New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Optics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for some advise for quality night optic/scopes. I have limited knowledge about night optics and hope some of the readers/night varmint hunters in this forum could kindly make some recommendations.

The general season in E. Texas is about to close so it's getting time to help rid the state of a few coyotes, hogs, etc. Our varmints (a.k.a. "critters") tend be in the medium to large size so my favored varmint rifle is the Rem .308 VS.

I know there exist a forum on "optics", but I figure the varmint hunters will have the experience and expertise with night vision assisted hunting.

Thanks.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you're looking for a night type monocular/bino or if you're looking for a weapon sight. In either case be ready to spend money. The 1st gen stuff you see is mostly russian, has a lifespan of about 600 hrs decreasing from new to 600 hrs. The 2nd gen is much better, but has a life of about 1200 hrs. The 3rd gen stuff is solid state and has a virtual lifespan. There is some 3 1/2 type stuff out there too. What to expect to get - lets say you are looking at a black and white cat in the ditch 50 yards away. 1st gen you will probably need an infrared illuminator to see any defination. You will see the shape of the cat. 1st gen USA is about like 2nd russian. Through 2nd gen you will see the cat and probably be able to see that it has 2 shades of color (if you study it awhile) the illuminator will help lots yet. Through 3rd gen you see the cat clearly and be able to see that it is bicolor without the illuminator. Again the illuminator will help out by making the scene brighter. Through 3 1/2 gen the picture will be as bright as 3rd gen with the illuminator. Through 2nd you would see the cat yet at say 75 yds. 3rd gen you will see the cat at probably 125 yds, 3 1/2 gen will strech it out to 200 yds. Pricing on 1st gen stuff will run from 100-500. 2nd gen will run 300-800 with weapons sights running about 50% more than monocular. 3rd gen will set you back about 1500 for a monocular or 4000 for a decent sight. 3 1/2 gen will usually start at about 6000. In use I have found that 1st and 2nd gen stuff is almost useless. 3rd gen is really quite good and 3 1/2 gen is simply too much money. I believe that ITT 3rd gen monocular is probably the best buy out there at about 1500 plus another 125 for the illuminator

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the informative reply.

I failed to clarify in my inquiry is that what I'm really wanting info on is a rifle-mount night vision scope. You answered my question very well.

One of my buds has been involved in NV varmint hunting here in E. TX for 8 yrs. that I recall. He has a couple of 3rd gen. NV rifle scopes -- one I believe that is a G.I. mil-spec. Seems as technology evolves, the mass or size of the scope bodies decreases. (I may not be qualified to make that assumption!) He lives on a ranch and raises cattle, etc., so he has a vested interest in coyote hunting. He is popular enough with his night varmint hunting reputation that other folks have invited him to help rid the coyote populations on their property.

I realize the cost involved are expensive but everything fun has it's price. (did I mention divorce, lawyers, child support, college?) However, here in my neck of the woods the hogs and coyotes are a serious problem that is getting worse. I believe the initial investment in quality (NV) optics will quickly pay for itself because just about all ranchers have the varmint problem and will provide many places to shoot. It will be a worthwhile endeavor.

Thanks again for the info. I will start looking at ITT products. In the meantime, if any other AR members have any knowledge,info, or suggestions on this topic please feel free to contribute.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LeeOtis ,
My guess is that there is more game shot in darkness in Australia than anywhere else in the world .
Practically no-one uses night vision equipment here .Cost is a factor but in reality the main reason is that a spotlight is much more effective .Red filters can be fitted to prevent spooking light sensitive game but most species (including pigs , foxes etc.) don't usually require one .
Most on - foot hunting is done with a Lightforce scope - mounted light and a small battery pack .They are very effective , light in weight and are exported as a kit to the USA .
I know that in some US states spotlighting is illegal but not sure about your situation .If not illegal then I suggest you have a look at the Lightforce website .You'll save thousands and shoot more game than your night vision equipped friend .
BTW any decent scope will work well with a good spotlight . Those with lit reticles are probably a slight advantage .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote