New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 with 125gr TMK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Considering using my very accurate 30-06 for a daylight Coyote hunt. Rifle & scope very capable out to 500 +/-. Never shot / experimented with anything lighter than 150 gr.

Can anyone share their first-hand ACCURACY experience with this 125 gr TMK bullet? Hand-load around 3,100 fps.

THANKS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May as well stay with the 150 grain. You possibly going 125 thinking less recoil? If so it wont happen. I shot 110 grains in 30-06 and they were very close to the 150's in recoil.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood.........but no, not about recoil. Trying to stay with a lighter varmint "type" bullet...that's all.

THANKS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a bunch on hand.

It is not worth the time and effort to go with a different bullet.

In the past I have shot a lot of 125's.

Both well destroy yotes.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Unless you have a bunch on hand.

It is not worth the time and effort to go with a different bullet.

the past I have shot a lot of 125's.

Both well destroy yotes

+1
No doubt a 30-06 will anchor coyotes. I get a varmint rifle if that is what you are seeking.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1
No doubt a 30-06 will anchor coyotes.

Blows big holes in them.

Pelts are not worth much afterwards.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend is a benchrest shooter and one of his rifles is chambered in .30-30 Win. It is extremely accurate using 125gr. Speer TNT hollow point bullets.
If they work I don't know why the Sierras wouldn't!

Have Fun! You've got nothing to lose!

P.S. The Speer TNTs are cheap!

Hip

Posts: 1834 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heck, I would go lighter, with a Barnes 110 TSX, TTSX or TAC-TSX flat base. They show that bullet well past 3500 FPS with 4895 and Varget. That's serious varmint rifle territory and it would be fun to see how well they shoot.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/...30-06Springfield.pdf

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Much appreciated.

Accuracy has always been a very high prority for me. Will be taking the '06 and .243 to the range later this week or early next. Secretly hoping the '06 with the lighter bullet will shine. We'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only experience with this bullet was making some low recoil loads in the 06. I held it down to 2500 FPS, and got 5 shot groups under 1” from a bolt action sporter.

I assume it would kill coyotes fine at that velocity as long as they were close.

It’s interesting as a way to introduce a recoil shy person to the .30-06.

Posts: 10675 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a low recoiling 30-06 use cast bullets and Unique powder around 1600 fps and you'll think missfire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again...thank you all.

Spent some long hrs ar the range testing 2 rifles with various loads. Primary goal: accuracy.

With the 75 & 85 gr bullets - the .243 won - over the '06 with lighter bullets. Sorry - just don't have the time or extra $ to work with cast. Thanks tho. :-)

Cheers!!