Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info Re: PD Hunting
 Login/Join

posted
Want to do some prairie dog hunting this summer. Thinking about Wyoming or S. Dakota. Anybody have any good info on places to go, etc. TIA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
brman,

Try here
http://www.rstgfp.net/

The Rose Bud Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. Hunting Buddy and I make it there at least once a year for a 2 to 3 day shoot.

Kind Regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to hijack this post, but cwj3, did you have to get a reservation or state license to shoot them on the reservation, and did you have to use a guide just to shoot the pds? Been trying to find info on shooting on the rosebud reservation without any luck.
Also brman, last year I was in the same situation as you wanting to get started with no place to go. I simply just drove out to south dakota and wyoming and whenever I spotted a dog town from the road I simply just asked the ranchers if I could shoot em and all said go right ahead so it would be worth a try.
supermag

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, after checking that link.

Intend to stay around home.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SuperMagnum,

Yes you do have to get a reservation license. We stay in Winner and get them at the local Drug Store, be sure that you get the Reservation Dog license, not the general state license. If memory serves me correctly the three day is $35, and the full season is $50. We also had to hire a guide for the section of the Reservation we were on (some areas it is not required). Most charge from $50 to $100 a day. We end up in locations where we are the only shooters we see for the entire trip.

Last year the weather was not kind to us, we went in mid May and lost ½ of the first day to rain and all of the third day. We still had lots of shooting. The year prior, four of us shot over 6,000 rounds in two days, what a hoot!

They poisoned certain areas so be sure to contact the Reservation DOW and talk to your guide about the area you will be shooting. I believe that it is later in the year that they poison.

Kind regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote