New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 220 Swift Twist?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My old friend Dan is looking to buy a Remington 220 Swift Varmint weight Rifle that will shoot accurately, bullets in the heavier weights. He is interested in shooting 60 and 63 grain bullets (and if need be heavier bullets) in one of the factory Swift Remington Varminters.
His questions to me (and I haven't been able to answer it adequately!) for the last 2 YEARS+ has been - will the 60 and 63 grain bullets be accurate enough for Coyote and Deer Hunting uses from the Remington 1 in 14" twist barrels?
He will be Hunting wheat field like country for both Mule Deer and Whitetails as well as the numerous Coyotes he jumps up while Hunting this country.
I have owned and shot numerous 220 Swifts since the 1960's but I have never ever shot a bullet heavier than 55 grains! I can't answer his incessant questions regarding 60 and 63 grain bullets from the current Remington offered barrels with twist rate of 1 in 14"!
Anyone have any first hand experience with these bullets from their factory Remington 220 Swift Varminters?
I have been waiting for him to follow the uneductaed advice I have humbly proffered to him for the last two+ YEARS (go buy one and find out for yourself!) but again last night his phone call to me relayed that his cost for trying this out for "himself" would be $770.00!
So I call upon any and all with experience in this regard to give me some of your insights - please.
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy
This is info from a 223, a 62 gr. bullet can be stabilized in a 1 in 14" twist barrel. But you have to run the velocity at max. This shouldn't be a problem for the swift.
As you know a rifle's ability to stabilize a bullet does not equate to accuracy. You gotta shoot'em to find out if the rifle likes'em.
Tell your buddy that if the rifle dosen't suit him/his needs, he can always sell it to recover most of his costs.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I don't have any specific experience with the Swift, I have used the 60 grain Partition in a heavy barrelled Remington .22-250 since they introduced it a few years ago. My uses for it are primarily coyotes, but I have also shot a few deer with it. It performs well and the 1-14' twist seems to have no problem stabilizing it. It is not the most accurate bullet in that particular gun, but most days it will keep 5 shots inside .75 at 100 yards if I do my part. I don't know if this is accurate enough for your friends purposes, but it is accurate enough for what I need to do.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to Berger suggested twist rates. Looks as if you can go to 64gr with a 12" twist.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/catalog.htm

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
You have to try and check. I've shot Sierra 63 smps and the 64 Winchester pp in a 14 twist Anschutz 222 for years with great results.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote