THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    My home made portable shooting bench

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My home made portable shooting bench
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted
I got the idea from a post here last fall that I cant find in the archives. Although light it is stable and height adjustable.
Sorry about the shadows
 -
 -

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Neeto! I've been thinking about getting one of the heavier-duty Workmates for as a portable tool base, and had thought about maybe using it for an auxilliary shooting bench.

What model is that, the 125? How high does it extend to? I'm kind of on the big/tall side, and was concerned about the bench being high enough w/o having to sit on the ground, or close to it!

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
milanuck,
Its actually the German (Wolfcraft) version of the B&D Workmate.
http://www.wolfcraft.com/product_detail.cfm?id=103
Lowes stores sell them around here.
I'm 5'10" and on its lowest position ~ 29" sitting on a 5 gal bucket is about right. Fully extend ~45" I can stand and shoot off of it. Top also tilts. I exterior grade varnished the 3/4" birch plywood top and it would benefit from some non-slip strips in the bag areas.

<338Lapua>
posted
This was from my "workmate shooting bench" I posted here a while back. They work VERY well!

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice idea, it's a little hard to see from the picture, does it adjust to uneven ground?

Thanks
Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Frank, The feet dont adjust...if you're on a slope you can tilt the top. Ive been thinkin on the feet...some sort of spike or tent peg would be nice in soft ground...this one will probably get used out of the back of a pick-up [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave,

I have to look at one of these benches, maybe a threaded rod with flat round bases can be put on each leg and then used to make adjustments. Any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

338 Lapua - I tried a search for your post and had no luck. If you can post a link I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Frank D

[ 03-07-2003, 19:58: Message edited by: frank d ]

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Yep thanks 338 you guys started it. And I wanted to just add to that post but couldnt find it. Maybe it was before that big server crash late last year that the "Matchking hunting bullet" novel caused..... [Big Grin] I remeber a bunch of folks having to reregister and loosing some threads.
Thanks again for the idea!
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,

I looked in a local HD and Lowes a while back for work benches. All I saw around here was the Black and Decker. What is the approximate cost of the bench you used?

Frank D

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Frank, not all the Lowes in my area carried em for some reason...you may be able to find them on-line. I paid $49 and some change. Ive been thinking about your all thread in the legs. the longer the all thread the more it would interfere with the low end of the height adjustment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bench. I made a portable bench that I like and would like to share it with the rest of you. I got the plans from the net the address is www.buildgear.cjb.net/. This is a sight that has lots of cool stuff check it out.

[ 03-08-2003, 05:39: Message edited by: BossMoss ]

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote