Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 .223 Setup
 Login/Join

posted
I have ordered a CZ 527 Varmint in .223. I am thinking Burris rings 420140 and a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 scope. Anybody know if this combo will work? I am thinking about bolt or front sight interference. I wouldn't mind having to remove the rear sight.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE WY | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HalS:
I have ordered a CZ 527 Varmint in .223. I am thinking Burris rings 420140 and a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 scope. Anybody know if this combo will work? I am thinking about bolt or front sight interference. I wouldn't mind having to remove the rear sight.

Most rifles advertised as "Varmint" don't have sights. They are drilled and tapped.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI'm looking at my CZ 527 Varmint right now and there no front or rear sights. they are not drilled and tapped. They are grooved with a recoil cut out for their mating rings.which I was surprised when they were not supplied with my rifle. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesI'm looking at my CZ 527 Varmint right now and there no front or rear sights. they are not drilled and tapped. They are grooved with a recoil cut out for their mating rings.which I was surprised when they were not supplied with my rifle. beerroger

Just looked at some images and didn't like what I saw. Is that some proprietary mount they use?

It looks like an over sized .22 groove with one recoil notch on the rear mount.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes the cz is a proprietary set up and ugly as hell, but there are others on the market that are much nicer

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think they used to come with rings but don't anymore. I wish they took regular Weaver bases.

posted Hide Post
My 527 doesn't have sights either. It did come with rings though, but I don't know if they still do or not. It's pretty much a plain Jane, but it shoots better than the other .223's I had before it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: 03 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The CZ 527 is supposed to come with rings... The 2 I have did come with rings....one in 223 and one in 22 hornet....James Calhoon (of 19 caliber fame) can supply rings that are 1/8 inch higher than the factory rings...some scopesneed the higher rings....good luck...The CZ 527 is a nice rifle

Posts: 7 | Location: Not near you | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 527 is accurate, well-made, and has an excellent single-set trigger. Its mounting system goes way back to its predecessor BRNO in the 1940s. Burris makes a ringmount for it if you don't like the factory mount. I believe that Leupold may as well, but am hazy on that point.

The safety works backward to any and every rifle you have ever owned, shot, or handled. Forward is safe and to the rear is fire! Therefore it is best to teach yourself not to use the safety at all and only chamber a round when you are fully ready to shoot. This isn't usually a problem when hunting colony varmints, but if it's called coyotes or something similar you intend to hunt I'd recommend some other rifle.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was looking for something on the CZ site and ran into their rail for the 527. It's kind of pricy, but I ordered one anyway and now I can fit anything I want to it.
http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-19010...7-16mm-Dovetail.aspx

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redjonson:
The CZ 527 is supposed to come with rings... The 2 I have did come with rings....one in 223 and one in 22 hornet....James Calhoon (of 19 caliber fame) can supply rings that are 1/8 inch higher than the factory rings...some scopesneed the higher rings....good luck...The CZ 527 is a nice rifle

shame My dealer buddy called CZ and asked why my rifle came without rings. He was told they stopped sending them with the rifles a while back as guys were returning them asking for higher mounts. In my mind there is an element of FOG in this logic. Frowner So a little extra expense plus SHIPPING. Roll Eyes roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
In 97 the sporter didn't come with rings.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CZ's web site states that their rifles don't come with rings. They will sell you a pair for $57 though. I didn't notice them lowering the price of the guns when they did that. I'll bet their rings cost less than $10 to produce though.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
CZ's web site states that their rifles don't come with rings. They will sell you a pair for $57 though. I didn't notice them lowering the price of the guns when they did that. I'll bet their rings cost less than $10 to produce though.

CRYBABYI found that also but my buddy found them at a distributor for less than $17.00 . beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most CZ rings are too high for a "normal" scope.
(40mm or less objective).
S&K makes beautifil ring & base sets for CZs that will lower the scope and are far better looking.
Catch..... not cheap!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artshaw:
Most CZ rings are too high for a "normal" scope.
(40mm or less objective).
S&K makes beautifil ring & base sets for CZs that will lower the scope and are far better looking.
Catch..... not cheap!
Yes, but the problem is that the CZ bolt handle root is VERY thick and sits straight up underneath the scope's ocular lens when the bolt is opened and withdrawn. This forces the scope to mount higher, even if the objective clears adequately. There is at least one shop which specializes in trimming this handle root down so that the scope can be mounted "normally". They also can modify the magazine so that it sits flush.

Too bad that there is still that annoying and dangerous backward safety to contend with.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
James Calhoun does a mod on the bolt handle that helps clearance. I'll keep it in mind if I need it. I have a lot of different guns; different safeties are not a problem. problem. My goto's are all alike though.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
quote:

Most rifles advertised as "Varmint" don't have sights. They are drilled and tapped.
My 527 Varmint has no sights. A 40mm scope objective should be fine. Mine has a 44mm objective with factory rings and it fits perfect.
CZ's aren't drilled and tapped. Like a Sako, they have proprietary rings that fit the grooves machined into the receiver.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Warne also makes rings for the CZ527. I have some QD rings for mine and by removing the scope, it gives additional space in a very cramped safe.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cliff: Do the Warne QD rings return to zero well? I was thinking about a pair myself. I have s space problem in my safe too.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Yes they do. Warne makes an extremely good product and these rings use the CZ grooves. pm me with your email address and I'll send you a couple of photos.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purchased a 527 yesterday, it came with rings. Talley makes rings to fit the 527 as well.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Howard:
Do you know when your rifle was made? Maybe it is old stock. I went to Talley's web sight and found QD mounts for only the 550.
Edited to correct model number.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 527 varmint in 204 came with rings. I went with Leupold Medium height rings for my Vari XIII 4.5 x 14 x 40, because of the 30mm tube. I have no problem with the bolt interferring with the scope.

Posts: 27 | Location: Northern, CA | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornCalled CZ America again and got nothing but bad mouth and no rings for my 527 Varmint. Although I like their rifle they will get no more business from me! pissersCZ roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, send me your address and I'll mail you the CZ 527 rings that came with my rifle. Keep in mind, they are for 1" tubes, which is why i didn't use them.
Gordon

Posts: 27 | Location: Northern, CA | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggreen:
Bartsche, send me your address and I'll mail you the CZ 527 rings that came with my rifle. Keep in mind, they are for 1" tubes, which is why i didn't use them.
Gordon

PM sent thank you beerroger

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
No factory rifles except Ruger's come with rings, because no rifle that I am aware of (except CZ, Sako and Ruger) do the rings fit THE RECEIVER. Otherwise you have to buy mounts and then the rings depend on WHO's mount you buy.

The reason CZ doesn't send rings with their rifles is that nine times out of ten, they are the wrong ones for the scope fit anyway.
Called CZ when I worked at Cabela's and asked. That's what CZ customer service told me.

Never saw a set of rings come with a Remington 700, Savage 110, Browning A-Bolt, Winchester 70, Tikka, Weatherby (Except the Ultramarks because of the matching engraving and inlay and they come with a Leupold style mount) etc. etc. etc......
I've sold several HUNDRED of them, no rings.

Quit your whining...

Wink

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:

Quit your whining...Wink

I'm sure Glad Gordon Green doesn't have your mind set, Flipy.
old Gordon, if you are reading this ; the rings and scope are mounted and will be sighted in Wed.Thank you again for your outstanding generosity. (Whiner) roger beer

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We have a cz fox in our farm to kill hogs we use fmjs and head shots ,for culling them and selling the meat.Its the only minimauser currently made ,its a great carbine and i love it.With such combination you have a real good equipment in a very practical package .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6381 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No idea when mine was made. With the way all guns have been flying off the shelves I can't Imagine it being very old.

I have purchased several 527's over the years. All came with rings.

Perhaps some distributors have the ability to order without rings to lower their cost?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Quit your whining...Wink

I'm sure Glad Gordon Green doesn't have your mind set, Flipy.
old Gordon, if you are reading this ; the rings and scope are mounted and will be sighted in Wed.Thank you again for your outstanding generosity. (Whiner) roger beer

lol I was just giving you crap...hence the Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hal try here.

http://www.talleymanufacturing...ts&category_recnum=5

Talley lists their 527 rings in the rimfire section for some reason.

I purchased a set 2 weeks ago.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerAt the range today the closest I could get to the target at 100 yards was two feet to the Left before I ran out of adjustment. Eeker
When I got home I loosened all screws and inserted two .020" dia. ss wires into one of the dove tail groves. That dove tail locking screw was the first to be tightened.; than the rest. Voila! Bore sighting was accomplished. We shall see what happens. CZ America still sucks! beerroger

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Look at these...maybe someone sells them for less than $59.95? Takes care of the CZ proprietary ring dilemma. Mine was spot on with the factory rings.

Weaver-Adapter-Rail-527-16mm-Dovetail

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Here:

16-mm-dovetail-to-weaver-rail-top-mount-adapter-for-cz-rifles

$39.95...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at these...maybe someone sells them for less than $59.95? Takes care of the CZ proprietary ring dilemma. Mine was spot on with the factory rings.

Weaver-Adapter-Rail-527-16mm-Dovetail

Got one. I have Burris Signature rings on order to go with it.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
No idea when mine was made. With the way all guns have been flying off the shelves I can't Imagine it being very old.

I have purchased several 527's over the years. All came with rings.

Perhaps some distributors have the ability to order without rings to lower their cost?

They haven't been shipped with rings for quite some time, at least a year or two. When I called CZ that was more than a year ago.

cz-527-varmint

Description lists:

"The CZ 527 Varmint has a heavy 24" hammer forged barrel and two stock options. The rifle can be equipped with a walnut American-style stock or a grey laminate stock with palm swell and wide forend for use on a forward rest.

The Varmint retains all of the features that made the 527 famous, from its controlled round feed and claw extractor to its single set trigger and hammer forged barrel. Scope mounts are integrated into a forged, square bridge receiver (rings not included). The rifle comes with a 5-round detachable box magazine.

The 527 Varmint models in .223 Remington feature a 1:9" twist barrel, intended to stabilize bullets up to 70 grains, while the 527 American models in .223 feature a 1:12" twist more suitable for bullet weights of 55 grains or less."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FrownerAt the range today the closest I could get to the target at 100 yards was two feet to the Left before I ran out of adjustment. Eeker
When I got home I loosened all screws and inserted two .020" dia. ss wires into one of the dove tail groves. That dove tail locking screw was the first to be tightened.; than the rest. Voila! Bore sighting was accomplished. We shall see what happens. CZ America still sucks! beerroger
I had the same problem with mine I had sports mens mount the scope and they dint line up the Noach I remounted the scope and had no problems

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two CZ HB 527's, both have Burris rings made for the grooved reciever. MILLETT also makes rings for this gun and are adjustable for windage. I have mounted over a dozen scopes with both of these rings and had no problems.

Posts: 42 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote