Find
Notify
Tools

Should a feral cat be...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Should a feral cat be considered a varmint or a predator. In the typical U.S. hunting situation, say rural Ohio, what should a hunter, say a rabbit hunter, do? Why? You know I have a lot of fun with crats, but what is the serious answer for an average hunter?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now now N.S. you know perfectly well that a feral cat should be considered dead

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feral cats are a pox upon the land and as such should be considered as vermin. No closed season. No bag limits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I read once that the two worst offenders (at least in Kans.) for reducing the quail population were feral housecats and great horned owls. I disagree with Crowrifle, at least as concerns bag limits. I think there should be a bag limit and it should always be one more than whatever you've shot! rotflmo We were talking cats, right? jp

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the AZ law; it just says "Other furbearing mammals" if it's something not otherwise listed. Pretty much covers it.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I have two cats myself, each truly a predator. Saying that, I have to agree with the sentiment on feral cats. All three of us are "fixed."

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my best daily bag of crats was 38 (a full hole full)...

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I've shot my share of them, but they are quite a bit harder to kill that just about any other varmit out there short of a coyote (at least in my expirence). They really make you earn it.

I do love the people who think feral cats are just as domesticated as house cats. Thoes yahoo's that suggest spaying a feral cat are insane. I wish a major network would do a primetime segment live where they put one of thoes hippies in a room with a ferel cat and try to get them to catch/spay one of thoes things. That would get some laughs.

I say get rid of them. I'm allergic to cats anyway mgun

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
we call them "field lions" and they are considered quite a prize Big Grin but seriously, they do reek havoc on pheasents, take em out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Mississippi I never saw a quail, and everyday I probly came acrossed three or four cats, at leased the first years. The last year I was there the coyotes in the area had come back strong and I might have seen three cats a week. I must say, I miss ol' miss.
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well then, we are unanimous! thumb Kill 'em all!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I watched a cat hunting the brushpiles around
my meadow...Adjust AO, for kitty's range,
put reticle centered on kitty's body, for maximum
red mist, and ...Oh Oh, Kitty has a collar...Stomp
over to neighbors...Knock on door. "Madam, do
you have a black and white cat?". "Well, yes I
do". "Madam, I saw your cat, sitting on my
meadow, and I want to tell you that you might
want to keep kitty in the house, since I have a
bunch of coyotes, on my property, and they will
eat cats". "Oh my god, I will keep her in the
house, Thank You for warning me"...

My face hurt from smiling, as I walked back
home...Next time kitty sits on my meadow, the
coyotes are going to get her. Big Grin

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, that is one way.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
State DNR officer lives right next to where we deer hunt. His opinion is to shoot first and then see if they have a collar. One or two of his neighbors have decided to keep their cats inside.....all the time.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the serious answer is that all feral cats should be shot on sight. when i was a kid my grandparents had a semi wild cat that lived in the barn. they said that she kept the mice and rats under control. one day i crawled back into where she was raising a new litter and found her "nest". it was about 2 feet in diameter and 2 inches thick with quail feathers. no sign of mice or rats by the way. even the bunny huggers need to know that feral cats kill thousands(maybe millions??) of song birds every year. just shoot em!!....bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budiceale:
the serious answer is that all feral cats should be shot on sight. when i was a kid my grandparents had a semi wild cat that lived in the barn. they said that she kept the mice and rats under control. one day i crawled back into where she was raising a new litter and found her "nest". it was about 2 feet in diameter and 2 inches thick with quail feathers. no sign of mice or rats by the way. even the bunny huggers need to know that feral cats kill thousands(maybe millions??) of song birds every year. just shoot em!!....bud

Is bird feeding considered baiting? If so, I am guilty. But it works so well.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I watched a show on BBC a few years ago that stated it was bleleived that feral cats acounted for the rapid decline in song birds in Britain.

If it's happening there it's happening everywhere.

I walked by a bush last night and one came jumpng out, but my boot caught one square in the nose and nothing drops a cat like a 12.5 EE square on the nose at full swing.

I got one a few weeks ago with a bowling ball sized rock, it smushed him against a tree.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Just because I don't have a rifle in Italy doesn't mean I can't kill cats.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The base Command Master Chief, put out a kill on sight order on cats.

Some of the ARFs didn't like it, but we have about 2000 of them on the base.

posted Hide Post
I do not hesitate to shoot them on sight in the wild. Further, as every 5th house in the neighborhood seems to be occupied by a "Cat Lady", I've trapped quite a number of their "babies" over the years. Should a woman condemn my interest in hunting, I'm quick to inquire whether she's a cat owner (50% Yes) and then ask if she knows where they are at night.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
Should a feral cat be considered a varmint or a predator. In the typical U.S. hunting situation, say rural Ohio, what should a hunter, say a rabbit hunter, do? Why? You know I have a lot of fun with crats, but what is the serious answer for an average hunter?

We have seasons for predators, varmints are killable all year, therefore feral cats are varmints.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12698 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the shotgun lovers, the tungsten Hevi-shot rolls them real well.

posted Hide Post
We get $.55/lb for fresh ones from our local China Town. Big white ones sometimes bring $.78/lb on holiday weekends. I think they said the white ones skin easier.
Our rule is if they are 1/2 mile from a house they are wild. We never take them off porches.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
bshort6,,tell us more about this market,,this is quite intrigueing,,What are the protocalls,,do you just drive through chinatown barking GET YOUR FRESH CAT HERE!!!? I'd be happy to cover the cost of ammo selling these rats,,These aren't the neighbors pets either,I call animal controll on them,True free range,mange vermin here,,no joke,,Clay http://www.organicfreerangecrat.com

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's not as much fun, but crats are deathly allergic to Tylenol. A friend has 9 take up residence in her garage, couldn't shoot them, too close in. One can of tuna and a handful of ground pills sprinkled on top got eight of them. The best part is they go off to die. Nothing to pick up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokepole:
It's not as much fun, but crats are deathly allergic to Tylenol. A friend had 9 take up residence in her garage, couldn't shoot them, too close in. One can of tuna and a handful of ground pills sprinkled on top got eight of them. The best part is they go off to die. Nothing to pick up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Minnesota, cats outside the house are varmints and can be shot. In Wisconsin, you are shooting someones "pet".
quote:
quote:
It's not as much fun, but crats are deathly allergic to Tylenol. A friend had 9 take up residence in her garage, couldn't shoot them, too close in. One can of tuna and a handful of ground pills sprinkled on top got eight of them. The best part is they go off to die. Nothing to pick up.
Will this harm other animals at all? Sounds like a great idea. I hear a little antifreeze works too.

posted Hide Post
This info came from a vet. Won't hurt dogs. Other things I don't know. It seems cats develope breathing problems and give up the ghost. Antifreeze tastes sweet and does attract dogs. Tylenol is more selective.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 23 December 2005 09:32
I watched a show on BBC a few years ago that stated it was bleleived that feral cats acounted for the rapid decline in song birds in Britain.

If it's happening there it's happening everywhere.

I walked by a bush last night and one came jumpng out, but my boot caught one square in the nose and nothing drops a cat like a 12.5 EE square on the nose at full swing.

I got one a few weeks ago with a bowling ball sized rock, it smushed him against a tree.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b18/windriver80/

Diversity is owning German guns!
Posts: 1264 | Location: Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, California, Turkey, Spain, Greece, Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Italy | Registered: 06 February 2005

D99
one of us

Posted 23 December 2005 09:32
Just because I don't have a rifle in Italy doesn't mean I can't kill cats.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, California, Turkey, Spain, Greece, Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Italy | Registered: 06 February 2005

D99
one of us

Posted 23 December 2005 09:33
The base Command Master Chief, put out a kill on sight order on cats.

Some of the ARFs didn't like it, but we have about 2000 of them on the base.

Nickudu
Posted 24 December 2005 03:07
I do not hesitate to shoot them on sight in the wild. Further, as every 5th house in the neighborhood seems to be occupied by a "Cat Lady", I've trapped quite a number of their "babies" over the years. Should a woman condemn my interest in hunting, I'm quick to inquire whether she's a cat owner (50% Yes) and then ask if she knows where they are at night.

Fjold
one of us

Posted 24 December 2005 03:54
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:

We have seasons for predators, varmints are killable all year, therefore feral cats are varmints.

Frank
Posts: 1872 | Location: Bakersfield CA | Registered: 30 December 2002

Peakebrook
one of us
Posted 25 December 2005 04:42
For the shotgun lovers, the tungsten Hevi-shot rolls them real well.

bshort6
Posted 28 December 2005 01:37
We get $.55/lb for fresh ones from our local China Town. Big white ones sometimes bring $.78/lb on holiday weekends. I think they said the white ones skin easier.
Our rule is if they are 1/2 mile from a house they are wild. We never take them off porches.

claybuster
one of us

Posted 28 December 2005 09:50
bshort6,,tell us more about this market,,this is quite intrigueing,,What are the protocalls,,do you just drive through chinatown barking GET YOUR FRESH CAT HERE!!!? I'd be happy to cover the cost of ammo selling these rats,,These aren't the neighbors pets either,I call animal controll on them,True free range,mange vermin here,,no joke,,Clay http://www.organicfreerangecrat.com
Posts: 1792 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002

smokepole
Posted 28 December 2005 13:11
It's not as much fun, but crats are deathly allergic to Tylenol. A friend has 9 take up residence in her garage, couldn't shoot them, too close in. One can of tuna and a handful of ground pills sprinkled on top got eight of them. The best part is they go off to die. Nothing to pick up.

smokepole
Posted 28 December 2005 13:13
quote:

halvey
Posted 30 December 2005 20:21
In Minnesota, cats outside the house are varmints and can be shot. In Wisconsin, you are shooting someones "pet".

quote:

quote:
Will this harm other animals at all? Sounds like a great idea. I hear a little antifreeze works too.
Posts: 91 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 October 2004

smokepole
Posted 30 December 2005 20:53
This info came from a vet. Won't hurt dogs. Other things I don't know. It seems cats develope breathing problems and give up the ghost. Antifreeze tastes sweet and does attract dogs. Tylenol is more selective.

Previous Topic | Next Topic powered by groupee community
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
[x]

SiteThe Accurate Reloading Forums
Servleteve1da041
Version1.2.11 build 8443
ModuleForums 4.0.3
Stylesheet"hny"
Wordlet Set"Default Wordlet Set"
Logout: The Accurate Reloading Forums
Update Groupee Account Reply

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. I was composing a serious statement for this thread, a crat appeared at the bird feeder outside my computer room window, and in my rush to find some cat medicine, I spilled part of a bulk pack of remmie yellow jackets on the keyboard, and the rest is history. N.S. Sherlock

posted Hide Post
When I work in close to the houses, I use .22 subsonic. They don't attract attention with a loud report. My former neighbor and I had it down to a science. Open window, get muzzle inside house, use subsonic .22s kept the population under control in our neighborhood. We fed wild birds on a grand scale. Both of us used to buy 50# bags of sunflower seeds. The most important part of our method is open the window.

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by D99

i was hoping that your photobucket link had some pictures of this. Big Grin

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen (especially D99 it seems) the crat hunters of Britain salute you. We have lots of problems with furry purry critters here and deal with them by various means. The boot to chin method as proscribed by d99 was employed by a friend of mine just before Christmas on a crat that had its head stuck in a crisp packet.
A tad unsporting perhaps but a 30 yard conversion is a respectable distance!
Conversely the fullbore is also employed and 87gr of HPBT does do the business rather well and leaves pretty decorations on adjacent vegetation.

Get them by fair means or foul means, but get them and then deny all knowledge

'Let the bullets whisper gently'

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry about that. I was composing a serious statement for this thread, a crat appeared at the bird feeder outside my computer room window, and in my rush to find some cat medicine, I spilled part of a bulk pack of remmie yellow jackets on the keyboard, and the rest is history. N.S. Sherlock

Is that sorta like readin' tea leaves in reverse?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
So, where the hell is Ghengis these days? rotflmo

Didn't he come back as . ?

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An administrative type, perhaps?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There once was a troll named Ghengis
who wanted to play with his thingis.

While searching with finger-of-ringus,
and finding no penilingus,
shouted "I must be bi-dillydingus!"

Oh how I miss those days... rotflmo
But not by much.... Big Grin

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
troll

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N.S. Sherlock:

Read your NC hunting regs. Ferral cats with no collar are considered "Wild Cats". In North Carolina there is no closed season on "Wild Cats". Just don't muck it up by shooting your neighbors cat in front of his kids and wife. I had problems with a neighbors cat coming over to my house and sharpening his claws on my motorcycle seat and pissing on my deck. I asked them very nicely to keep their cat home as we have a leash law. The neighbor said he did not have to keep his cat off my proprety. I bought two conibear 110 traps. I put them in my garage where a dog could not get into them. I loaded them with hotdogs. The next morning I had a bugeyed furball that I put into a garbage bag and quietly put it in the dumpster at work. I reset the trap and caught another bugeyed furball the following night. I repeated the process for a few day. Another method if you live in the city is to use a havaheart live trap and turn the cat loose on the other side of town or turn it into the animal control office. Most of the time if the cat is retrieved by its owner it cost them $25.00 to $50.00 to get it back. It does not take long for them to keep them home.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC NS has the technology to take 'em to the other side of town and deliver them home air mail...par avion as it were.

Dan

POTYHC

http://www.Ballistic.CratsDoSplat