there was one exit wound under right rear flank that I feel you could have put a softball into and not gotten blood on it.
I think the PMP 286 grn ammo I bought exiting RSA or the 250 Barnes X and / or 286 Nosler Partition I just had loaded this week would have done better.
All the animals shot died and are home but...the stuff we shot with the 180 Nosler Partition '06 just got shot and died right there as always.
Love the 9.3 x 62 but think I will change bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. When I first got my 9.3 I bought several boxes of the Norma 286 Alaska so I would have something to shoot till my dies,cases and bullets for handloading arrived. I like to keep some factory ammo on hand for emergencies. When the Alaska stuff runs out I will try some of the Oryx unless ya'll know of one better.
Harry, a buddy of mine reported excellent results on African game with the PMP factory loads in 308WCF. I saw a couple of recovered bullets and they looked good.
I also have almost a fullbox left of Norma 232gr. soft point vulkan, actually lookes like a protected point/ slight hollowpoint. Anybody ever use any of these?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add this. I like to try different factory loads in my "traveling" hunting rifles in case I need to resupply for any reason, then I will know what shoots good, or if one kind is all they have, I keep records as to where this stuff shoots to assist in rezeroing.

<Mads>
posted
Well NE 450 No 2 - I can't add anything new regarding the Alaska bullet. I agree with those who states that it is a rapid exspanding bullet.

Regarding the Vulcan well it isn't rapid exspanding but sure its is fast exspanding! If you intend to use Norma factory ammo stay with the Oryx. To my knowlegde Oryx is the only Norma bullet I would trust for hunting bigger stuff. Roe deer and so no problem - but if I point my rifle at serious game and I have to use a Norma bullet - Oryx will be the choiche.

If you wanna use try other factory loads try the RWS with TUG.

Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mads Thanks.