THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Long Range Varmint Caliber

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Long Range Varmint Caliber
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks for the detailed post. That was just the kind of information I was looking for. The ranges you have shot successfully are quite impressive. My gunsmith leans to the 244 Rem also. M

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I just like the 6mm Remington because I started shooting it when it was still called the .244 Remington.

I have shot the 6-284 some and it really screams. I understand that there is good brass available these days, but when I was shooting the 6-284 I lost a lot of cases during the sizing down of 284 Winchester brass. Starting with the available 6.5-284 brass should help some.

I have never fired a 6mm Rem AI, but it should also be pretty darned fast. My buddies and I use a number of 22-250AI rifles and they are great. But, you still have to fireform cases for these wildcats.

The current 6mm Remington that sits in my safe is a custom rifle built on a Remington 700 action that wears a darned heavy 26 inch Shilen barrel. It is fitted with a Jewell trigger and a Leupold 6.5 X 20 scope, and sits in a McMillen stock.

This rifle is a stock 6mm Remington except that it had the chamber cut with a tight neck (.269).

Now, except for turning the necks due to the tight neck, I do not have to do a lot of case preparation. (Like sizing down cases or fireforming cases, etc. as opposed to the wildcats.)

This rifle wil shoot honest to God quarter inch groups at 100 yards on the rare occasion that I do my part.

My favorite long range varmint load uses an 80 grain Sierra Blitz bullet over IMR 4831 for a velocity of about 3450 fps.
With this load I have shot prairie dogs at over 750 yards and an unlucky coyote at over 600. To me that is plenty of range, maybe you are looking to shoot furthur, I do not know.

Anyway, my vote is for the standard 6mm Remington. Cases are readily available, loading data is everywhere, the speeds offered are plenty good enough, and so on.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of deciding on the caliber for a custom long range varmint rifle. The selection seems to have narrowed to 6mm Remington, 6mm Remington AI or a 6 X 284. Any pros and cons on these cartridges and/or something that might be better would be much appreciated. Thanks.