New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limited Money
 Login/Join

<Goob3723>
posted
I am one of the young and up coming varminters, however a severe lack of money comes with being a student. I am interested in in purchasing a .223 rifle and scope to do some varmint hunting. If at all possible I'd like to keep the whole setup under $500 at the same time. I'd prefer something with a heavy barrel and have looked the most at single shot New England Arms guns, but if anybody has any good recommendations on rifle type or scope that offer good quality and are affordable that would help

one of us
posted Hide Post
We've been having good luck with the Simmons Whitetail Expeditions in both 3X9 and 4X12.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
The H&R Ultra Varmints and other NEF .223 heavy barreled rifles are fantastic performers. I know of half a dozen folks, myself included, who own one and will not part with it.

That's the good news.

The bad news is good luck finding one. Marlin now owns H&R/NEF and they have thrown all of their production muscle into supplying the market with .17 HMR's. It's hell to get an Ultra Varmint nowadays.

If you can find one, you should expect to pay around 240 dollars, give or take twenty. Break the barrel in with a shoot, clean routine for at least forty shots--these barrels don't begin to really tighten up until about 100 rounds have been put down the tube. The Winchester "Varmint Packs" that can be found at Walmart for 13.00 or so are excellent. The single shot H&R/NEF should shoot these MOA if not a little better.

The rifle will come with a Weaver rail on it, but remove it, degrease the screws and screw holes, and use thread lock to reinstall. I've seen several of these bases work loose--apparently the factory doesn't tighten them down adequately.

The triggers on these rifles are really heavy. H&R will lighten the trigger for free if you will return the receiver to them. They'll take it from about 7 pounds to about 3 pounds.

As for a scope, get yourself a decent one. You'll have saved enough on the purchase of the rifle to afford a Leupold VX I in 4 to 12, which shouldn't cost over 240 dollars. A set of adequate Weaver rings can be had for another twenty. Or you could go with the Leupold VX I in 3 to 9 for about 200 dollars, which should serve you well on a .223.

If you don't want to blow that much on a scope, look at the Swift line. They have an over the counter lifetime warranty, and a 4 to 12 should go for about 150 dollars.

Best of luck in you choices.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Goob-

First post? Welcome aboard! [Smile]

Dan gave good advice above. Something else to consider is a Savage. Although I don't have one (Remington man here...), they have a fine reputation for accuracy at an affordable price.

For a scope, look at a Weaver. They are hard to beat for the money.

Of course, you could always look for something used. You may find a great deal if you keep your eyes open.

Good luck, and have fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage model 12BVSS .223. It is a 26 inch stainless steel fluted bull barrel, with a real nice thick laminated wood stock. It wasn't very high, I think like $348 or $372. But, it shoots all makes of over the counter medicine excellent. I have shot 3 shot one hole groups out of it. I have a Leupold 3x9x40 on it. I got an excellent deal on both at Gene Sears Supply in El Reno, Oklahoma. They always have the best deals. My dad has an H&R Ultra Varmint .223, but my savage seems to shoot a tad better groups, at 100, and it is more noticeable farther down range. Like someone else said, good luck finding an H&R.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just one word...SAVAGE.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also consider a cz american in .223, I have one in a .22 hornet and I love it.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing to add shop around for a second hand leupold, if you can help it do not put a trashy scope on your rifle. I know what it's like to be a student, I am still one.

Take care & good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the NEF Handi Rifle is anything but handy for varminting. Shooting from either bench or prone, the break-open action is a pain to operate. You necessarily have to take it out of battery position in order to break it open, then reset it for each shot. That is the single strongest reason for staying away from it and looking for a good used bolt.

I'd first look for a sporter. As opposed to some heavy barrels, they have almost never been fired that much, and a sporter will likely be as accurate as the HB as long as you allow it to cool a bit. A Remington 700 .223 has a passable trigger and a 24" barrel in a sporter model, and you can probably find a good used ADL for very little, if any, more cost than the NEF.

A 9X scope will do everything you can do with a .223. The best bargain is either a good used Leupold Vari-X II or a new VX-I. You can get either for under $200.

This makes a pretty universal rig which you can easily sell when you're financially ready to move up.

Good luck!

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would pass up the handi-rifle and stick with a bolt gun . If you insist upon a heavy barrel , about the only choice within your budget will be Savage . Maybe a Howa if you can find one priced right . Use Weaver bases and find some used Weaver rings at a gun show .

Shop the net for the best price on a Weaver V 3x9 and I think you will be well served . If you just have to have more magnification , about the only thing to keep you on budget would be a 4x12 Simmons Whitetail classic as sold by SWFA and others for $100 .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The Savage is a good suggestion. I also agree that you would be better served with a bolt action rifle. If you are wanting a lighter rig you can get a new Remington 700 ADL Synthetic for about $359 and top it with a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3-9x40 from Bear Basin for $149.

Good luck on whatever you decide to go with.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BorisBarker>
posted
Mate, I started with a Savage Package rifle in .223, sporter barrel i think it was a 100 series gun, cheap synthetic stock, and came with a 3-9X32 el cheapo bushnell variable scope. In Aussie dollars it cost me $500 bucks (US$250)..probably less 10 years ago. Popped a harris bi pod on it, trigger job for 50 bucks. It was great, fabulous, superb, nailed bunnies and foxes at 220+ meters all day every day....loved that rifle..simply brilliant, in my wisdom I traded it in on a super expensive remington....it is great, beautiful but god it inst 500% better in any way.....they are great rifles, i am now spewing i traded it. Grab one and spend your spare coin on beer and pizza and ammo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm....pizza! [Big Grin]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
After reading Stonecreek's advice I have to agree with him.

Take a look at a Savage in .223 and buy a 3 to 9 scope instead of anything larger, this way you'll get the most quality for your money.

You can find the old Redfield 3 to 9's on ebay for 80 to 100 dollars, and ABO in Miami still rebuilds them for 26 dollars, hard to believe, but true.

Best of luck in whatever you decide...

Dan

<Wildcat>
posted
Student here as well - having gone the savage route here are my recommendations - Savage 10FP in .223, get the shorter barrel unless you'll be shooting past 300yds alot. I have the longer but for accuracy - Under a quarter inch for groups is common with a good load, my best consistenly groups .15 or less.

For a scope - you can get away with a trash like a tasco if you'll only be shooting 100yd stuff, otherwise I'd look at saving a little more money and getting a weaver or something.

Just mho

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Shop around! Ive seen lots of handi rifles in Wal-marts and Cal-ranch stores.
My latest aquisition is a M98 thats already been sporterized, altered bolt, redfield scope base, not sure what brand but a nice walnut stock that I just re-finished today and a 3x9 Bushnell. $120.00 so far, found it at a pawn shop. Next its getting a ER Shaw bbl in 257 AI to replace the old 8X57 its still wearing. By the time its done it should still be under 5 bills.

I had a 223 Handi rifle and it was very accurate but I too prefer a bolt, they will get the job done though. My brother has the single shot now and hes liking it.

Good luck! [Wink]

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Steve-O>
posted
Goob,

I know you are strapped for cash, but don't scrimp on the optics...I have made this mistake too many times. You are better off spending half your $500 on a scope and searching for a used rifle, than putting a $100 dollar scope on a $400 dollar rifle.

I would suggest a Weaver as a minimum.

Steve-O

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get the VX 1 leupolds at a good price, they come in 4-12x40 as well.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Tasco scope could be a cheap alternative to Leupold. I guess Tasco is no more in business.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ber - I keep seeing Tasco advertised and sold in every gun catalog I receive. I think rumors of their departure are exaggerated.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pecos, Tasco Sales, INC is no more. All current Tascos are sold "as is, where is", no warrantee.

Bushnell bought the "tasco" trade name. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Goob3723>
posted
Ok guys, I found a new gun this weekend. It was a pretty good deal also. I found a very very slightly used (only shot 400 times)Savage chambered in 22-250 with a Simmons 6.5-20 Scope on Weaver rings already on it at a gun show and paid in cash so I got the whole rig for right at $400. I haven't got a chance to go out and shoot it yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it shoots and maybe get a couple pics of it to post. The scope isn't exactly what I wanted so I think I'll probably trade up for a Leupold with my extra cash.

<Goob3723>
posted
Thanks a bunch for your suggestions and help.

<Goob3723>
posted
One more plus the triggers been lightened up. I thought I got a great deal what do you think? I told the guy my sitituation and he cut me a deal cause he wanted it to go to somebody who'd appreciate it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Goob3723,
Stay with the Simmons scope for a while and see what it does under range and hunting conditions before trading up. That 20x scope will be great for that 400 yard PD or whistle pig!
Good Luck!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goob: I agree that you should try the Simmons and see what kind of performance it gives you. You might luck out and find it satisfactory.

As far as trading up, well, that's the problem with Simmons-Bushnell-Tasco-BSA-whathaveyou. There's just pratically no market for them in a used, even perfect scope. Look them up by typing in the brand name under "Hunting-optics" on eBay and you'll find item after item with no bid or a minimal bid. At the same time, a used Leupold will bring about 80% of its new street price.

When you look at what is recoverable from an expenditure on guns and scopes, it becomes apparent why quality is cheaper in the long run (but you made an excellent purchase for a "starving" student and I would have done the same; congrats on your new rig!)

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Goob, sounds like you're in the same position as me. What school you goin to? I'm at MSU Bozeman, MT.

I was looking at the NEFs too but got the same advice as you...oh well. I wanted a .22-250 anyways.
Take a look at Savage. Everything I have heard about them is excellent with respect to accuracy. I personally feel they look blocky and visually have about the same appeal as a Glock but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Plus they offer a varmint model with a 26" fluted barrel in .22-250, left hand, which is good news for me.
As for optics, I doubt you are going to find good quality optics to put on it and stay under $500.
I've been looking at Sightron, Weaver, and Bushnell but think I'll save up the extra cash for a Burris Signature 6-24 or 8-32.

Good luck.

DOH! I'm too late! Congrats on your purchase, we should all be so lucky. Let me know how it shoots. I may have to pick one up with my income tax return.

[ 10-17-2002, 12:42: Message edited by: FarRight ]