Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted
Suggestions on a good predator caller.Are the
cd players alot better than tapes?
Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Johnny Stewart tape type caller. I have used the CD type and occasionally got a skip due to the rocky terrain and my own personal clumsiness. I swear by the distressed kitten call.

Posts: 118 | Location: Milton, Florida USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
Try to start using some mouth calls, that makes it just that much less stuff you have to take with you

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I have a hay lot I'm setting up in.I think the
kitten distress will work as there are a few
cats around.Guess I'll try the cd caller,
Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just orederd Tally-Ho ($6.99) and both the S-4 ($6.57) & C-3 ($11.
95) from Burnham Bros from AllPredatorCalls.com. These calls are very inexpensive. AllPredatorCalls.com, specialized in nothing but predator calls, has a full range of products and the staff are friendly.

Contact AP (apjones@allpredatorcalls.com) and tell him Danny from Toronto send you. He may give you the 10% discount. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Cheers! Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

If you find a shop in CT where they have some good advice tell me. I am trying to improve my calling skills and I have the money for "electronic" stuff but I wonder if it's really the best way.

There is a video tape that comes with a $20 set of calls named "Operation Predator" by Johnny Stewart/Hunter's Specialties. It has the best footage of shooting coyotes that I have ever seen. One of the shooters is named Ed Wimberly and just hearing his life story is worth twice the price. I got that in Wolcott at the shop there on rt 69.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
There is much to be said for the merits of an electronic call,especially one with a remote control capability.

If applied right,it is like having an invisible partner,that does all of the calling for you.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer mouth calls, but the electronics work fine if you don't over call. For videos, I love the Randy Anderson stuff, Calling All Coyotes and Verminators, Predator or Prey. Lock, Stock and Barrel has them and I think Grafs as well. They are great.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my two cents worth here.

I do not own any tape or CD player type calls, but have hunted with others who own them. I just find that we do better with the old fashioned mouth blown calls.

With a mouth blown call you have to ability to change the sound, the intensity, etc. when needed.

Just the other day my dad and I were calling in a wide open area and had a coyote that just kept holding up a little too far out to shoot. With a little more intensity on the call and what could only be termed more urgency, the coyote came right in. You just do not have this option with electronic calls.

I was all set to buy one of the new electronic calls that are so modern that you only have to push a button to select another sound. My wife suggested that this was "cheating". I am not sure she is right, but there certainly is a lot of satisfaction in calling a coyote or bobcat in with a mouth blown call.

And if you really want some excitement try calling black bears in up close and personal with a call that imitates a deer fawn. Oh boy!

R F [Razz]

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
I just bought the Johnny Stewart Preymaster from
the place Danny suggested.
Last night walking my lab the song dogs were
getting cranked up just before dark.I should get
the caller Sat. Will let you know when I call
my first song dog in.
I'll get some mouth calls too...I'll have to
practice first and the caller I just bought
should give me an idea what kinds of sounds to
make.Should be fun.
Jeff

<Oleman>
posted
FOXPRO

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Ordered Wens received this AM.Used AllPredatorCalls.com
Good service.FWIW
Jeff
I hear a coyote callin'

[ 03-07-2003, 20:12: Message edited by: JeffP ]