New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 60 gr Balistic tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New for 2008 is this 60 gr BT but on Nosler web sight they don't post its BC ? I'm trying to decide the best bullet combo for my AR-15 in regards to predator varmint ammo up to 300 yards.

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
Iron,

According to the forum, on the Nosler site, the
B.C. for this new bullet is .270. I was looking
for a better wind performance bullet, for my
RRA AR-15 heavy barrel, after working up a
pretty decent load with the 60 gr. V-Max
bullets, which are flat based. According to
Hornady, that bullet has a B.C. of .265. On
paper, there does not appear to be a lot of
difference. So, I am going to load up some
of the Nosler 60 gr. BTBTs and see what real
world wind does to them, once I get a good load
to compare with the 60 gr. V-Max load.
Hopefully the Noslers shoot as good as the V-Max
bullets. These are currently going into .3 MOA
groups(at 100 yards), with the best "planets
aligned" group at .18. Plenty good for throwing
P Dogs into the air, as long as the wind doesn't
make doping maddening.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I didn't look hard enough on their web site to find the BC. Thanks a bunch. So I have a RRAs Coyote upper. I'm amazed at its accuracy I was getting under 1/2 MOA with a hot BBL.Off sand bags !!!!! Any how what is your load? Currently I'm loading 52 gr Sierra Match and 52 gr A-Max plus Speer 52 gr HP in front of 26.3 grs of TAC. ( These were all I had they were meant for a 14" 22-250 BBL but I got rid of that and now have a 8"twist BBL in 22-250AI) So I would really be interested in your findings. I just can't afford to throw a bunch of cash out there for bullets. What's the MV of your loads 60 gr V-max and Nosler 60gr BTs ? I wonder if they're better then 55gr bullets that is if we can get them going fast enough to warrent the heavier bullet ?

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
With a good stock of 60 grain V Maxes... I won't be running out and picking up any 60 gr B/Tips...

But with the VMax, you need a one in 10 twist or better to stabilize it...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle has a 1 in 9 twist 20"BBL. What length BBL in yours? MV? Load? So you allowed to hand load ammo in SF ? Just kidding I'm accross the bay from you ( East Bay)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.265 isn't much I bet a "Real Wind" will blow them all over the place. 75gr A-Max blows a bit and its BC is.400

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Actually, I am in Southern Oregon... I don't qualify to enter San Francisco...

I am conservative, own firearms, hunt, vote Republican and am not gay... so they don't approve my permit to enter the city....

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My world view is also conservative.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Isn't some one considered a conservative in the Bay Area, when the tires on his Volvo were bought at Walmart?.. instead of designer tires from some place that sells tires and lattaes?

John Quincy Adams

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IronWorker378:
I guess I didn't look hard enough on their web site to find the BC. Thanks a bunch. So I have a RRAs Coyote upper. I'm amazed at its accuracy I was getting under 1/2 MOA with a hot BBL.Off sand bags !!!!! Any how what is your load? Currently I'm loading 52 gr Sierra Match and 52 gr A-Max plus Speer 52 gr HP in front of 26.3 grs of TAC. ( These were all I had they were
meant for a 14" 22-250 BBL but I got rid of that and now have a 8"twist BBL in 22-250AI) So I would really be interested in your findings. I just can't afford to throw a bunch of cash out there for bullets. What's the MV of your loads 60 gr V-max and Nosler 60gr BTs ? I wonder if they're better then 55gr bullets that is if we can get them going fast enough to warrent the heavier bullet ?

Iron,

Here is what I know about the 60 gr. V-Max .224
caliber bullet. This load is shot out of a RRA
Varimnter(heavy Wilson SS barrel, with a Wylde
Chamber), 1:8 twist. I load LC brass, WSR
primer, and a near published max load of
Benchmark. Actually depending on the data
book, I may be a fraction of a grain over some
published data's max load, but no signs of
excessive pressure. I am now tweaking the
seating depth, and final charge weight, but I am
not sure I will improve the absolute best
group(.18 MOA at 100 yards) Smiler I am after an
improvement in average group size, although that
is running between .3 and .4 MOA, so I may be
doing an exercise in wishful thinking. I have
not chronographed the load yet. I do that when
I test my final load adjustments, with 5 shot
groups. I am going to guess from previous
chrony work they will come in around 3000 fps
MV.

My whole intention with the heavier bullet is
to get better wind performance over 50 gr. V-Max
loads I have for several other 223 Rem.
chambered rifles I have shooting that load.
I have a PDog hunt coming up, and from 204
Ruger, to 6mm Rem. I am developing loads for
prairie winds. So each load, I develop is for
a slot in range/wind performance. I have a
couple of 223 Rem. chambered rifles shooting
50 gr. V-Maxs, for low winds, or close in stuff.
I have a 204 Ruger, shooting 39 gr. BKs, and a
22-250, shooting 50 gr. V-Maxes, for longer
ranges, and brisker winds, and I have a 6mm
Rem. shooting 65 gr. V-Maxes, and possibly
a 70 gr. Nosler BT yet to be developed, for
high winds, and extreme ranges. The 60 gr.
Nosler BT, or the Hornady V-Max, 223 Rem. load
is to slide in between the 50 gr. 223 Rem stuff,
and the 204 Ruger/22-250 stuff, and to give me
fast follow ups for those hole divers that peak
out after the first ranging shot. Make the
first ranging shot, make a quick doping
adjustment, and send the second round...It
arrives just as the dog is peaking up to see
what all of the dust was about. BOOM
Or to just give me a better performing 223
Rem. round if we get stuck in a more than usual
windy period.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the new Sierra 65gr game king its BC is .302. If we can push it out at 2,900 its doing much better than any 60 or 55gr at 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not connected in any way but there is a pretty good sale on Nosler seconds at ShootersPro.com. 22 cal 60gr ballistic tips

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure of that weB address ? Can't find it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IronWorker, I think the address is shootersproshop.com. That's what I use to buy seconds. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
This just hit my brain while scrolling thru here...

Anyone know where you purchase those SABOTs that Remington used in their Accelerator series in the 30 caliber offereings?

Imagine being able to load a 30/06, with a Sabot and a 60 grain Ballistic Tip at like 4400 fps or so....

that would be kinda fun to play with on a prairie dog hunt....

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sea fire let it pass thru your brain ! They shot a 55 gr bullet at close to 4,000 FPS and they weren't known for accuaracy.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well Ironie...

you'd be surprised how popular those accelerators were with deer hunters back where I used to hunt in Northern Wisconsin...

in the 06, 308 and even 30/30 versions....

some of us just like to see 'what if'....

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you hates them is Law enforcement especially the FBI and ATF. Why because there are no rifling marks on recovered bullets. But yet at those velocities what condition would the bullet be in? However if a long shot was made giving the time for the bullet to lose a significant amount velocity?

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll tell you hates them is Law enforcement especially the FBI and ATF. Why because there are no rifling marks on recovered bullets. But yet at those velocities what condition would the bullet be in? However if a long shot was made giving the time for the bullet to lose a significant amount velocity?

bewildered

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never cared for those bullets.Too expensive,not accurate enough, wasn't a varmint hunter way back then either.I want law enforcement to be able to identify a murder weapon. Now I don't own a 30-06. Furthermore my 22-250 AI will duplicate the velocities achieved by those sabots.Wast of gun powder

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Definitely californian.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets get something straight here ! Yes I'm a Kalifornian who want to be a Navadan or a resident of Idaho ! Its providence that I'm in Ca.Some day I hope to live in Nevada or Idaho.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
We are talking varmint bullets. If you shoot someone with a 60 grain Ballistic Tip, saboted or not, I'm guessing there won't be a whole lot of bullet left as evidence.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire2 send me your address and i will send u a box of sabots

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote