Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BOSS on my Browning A bolt
 Login/Join

posted
I have Browning A bolt 22-250 that came stock with a "BOSS" on it. This is a great coyote gun but if I want to shoot it in the field I have to at the very-least wear an earplug in my left ear.
What I would like to know is what would it cost change the barrel to somthing comparable or is there somthing else I could do i.e. remove it and cut the barrel. I say cut the barrel because I unscrewed the BOSS and it has exposed male threads at the end for about 1-1/4". If I do cut the barrel how much will that effect my accuracy?

On a side note why would they even put a BOSS on a 22-250!!??

Posts: 16 | Location: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that cutting the boss off would be the cheapest route. the only problem that I see would be changing the barrel length. I think cutting off the boss would leave you with 23 to 24" of barrel if it was 26" to begin with. the .22-250 gets its velocity from the 26" tube. i changed out the barrel on my .308 a-bolt because i like a longer barrel on my guns. I think barrel and all work done was around 350.00. don't let anyone tell you that you cant change out the barrel on an a-bolt. it will work and will shoot just fine. i used a lilja tube and it has worked great.....blake

Posts: 45 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Cut it off, re-crown it and see how you like it.

They put the Boss on 22.250's because people will buy them. (Sorry, couldn't resist it.) Some varmint shooters like a muzzle brake so that they can "look" the bullet into the target and watch the varmints explode. Although if you hit them right, you should be able to watch the pieces come down after you recover from the recoil!

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
You should have a Boss CR with the gun if it's a newer one. You can use this in place of the break for standard recoil and still maintain your accuracy settings. If you can't stand the appearance sell the gun and get something else.
JMHO

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxwell: I think another reason the BOSS system was put on Rifles was it supposedly would allow owners of Rifles with the BOSS on them to be able to dial in accuracy. I have heard from many people that claim they have increased accuracy by adjusting the BOSS. I do not know for sure as I have never owned one!

I do know this I had a custom heavy Varminter made some years back in caliber 223 Remington with a muzzle brake. The dust this Rifle sucks up and the noise that it creates has soured me from ever wanting another muzzle brake on a Rifle.

You have not heard anything loud though until you have heard my friend Ben touch off his custom 338/378 Weatherby with muzzle brake. It is heinously painful to be on the same side of the mountain when that Rifle goes off! The muzzle blast when even 20 feet away often induces an instant headache for me!

Did you buy your Rifle new or used?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is the loudest, most unnecessary piece of steel ever cretaed. As I said earlier the gun shoots great but the Dial in you bullet has little to no effect. I say little just because I paid for it and want some satisfaction for my money. Out of the box and little load work-up I was shooting .60 groups at 100yrds with this gun.
Lofter, I did buy the gun new but it did not have the CR with it, I pulled up the Boss CR and found that I could get it for under $30 through the internet, so I�ll try that first and just hope for my hearing to return some day.

Thanks for the help

Posts: 16 | Location: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxwell, You can buy a CR, conventional recoil boss from Browning for $25 freight paid and that will solve your problems. My A-Bolt with the Boss shot 3 shots in the same hole and 1 shot .25 outside of those. Those who badmouth the boss have not owned one. jb

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel the boss system works quite well. My misgiving is that I reload for 11 different calibers using a lot of different powders and bullets. You have to find the "sweet spot" for each bullet and powder dosage you intend to use. That, my friend, is an awful lot of experimenting with a multitude of components. Maybe in my next life I'll give it a whirl, but not in this one. I'd never get out of my reloading room. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Get a CONVENTIONAL MUZZLE BRAKE boss from Browning!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote