THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Boar Hunting In Europe For An American-How Difficult?

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boar Hunting In Europe For An American-How Difficult?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If an American wanted to hunt Boar in Europe, how difficult is it make the arrangements? Are there booking agents that arrange this? I imagine it would be better to rent a rifle rather than try to bring my own but .....

Any idea on costs and can I expect to pay more than a European hunter would?

Not really interested in anything else but Boar.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Driven or stalked ?
Trophy or not ?
The average German hunter pays more, which leaves you better opportunities for driven boar, but nobody can guarantee you will shoot, unless you go for fenced shoots.
And no rifle will shoot like your own.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophy quality & I would like to try both driven and stalked.

What is the season for hunting boar?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just a quick web search and I came up with this . I'm sure there are many options in Germany and Eastern Europe

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Germaine, they have both a small "slaughtering" park and open forest drives.
They tend to heavily feed the boar to keep them nearby. The parties are of 30 guns+ and the drawing of your peg is not always fair. But it is easily accessible for a foreign hunter...
Better shoots are available, but you need to be introduced by a local hunter.
In any case, you need to train to enjoy successful drives.
Poland offers good shoots, but Germany is close and prices have soared.
Turkey would be my favourite, but it is a muslim country, and not so safe for the time being.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill - can I suggest you drop a line to EXPRESS - he is looking to build his American Client base - having seen the operation he runs - Im recommending it!

If you're a hunter you will love it. Italy is easily accessible and Tuscany is very family friendly!! [Smile]

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I hunted with a friend in Germany a couple years ago and enjoyed the experience very much. I don't think you will find much stalking for Boar in Germany. The Boar have been hunted there for so long that most are nocturnal and they are hunted by moonlight out of baited high seats or on driven shoots useing dogs. I found the hunting very restricted and there are many rules, one of the most important is no shooting after 12 noon,
no shooting on the ridges or near the property line, and never cross the property line even if you can see the dead animal laying there. I watched two terophy Roe Bucks feed one evening on the skyline and could have taken either one if they had been down 50 yards. They know where to go to be safe.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
A Danish outfitting company called "Diana" has a lot of hunts into the old Eastern Block for very reasonable prices. See if you can find them on the web.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Db Bill,

is not difficult for an american hunt the wild boar. You can go in many contries. But for the prices and the trophy quality I think the best is in the East Europe. Also is very easy to rent a gun. This is the web site of an italian agent for the hungary, Mr. Giovanni Montino. I think Giovanni can organize for you a very good trip.
http://www.auroracaccia.hu/
Good Luck

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<IronMan>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Bulgaria in the begining of december on a driven hunt through a danish hunting company called Primier Hunting tours, http://www.premier-hunting.dk/ you can contact Rasmus Braun. We were 8 guns and shoot about 20 boars. I was very lucky because this was my first time to shoot boars and I shoot 3 male and one small one. Price was about 2500 USD including flight from Copenhagen.

JanG

Posts: 38 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Germany there are a few companies which offer hunts on boar. But the monst of German hunters which do not have boar in their own area go to Eastern Europe.
Hungary was very popular, but the prices rised and rised, so that it is cheaper to go to Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria or Turkey.

But at the moment I do not know an agent. We have enough boar here.  -

[ 05-28-2003, 14:19: Message edited by: Sauenj�ger1 ]

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauenj�ger1:

But at the moment I do not know an agent. We have enough boar here.

In fact we have too many boars and there are not many clear nights with full moon to hunt them all!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you go to Eastern Europe i would strongly recommend using an old established outfitter as I have heard quite a few horror stories about hunting boar there and similar sorries regarding being ripped off in Pakistan and Tunisia/Morrocco(sp?) too

A friend of mine has been to one of the Eastern European countries (I can't remember which one) twice and each time there was hassles over the final price ect. These were both DIY packages they put together themselves without an outfitter and on both visits when they came to pay the balance before returning they were sbjected to "hidden extras" and "misunderstandings" which put the price up to what was agreed.

Next year they are changing location and are trying the boar hunting in the Czech Republic. Interestly though, the price for a week on driven boar and deer is probably going to come out at about the same as a basic plainsgame hunt in RSA!

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Have a look at www.chasseloire.com

Only opened last year but is a friend who I know has the highest standards. I can send you the number for the booking agent in London if you need it.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
DB Bill

Often the trouble of bringing a gun in Europe is getting out from US. Most countries have few permits that is needed and little hazzle. Contanct the countries embassy for information, often you only need a simple permit and an invitation to get the rifle in [Wink]

Hungary and Poland are great to hunt in and you can do great deals with the right agencies, but there are manny fall pits too. Trophy fees can be very high if you shoot a big pig. Bulgaria and former Yugoslavia also has some nice driven pig hunts. Finding the right agency is cruicial, ask for contact with previous guests.

Poland and Hugary have goverment controlled organisations that would be able to get you some informations about different operators and areas.

Decide were you want to go and then start looking, pigs are avilable in most of Europe.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
DB Bill

Often the trouble of bringing a gun in Europe is getting out from US.

Not for us Americans. We need no permit to take a gun with us. Just declare it with Customs before we leave so we can prove we didn't buy it in another country and thus avoid paying import duty on something we already own on our return.

Bill, most reputable outfitters will arrange the necessary permits to bring your rifle and/or shotgun to Europe. Be sure to ask about any caliber, magazine capacity, or action type restrictions. Most European countries have dumb laws, like no military cartridges (30-06, 308 Win, etc.) in France.

[ 05-29-2003, 05:15: Message edited by: Orion 1 ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I think that anyone of us can give you info about his own country, and some one can give you infos on East Europe countries (EEc). Like me.
I know at least three EEc, Hungary, Romenia and Bulgary, where I have very good contacts for big game hunting. For wild boars Romania and Bulgary are my favourites, and the best hunting season is the winter. Generally speaking, for driven hunts is better to be four/five hunter, stalking is not so common, and the best way to collect big trophies is to hunt from the blind.
A moonlit night, the best is in a full moon night, and a well snowed ground... these are the best conditions.
feel free to contact e foe any info.

bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,you`ve got mail [Wink] [Smile]
Waidmannsheil Hauke

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
[QUOTE]Most European countries have dumb laws.

Orion 1, to you I wish the worst of luck [Big Grin] Thankfully you are not representing the Americans with you opinions or mannors, but the boneheads and they can be found across the whole globe.

DB Bill, Regardless of you choice of hunt and country, good luck and enjoy it [Smile]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
[QUOTE]Most European countries have dumb laws.

Orion 1, to you I wish the worst of luck [Big Grin] Thankfully you are not representing the Americans with you opinions or mannors, but the boneheads and they can be found across the whole globe.

DB Bill, Regardless of you choice of hunt and country, good luck and enjoy it [Smile]

/ JOHAN

Speaking only in the context of firearms, as I was, yes you do.

Almost every single Western European country has absurdly ridiculous laws regarding ownership, storage, and use of firearms compared to about 45 of the 50 American states.

They certainly do compared to my home state of Kansas.

Would you care to guess how many licenses I need to buy gun, ANY gun, from a licensed dealer? From a private individual? Would you care to guess how restrictive are the laws regarding gun storage in Kansas, compared to say, the UK?

I'm sorry if the truth hurts. That's really not my problem.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<DOC>
posted
Since the publication of an artical in an american gun rag, my secret is out. Lithuania is a great place for an american hunter to feel truly welcomed. The customs process is less difficult now than when I was first there. I am even going to bring pistols my next trip to compete with some friends I have made at their national police academy. My wife and I have family and friends in Kaunas, Vilnius, and Klepeda, although now I think your outfitter will take care of you from picking you to sending your hides.

DOC

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
This is a part of a pricelist I got from the Czech rep.

W I L D B O A R

Hunting season: hogget, gruntling all year
tusker, wild sow 16.8. � 31.12.
rutting 1.12. � 31.12.

Bronze medal 110 � 114,99 CIC
Silver medal 115 � 119,99 CIC
Gold medal 120 + CIC

Price in EUR
Gruntling 50,-
Hogget 130,-
Wild sow 300,-

TUSKER
points CIC
- 100 600,-
100,01 � 105 750,-
105,01 � 110 900,-
every next whole point
110,01 � 115 80,-
115,01 � 120 120,-
120 + 180,-

Preparation 30,-
Stalking guide 40,-
wounding - tusker, wild sow 300,-
- gruntling, hogget 30,-
Cutting off head with neck in skin 30,-
Coat 100,-
Cancellation-charge for each hunt 100,-
Preparation in skin 350,-

16. Hunting arms as well as other equipment for hunting can be lend. An arm for 25 EUR/hunting day.

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote