Find
Notify
Tools

Got Took?---UPDATE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
So the whole story after a year of messing with this rifle is this: The rifle was manufactured in Jan 1970 and had a 1 in 14 twist barrel. I replaced that with a Douglas 1 in 9 SS barrel but it still shot 2 MOA. After months of trying to develop loads (remember, I'm in Calif and have to use non-lead bullets) I finally got a glass bedding kit from Midway and viola! 1/2 inch groups. (The rifle had a factory syn stock.)
Lessons learned:
1. Could have saved a lot of time and ammo by bedding the rifle first.
2. Might have been able to use the factory barrel although shooting non lead bullets which are longer would have made bullet choices extremely limited.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BT:
Glad you got it figured out.
I just got to this thread & read it thru. I kept waiting to see when you'd redo the crown. but, never did.

I put a cheap A&B blank on Sako in the middle of fur season when I was broke some yrs back. Has a 14" twist & puts 35 & 40gr V'm's in 1/4" holes, 55's run about 3/8" and will nail p/d's almost every shot in excess of 400yds unless I jack up the shot.
So I knew it wasn't the 14" twist being the problem. I only shoot one of two loads & am not a vel nut. 35, 40's=3640 & 55's just over 3000fps. All with: 23gr AA2200, or 25gr 4895.

Hang in there & good luck with the crap bullets.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6002 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote