New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have Scope - Need Rifle!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Every once in a while I spy a good deal on a scope and snap it up whether I have an immediate need for it or not.
I usually am about one or two scopes short on my Rifles as I am a habitual scope "swapper"!
I luckily am caught up on scopes now and in fact I was at a tiny Gusnhow in Twin Bridges, Montana last weekend and found a Weaver KT-15 scope. I haggled and waited and finally got it for a very good price ($125.00). So I am "plus one" now on scopes in my gunroom!
I am familiar with these KT-15's (straight 15 power with short target knob adjustments and the A.O. feature) in that I have several friends that use them on Varmint Rifles and I have one myself that has been working wonderfully for me for three years now.
The KT-15 I have is on my Ruger 77/17 V/T (17 HMR) Varminter.
This scope has a well designed and efficient adjustable objective in it. The Du-plex crosshairs on this KT-15 are absolutely perfectly designed for my style of hold over and windage guesstimations in the field!
The thin portion of the cross hairs are just exactly the correct thickness and the opening of the thin portion of the Du-plex again is just perfect in my mind for Varminting. This thin portion may at first seem small compared to other scopes Du-plex designs but I find them just right and so handy for my Varminting uses.
Anyway I am well happy with the scope I have already and I am sure this new one will work well for me on something.
In other words I need a Rifle for this scope!
Any suggestions out there?
I have a Remington 700 Classic in caliber 222 Remington that only has a Lyman 10x scope on it. That Rifle is amazingly accurate for a sporter weight Rifle with only a 10x scope on it! I am a bit curious to see how that Rifle would shoot with 50% more scope power. But then I would have a Lyman 10x on my hands and need a Rifle for it also.
Hmmm...!
I have sure been happy with the Weaver scopes I have bought in the last several years. I have 4 Weaver V-16's (4 to 16 power variables) and the other KT-15. Good for the Weaver folks making attractively styled and well designed scopes at affordable prices!
I do know a sport shop in NW Washington State that has three Remington 700 Classic's tucked away in caliber 221 Remington Fireball - but I have two Varminters already in that caliber.
Hmmm.... what to do?
Maybe I should get my ass busy and turn the Remington XP-100 pistol I have tucked away into a custom Varmint Rifle maybe in caliber 204 Ruger, 223 Ackley Improved or 222 Remington Magnum?
Hmmm... what would you guys suggest for me to do?
Decisions - decisions?
Maybe I need an all stainless steel Volquartsen 10/17 HMR?
Let me know if you have any ideas for me to get moving towards.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Weaver V-16's a couple of years ago and put it on a 22.250 and I absolutely love it. It has the 1/8 minute dot reticle but it tracks and adjusts wonderfully and the AO is close to actual distances.

It's funny that you mention stumbling across one. About a month ago I saw an ad for a Weaver scope in the local advertising paper and bought an almost new V-24 mildot for $150. If I like it as much as the V-16 I won't have to buy a new Leupy for the 6.5-284.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just think how nice that would look on a nice new XR-100 in 204

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
just think how nice that would look on a nice new XR-100 in 204

or .223

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of slopjock
posted Hide Post
VG: it sounds like you have a problem that most of us would like to have. I usually have the opposite problem: a rifle but no good glass to put on it. I remedied that problem for a couple of rifles this weekend. Bought two bushnell elite 3200's: a 5-15x 50 that i put on my ruger 77 .243 varmiteer, and a 5-15x40 on my ruger 77 .204 ultra light. Have u had any experience with the bushnells? They were both extremely clear while i was sighting them in, and appear to be very nice scopes.

another question i have is about that little .221 fireball that you mentioned. They have a nice little rem 700 lv sf at the local gander mountain (central illinois) in caliber .221 fireball. what is your experience with the .221 on kyotes and praier dogs (which i hope i will be taking a chance at come this next spring).

any insight on this will be appreciated
slopjock

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slopjock: I have used my pair of 221 Remington Fireball Varminters on all manner of Varmints from Ground Squirrels on up through Coyotes.
I got my first 221 Fireball Rifle in 1994. Its a Kimber Ultra-Varmint with 24" barrel. I have killed a ton of Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs and Ground Squirrels with it (I mean this literally - I am sure I have killed 2,000+ pounds of Varmints with it!).
I have only shot a few Coyotes with my 221 Rifles though. The 221 bullets DO expend most all their energy inside the Coyotes with out passing through. I would not hesitate to Hunt Coyotes with the Fireabll if I were you!
With good sharp pointed bullets like the Sierra BlitzKings, Nosler Ballistic Tips and the Hornady V-Max's the 221 Fireball is wonderful in Prairie Dog Towns!
I use the 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in one of my Fireballs.
I have heard a lot of positive comments about the Remington 700 LV-SF in not only 221 Fireball but in 223 and 22-250. Positive comments not only in their handiness but in their accuracy, feel, balance and good looks! They are a tad pricey but the cool looking stainless Rifles should last about forever!
Good luck if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of slopjock
posted Hide Post
VG:thanks for the info. They are a little pricey, about $700 for this one. but i've been working a lot of overtime at big yellow (caterpillar inc. that is) and need something to blow the extra money on. and really what else is there besides a new gun?

slopjock

one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Rem. 700 LS 221 Fireball last year. Per Remingtons web site it was a special run 2004 year rifle. The 221 Fireball round holds 20.8 Gr water while the 22 Hornet cases holds 11.4 Gr water .It is a well designed round that holds 8 Gr less water than the 223 Rem. The Rem. rifle came with a 6 1/2 # trigger,The action contacted the stock for about 1/4 inch wide area from the recoil lug back to the magizne cutout. There is a burr inside the chamber before the rifleing that marks the mouth of the cases. I adjusted the trigger, glass bedded the action had a gunsmith lapp the bolt locking lugs. The 221 Round is fine ,the rifle could make a lamp post. I called Remington- I will never purchase an other Remington..

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
It's not just Remington

I bought a new in the box mod 70 .25 wssm. for whiteail and other small game. On my first trip to the range I brought some win factory loads 100gr supreme. When I fired them the bolt was difficult to lift the handle but I continued to zero the scope and the shoot some groups. This gun shot worst than any gun I have ever fired. 3-4 inches at 100 yards was the best group. so I checked the scope cleaned the gun and tried again another day the results were tyhe same. I could not belive my results so I took the gun to my gunsmith and had him remount the scope and then took the gun to a local guy that makes realy good custom ammo and left it with him to work up a load,after a few days He called me and said to come pick up my rifle that he could not make it shoot. I called winchester and the service people treated me like I was a idoit and were no help.Just told me to send them the rifle.
I talked to my gunsmith he said that in his experince that they would send the gun back and say there was nothing wrong with it. I belive Him after my conservation.
I'm stuck with a gun that I can't feal good about selling so I guese I'll let Kevin Weaver rebarrel and square my action. around $600.
Has anyone else had thes problemes with winchester.

DrB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tuck 2: Obviously you were dissatisfied with the fit and finish of the Rifle but how did (or does?) it shoot?
What are the characteristics of the "LS" Model?
Barrel size, barrel length, stock type etc?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy