New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 loads
 Login/Join

Picture of eriklupust
posted
i bought a rem 700 varminter in 243 and am not happy w factory loads(duh). anyone got a load for it in 58gr v-max. i took it to SD this oct and had my butt handed to me by a guy shooting 22-250 out 400ydson dogs. most of my shooting will be on groundhogs on farmland w occasional coys thanks erik

Posts: 21 | Location: bc michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, I can't help you a lot with the 58 VMAXs(they never really were outstanding in the 3 different 243 Varminters I tried them in!) BUT a load that seems to work in a lot of .243's is 41.0 grains of VARGET and the 70 grain Nosler BT! It's fast enough and heavy enough with a better BC to give you some hits on out there!! Try it! You might like it!! CHarlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second groundhog the 70 gr BT works well for me in several different 6mm's. While the little one comes out of the chute faster, it looses it fast too.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
sorry, just looked over my own post and realized i didn't say that most shots are under 300 and that i'm wooried about richochets sw michigan is quite populous

One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I use H380 in my 243 when shooting the 55 grain ballistic tip or 58 grain Vmax. Nosler #5 lists book max at 53 grains and I load 52. Velocity and accuracy are outstanding.

H380 has worked in 5 other 243's with these bullets too.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same ADL in 243 that is a real rag when it comes to groupings.. it sucks the big one...

However, It sure loves 50 grains of H 380 and a 55 to 60 grain bullet... it gives it 4000 fps and is a one hole shooter, if I do my part...

I am impressed if Stormbringer can get 52 grains in the case, because mine is full full full at 50....But with that light of a bullet, it beats any other load I have seen in the 243's I own...

except for a reduced load with Blue Dot....22.5 grains.. for about 3300 fps....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40.5 gr of Varget behind the 70 gr Nos BT win case and fed gold match primer works well for my rem 700 on aussie stuff...................may be the ticket in your machine to.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
You are right about the case being just about full. I use Winchester and Federal cases. With the reduced capacity of the Federal cases it is a compressed load. With the Winchesters I can seat the bullet and still have some case capacity left.

Velocity for mine with either brass and CCI 200 primers is 4200 fps at altitute of 4500 feet and the 26" barrel of my Ruger VT. Shoots like its on a tight string. Never had a pressure sign even at temperatures of 100 degrees.

Sure makes a mess of rockchucks and pdogs.

H380 meter great and is reasonably prices. It is not very clean burning though.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Both of my 243's like the 58 grain V-max with 40+ grains of IMR4064. Start at 40 grains and work up slowly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Eeker58gr Vmax. 45.5 gr.wcc846 3929 to 4006 fps. 10 shots 3/4" group. 5 shot 3/8" group. 50 yds.

25gr 2400, 3207 to 3271 fps. stiff wind 15 shots 3/4" group at 50 yds.

36gr wcc 844, 5 shot 1/4" gr. at 50 yds.

42.5gr Wcc846, 3511 to 3679 fps. 15 rapidly fired shots all touch at 50 yds. cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's important to seat the 58 gr vMax deep. I seat to a COL of 2.595"

I use IMR 4064. I am up to over 44 grs now. Work up as suggested above.

Some bullets shoot well in one gun but not another. If the 58's don't cut it try the light Nosler or Sierras. The 70 gr bullets should not richocet either under normal circumstances.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a small Remington Mohawk that I rebuilt into a carry rifle. 26" Number 4 Douglas barrel, McMillian stock with a Bushnell 4200 in 2.5 X 10. I really like shooting 70 Gr. Blitzkings in the gun. 41.0 Gr. of Varget MV about 3550. Very accurate sub .5 MOA.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
whew that's quite a bit to try out but i thank you all from the bottom my dead dogs(please!!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a .243 that shoots 58 gr VMAX bullets very well. Powder is VARGET, but I am on the road and can't remember the load.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice fellas. i,m gonna try fjold's load first if the damn wind will ever stop blowing when i have time to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My varmint load was 75 grain Hornaday hollow point with 35.8 grains of IMR 3031.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveYesterday I tried out a reduced load that proved super repeatable.

58gr.V Max. WLR, Win Case,25gr.4759, OAL= 2.695" ,2945 to 2974 fps.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I am finding SR 4759 a powder capable of cleaning up the accuracy a lot on a couple of Accuracy Pigs in my gun cabinet...

YOU'll get the same consistency, with all bullet weights in a 243 with SR 4759!

Cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First load I tried in my rem 700 vls (changed stock for HS) went .413" for 3 shots off a bipod at 110 yards with the 70 gr nos and 40.5 gr of Varget seated just off the lands with fed 210m gold match primer.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't remember the loading,
but, used a 60gr bullet in mine.

Did real nice on paper. but did
a really NASTY job on a coyote at
80yds.

had two pieces from side hit at base of the
neck. no fur left.

Didn't have to blood track this one very far either. I liked that part, but, ohh the mess!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stormbringer:
I use H380 in my 243 when shooting the 55 grain ballistic tip or 58 grain Vmax. Nosler #5 lists book max at 53 grains and I load 52. Velocity and accuracy are outstanding.

H380 has worked in 5 other 243's with these bullets too.

Mike.

You stole my secret load! Big Grin

I shoot mine out of a Ruger stainless M77 and it is a tack driver!

MG

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
Y aknow I was doing great reading this thread and takin it all in UNTIL I saw FJOLDs avater again. Very distracting. PLease please please dont ever change it.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Man! I'll 3rd the suggestion on 41 grains of Varget under a 70 gr. Nosler BT. I use that in my 26" barreled AR-10(T) and it eats that load for breakfast! I worked it up independently of having read this about 2 months ago to essentially duplicate the Federal Premium load with the 70 gr. Noslers. Instrumental velocity was 3398 fps vs. the advertised 3400 fps for the Federal factory fodder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is!!! If you've got a .243 WIN that doesn't like the 41.0 grains of VARGET and the 70 grain NOSLER BT, you've got a dog of a .243!!! Raise the bar to the 6mm REM and go to the 87 grain VMAX using 39.0 grains of VARGET and same story unfolds!! If those rifle won't shoot those two loads, you've got problems!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I tried 41.7 grs of Varget in my Sako .243 with the 70gr Ballistic Tip Varmint. Tended to throw them all over the place......until I tried 42.7 grs - 5 shots into 0.354 at 125 yards and a velocity of 3454fps.

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eriklupust: It seems I have not bought another 243 in several years now so I am pretty "set in my ways" as far as load testing, being, long since done.
I am VERY impressed with the Nosler 70 gr. Ballistic Tips. I go along with Ground Hog devastaion on these bullets for sure! They are VERY accurate in my Rifles. They also are very lethal on all manner of Varmints from Coyotes and Badgers to Porcupines and Rock Chucks!
For several years I used them out of my custom 240 Weatherby on Antelope! These bullets shot like Laser Beam Rays out of that Rifle! It was not FAIR to the Antelope - really, not fair!
I have not tried the Sierra 70 BlitzKings as yet in any of my 243's but seeing's Jay Johnson advocates using them then you can bet they are gonna be top notch as well for your uses.
I have tried several of my Rifles using the 55 and 58 grain bullets - for your 400 yard get even with the guy use - I would opt for the 70 grain Ballistic Tip type bullet of your choice (what ever shoots best in your Rifle!).
Best of luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote