New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Bi-pod ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im thinking of buying my first bi-pod and im looking for some advice ......

Im looking for something i can switch between my Air rifles, .22 rimfire,and my .308 with out any hassle.For range use but also varminting......

Im looking at Harris bi-pods and B-square bi-pods ridged and tilting ?

Im leaning toward the B-square tilting bi-pod ? Any reason i shouldnt ?

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I figure if you get the B-Square model as your first one your second one will be a Harris. Either way you'll end up using the Harris.

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used Harris pibods for years and they are a great bipod. I had one in all three heights. A couple of years ago I tried the Caldwell bipod sold by Midway and once I did, I sold my Harris bipods and went to solely the Caldwell. They are a heck of a bipod and quite a bit cheaper too. I seen in the Midway catalog that they are on special this month for $39.99, which is about half the price of a Harris.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wells, Nevada | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt_E
posted Hide Post
I had the B-Square and then fell in love with Harris.
Get the Harris and don't look back. There is a world of difference in quality and feel.
Can't comment on Caldwell.

Posts: 9130 | Location: US of A | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys

Im a bit surprised from what ive seen of the Harris they seem heavy and "twangy" with that spring .....

Nobody mentioned wether ridged or tilting ?

Knowing the ground i shoot over up hill and down dale im guesssing the tilting would be very handy.

I had a quick look on widway there seems to be loads of different models ?? Help ??

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a regular Harris that does not tilt and it does well on flat ground, but on a hill or uneven ground(everywhere) it sucks. I haven't used their S series I think it's called. A buddy of mine has a Versa-Pod that tilts and all that and I really like it. I should've gotten that one, but I didn't know about it at the time. He's had it for a while now and he switches it from gun to gun with different slides or whatever you call them that goes on the sling swivel stud on each gun. I think he's pretty hard on it too and it's held up fine. For what it's worth...

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Harris all the way! Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE USED MY HARRIS BIPODS FOR YEARS.. WOULD NOT ANY WHERE ELSE. AS FAR AS THE NON PIVOTING OR PIVOTING. THE NON PIVOTING HAS WORKED GREAT FOR ME ON HILLS UP HILL DOWN HILL FLAT GROUND OR WHATEVER. MOST OF THE TIME I HAVE THEM ADJUSTED TO WHERE THEY NEED TO BE. MAKING MINOR ADJUSTMENTS AS NEEDED FOR THE SHOT....HOPE THIS HELPS

Posts: 45 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing with bipods is how solid they feel when you shoot over them. The tilting, swiveling, etc. all adds up to less rigidity when shooting. As far as the Harris feeling heavy or twangy goes, they do add considerable weight to a gun, and only twang if you slap the legs into or out of posiion. I control the legs while moving them and the weight also contribute to the solidity of the rest. I have three rigid Harris bipods now, they're all I use.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shortest model(s) (6-9 inches) are the BRM versions (Benchrest I'd guess). They have notched legs and as such won't slip when you're shooting.
The model I use most is the LM (9 - 13 inches), it's six (6) position spring loaded notched legs also won't slip when shooting.

There is a model 25C I believe that has three (3) piece adjustable legs. This model allows the shooter to comfortably sit while shooting. It has the friction type infinite adjustable legs.

The "S" series of these same bipods as the Swivel models. I don't have any swivel models but many folks say they're very nice.

Many of the models spring loading is inward loaded (retract automatically), I prefer the outward loaded (spring out) legs (the LM amd "S" LM).

The friction type (infinite) leg adjustment is nice but IT WILL slip on you, it's not a matter of IF it's a matter of WHEN. The notched legs offer a little less adjustment precision but they won't slip while shooting.

I pean the bolt on the legs when I get a new bipod... the nuts will become loose and you may have a non-functioning bipod when least expected. Just a little calibration style "whack" to mash the bolt end nicely to prevent the nut from escaping.

"Model BR: (Bench Rest) Lowest of the Bipods. Most useful for shooting off the bench. Adjustable height from 6" to 9".

Model L: (Light) The world's largest selling bipod, compact and light. Adjustable height from 9" to 13" Weight 11 oz.

Model H: (High) For prone or sitting shooting, it's the best for varmint shooting. Adjustable from 13 1/2" to 23"

Model 25C: The tallest of the Bipods, Three piece leg construction adjustable from 13 1/2" to 27"

STYLES:

Series "M": A new version of the original Leg Notch Bipod. The legs eject by spring action. Height settings in 1" increments.

Series "S": Rotates to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness. They are otherwise similar to non-rotating Series. Available for ALL models except the "H" model."

Hope this helps.

There is one model that I have found to be of little practical value.. it's the two (2) piece leg Tall model (I forget the exact model number)... It's a little too tall or not tall enough it seems.

I don't use the "S" swivel models but others I know use them and seem to feels there's no other option.

Here's the models described via a vendor...
http://www.holstersupply.com/harrisbipods.htm

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you decide on a Harris and want to shoot with it from both sitting and prone positions, attempt at a sporting goods store to try a number of them. You will be disappinted if you grab one then find it's too low (or high) when fully extended to shoot from sitting. I've been through the mill with Harris bipods for many, many years. Afix one in the store to a rifle, then extend the legs and see how you fit sitting first. Likely the prone position will be just fine on one that's right for sitting. Also, the swivel type is important when you must shoot quicky. On something like p'dogs or ground squirrels when you have plenty of time, the rigid type is fine. Enough for now. Mike

Posts: 21 | Location: Missoula, Montana 59802 | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Going back to my previous post I should have explained why I switched from Harris bipods to the Caldwell. I had a friend that had bought a Caldwell and was telling me how much he liked it. I took a look at it but before I looked at it I was sure that there could be no better bipod than the Harris. Then I looked the Calwell over and seen it would do everything that the Harris would do, plus a lot less bulkier, half the weight and they didn't have those springs. As I said I switched and glad I did. I'm not saying that the Harris is not a good bipod as it is but I've had both and for the reasons listed above I feel the Caldwell is the better bipod especially for hunting purposes. I kill coyotes for a living and especially in my summer calling, my dogs and I end up with long walks after wet bitches and their litters. When I have a rifle on a sling across my shoulder the Harris being so bulky would always make carrying a rifle a pain in the butt.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wells, Nevada | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Harris tilting with the smooth adjustable legs.
Some later model has notched legs which are a bit awkward at times

Tim

one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I use the Caldwell bipods on my Contenders and varmint rifles. I found them at Bass Pro and Midway. Great for the price and durable.

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be the odd man out- I use a Versapod- which I believe is loosely based on the Parker Hale design . It is the sitting model (fits my uses), they also have a prone model available. It comes with two attachments for the gun, so you can switch the bipod from one rifle to another, quickly and easily. This same attachement doubles as a hand rest, so you can steady the gun on the pod (it is a swivel model, also). I like it better than the Harris I had, and switch it between my 223 and 2506. I got it through Cabelas. I think the price was $56 about a year ago.

Coot