THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Got my 1st and 2nd Coyote this morning

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my 1st and 2nd Coyote this morning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted
Talk about a great day. I'm new at this coyote hunting thing, bought a Foxpro last year but didn't get out much.
I spent the night in my Wiggy's sleeping bag listening to half a dozen coyotes howling all night. At dawn I walked about a mile behind camp and set the Foxpro caller about 50 yards from me.

Within two minutes of calling I saw one coyote sneaking in from the left and then saw two coming in from the right. The brush was pretty tall but eventually this one came into the clear and stood still. I shot him with my .224 Wby Mag. It's a Varmintmaster and I was using 50 gr Hornady V-Max in front of 33.4 grains VVN 140 powder. He dropped right in his tracks. Boy was I pleased, my first coyote and with my handloads. It's the first time the Weatherby had been bloodied by me.

I made a second stand an hour later about a mile and half further down the road. I missed a nice red colored coyote that came in from behind me. I got one shot off with a Browning .204 Ruger before he kicked in the afterburners. I wholeheartedly agree with VG that one of the nice things about the 204 was that I clearly saw I missed through the scope at the shot.

One more stand about 9:30 paid off with this coyote coming in at a dead run. He ran about thirty yards past the call and stopped at a slight angle facing away from me. I shot him through the ribs with a 32 grain accutip (Remington Factory Ammo). He turned a circle biting at his ribs and ran about 30 yards spraying blood the whole way. The 204 made a believer out of me.

Two coyotes, two different guns....what a day!

This is what the area looked like

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I remember my first coyote and boy was that exciting. Looks like your .204 did an number on that yote, how do you like it on other varmints. I pretty much stick to a .223 and have great success with that round. Keep at it, hunting those coyotes is a great way to spend the off seasons.

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I like it, but so far I haven't met a caliber that I really didn't like! I've got a 220 swift and a couple of 22-250's but the 204 will become one of my favorites. I need to get some dies and start reloading for it. Very accurate so far with factory rounds and nice and light to carry around.

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith way cool and thanks for sharing!

On another cool note the first yote I called in and shot was with a Wby Varmintmaster in 22/250. That was one of the all time cool guns I ever owned.

One of these days I am gonna own another.

Yotes can be more than a bit addicting.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keithv35: Great work there on the pair of Coyotes!
Three Coyotes coming in at once that must have been exciting!
And thanks for posting the wonderful photos!
I also have a Weatherby Varmint Master in caliber 224 Weatherby. Its a great little Rifle and a great little round as far as I am concerned!
I have owned mine for many years (German manufacture) and I have always wanted to shoot a Fox with it. Then pose the Rifle and the Fox like on the original 224 Weatherby Magnum ammo boxes!
Aaahh... someday when the Fox get more plentiful around here. They all got the mange here a few years back and I saw none for two years and now I am just seeing a few coming back.
I saw two Coyotes on Thursday of this week while Goose Hunting but all I had was my Remington 870 and #3 shot loads and they were mid pasture!
Many happy returns of your day!
Keep after'em!
Theres LOTS more out there!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
Great story and pics Keith! and congrats on your first call in.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Keithv35
Congrats on the yoes.

That country looks more like Vegas NM than NV.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on two beautiful Coyotes! I have hunted day after day in New Hampshire without any luck, but am still having a great time.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congrats! It's always fun, but the first time for anything is pretty memorable. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice yotes Keith.
Looks like the .204 did it's job.

Posts: 14 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote