New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate Varmint Rifle
 Login/Join

<avidhunter>
posted
What would your ultimate varmint rifle be, action, stock, barrel, trigger and scope. Mine would be a Remington 700 action with a Lilja fluted heavy barrel, an Anderson trigger all inside a H-S Precision stock. On top would be a 6.5-20x50 Leupold X III in Conetrol mounts,great for p-dogs and yotes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Avidhunter: Ooohhh! Great question yours. One Varmint Rifle to be the ultimate (all around) Varminter huh. I dream of those beautiful Nesika Bay actions so I guess I would go with that as long as I am dreaming. I would use the Jewell trigger with the underlever safety (these safeties protrude into the trigger guard area just in front of the trigger - I have one of these on a custom Varminter and it is very safe and very handy). For rings and bases I would get some of the Hart ring/bases - these are rings that are also bases and two screws go through the body of the ring right into action and the rings are designed to fit directly (and precisely) on to the action. This eliminates the ring to base and base to action variables. I like the Holland precision ground recoil lugs and would have one installed between the action and the 27" heavy Hart barrel. The stock would be the flat black McMillan Marksman with only the front sling swivel stud. I don't use slings on my Varminters just a Harris Bi-pod now and then so I only need the front stud. The McMillan Marksman stock is an exact copy of the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Target stocks and is hard to beat for all around Varminting in my experience. This stock is also a near duplicate of the Remington 40X wood stocks of the Rangemaster era. Again another nearly faultless all around Varminting stock. For a scope I would use the now discontinued Leupold 8.5X25X40mm variable. I have several of these scopes now on Varminters and think they are superb! No muzzle brake for me as I so often shoot from the prone position and the muzzlebrakes suck up a dust cloud that blocks my vision and ability to spot my own hits (and misses!). Cryogenically treated barrel of course.
The caliber is the big question here (which you did not specifically ask for) - but I think for an all around Varminter it might just be the 22 Remington BR or maybe a 22-250 Ackley Improved! I have the greatest respect for the 22 BR as a Varminter but the Ackley Improved 22-250 is very easy on brass also and the ones I have Hunted alongside are very accurate as well. The extra range of the 22-250 AI is sure tempting and as long as we are dreaming I won't have a caniption fit when the barrel comes due to be replaced in 4 or 5 years!
I would want my all around Varminter to be heavy - right at 13 pounds with scope and rings. The heavier Rifles are no sweat for me to lug around and I like the mass to steady my sight picture while I am aiming.
Yeah that should do as a dream Varmint Rifle for me!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 09-25-2002, 07:42: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's REALLY hard to beat my Colt CAR-15. Deadly accurate with multiple shot capability. Top quality prairie dog medicine and good for yotes too.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well for show and go.

Wichita Classic Varmint rifle.

All go and not as showy.

Nesika Bay Varmint rifle.

Scopes would be 12X Target Leupold with Duplex crosshair.

Easy,

All the best,
Charlie.

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the flexiblity of the Ar setup with a flat-tops. But to distill it down to one it would be a AR type with a 16"-20" bull barrel fast twist to shoot the 75 gr A-Max bullets. The Tasco Super Sniper 10X mildot scope works well and dot sights can be inter-changed easily. The Leupold Quick release setup returns to 1/4" of zero ever time. When I run out of reloads this setup shoots the Walmart Varmint pack winchester 45gr bullets at .75 MOA. I am always in business.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
My choice would be the same as JeffinND's featured on the first page of my web site.
www.duanesguns.com
Nesika action- XX premium SS Douglas barrel-custom fiberglass stock(blank came from High Tech)- we still need to add the Jewell trigger-Leupold double dovetail rings and bases topped with a 4.5x14 Premire Retical mil dot conversion Leupold- and of coures the caliber is 257DGR.
I can't afford the Nesika- so mine is right below his based on a 700 Rem. and I have a 2.5x10 B&L Elite 4200.

<ack . john>
posted
my choice would be the rifle that darrell holland build for me this summer. It is a rem.700switch barrel,it has a jewll triger, h-s precision stock where;s a luepold LRT 8.5X25 in luepold qr mount;s and ring;s has three NOR-PAC barrel;s chamber in 22-250ai,6mmbr,250ai it shoot;s great and takes about ten minutes to change barrel;s happy hunting ack john

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tricked-out Rem 700 action, 26" barrel (pick one) with 1:8 twist, chambered in .22BR Dasher for the Lapua case (no neck turning), Vais muzzle brake, Rem 700 trigger tricked out to 1 pound by Neil Jones, metal work NP-3 coated, McMillan A-3 stock with adjustable comb and length-of-pull painted in patriotic motif, Shepherd scope.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, while I own a BUNCH of varmint rifles, I already own what I consider to be the ultimate varmint gun provided I do not have to carry it too far.

I had made a few years ago, a rifle that started with a 700 Remington action. The gunsmith did all the usuall tricks to it and pillar bedded it into a McMillan stock, installed Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings. He lapped the rings and put on a 6.5 X 20 Leupold EFR scope. We installed a Jewell trigger set at 6 ounces. It wears a Shilen number 7 barrel that is 26 inches in length. It is chambered for 6mm Rem (that I STILL want to call a .244 Remington) with a 1 in 12 twist(and a tight neck). This thing shoots one hole groups with either the 75 grain Sierra HP or the Sierra 80 grain Blitz. I have used that 80 grain Blitz to shoot prairie dogs in excess of 750 yards. I have shot groups with the 75 grain Matchking that were under 0.25 inches for five shots at 100 yards. I LOVE IT!! This guy can build rifles, let me tell you. He made me up a standard weight 25-06 that shoots three shot goups that are about 0.25 inches as well.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Jeff in ND>
posted
Duane, No fair stealing my answer. Anyway, I agree with Duane. I had him build my 257 DGR with a Nesika Bay K repeater, Douglass XX Primieum barrel, High Teck Sporter Stock, 4.5X14 Leupold with Mil Dot, Decel Recoil pad, Ching Shooting Sling, HS Precision Removable box magazine (the one thing I would not do again) and a one day to be added Jewel Trigger.
Now if you are takling for PD use only or mainly then I would go with a 222Rem or 223Rem or 222Rem Mag with a Heavy barrel and BR stock, otherwise the same as above.

Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a ultimate varmint rifle but here's a shot of my ultimate predator rifle:

-

-

Rem 700, SS Pac-Nor#4 in 243AI, McMillan stock by Darrel Holland. Metal was finished off in KG Gun-Kote. Nosler 70grBTs moving out at 3620fps. MtnHtr

[ 11-10-2002, 11:10: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 6.5x55 swedish that Saeed just had built sure turns my crank. Maybe slap on a stock that is a little more comfortable (McMillian) But Definately keep it the electric blue color.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
I think I would enjoy trying the Cooper Varminter in 22-250 AI topped with the 6.5X20 Leupold fine Cross hairs trigger tuned to 2lbs. I don't think any Remington can touch the quality of the Cooper rifle just as it comes from the factory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 223 AI, Rem 700, Holland lug, 40X trigger, 26" barrel, all bedded to a HS Prec. HBR stock. Flat on the forend and has a sling swivel for my bipod when I want to go that route.

Mike

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
It would have to be My Camoed Savage 340 in 222 Remington with a Leupold 4X or 3x9 scope.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
 -

[ 11-09-2002, 08:22: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Such a gun does not exist. There is however such a thing as an "ultimate battery". All of you have written of or shown us fine rifles. The 6's and the 1/4 bores burn too much powder for high volume sustained fire. After awhile you might even get a bit tender of shoulder if the dogs are bold. The .22's have somewhat limited range and do not handle the winds as well as we might wish.

Sure, you can pick a single gun and live with it, but you all remember the day when you wish you had capabilities not available in the rifle that you held.

Reasons to have an "ultimate battery".

1. More efficient in applying the needed power to the distance at hand.
2. Allows you to deal with wind.
3. Allows you to deal with multiple targets properly(AR-15 or Shotgun or 10/22)
4. Keeps your hard earned money in the closet instead of the tavern.
5. Makes Democrats twitch.
6. Keeps your wife confused. After you have 5-6 she can't keep up and you can buy at will. Particularly effective if they all have the same stock and camo pattern.

There are as many reasons as there are guns. Let's not have any more of this ultimate rifle hooey. It is your duty and responsibility to make up for the lack of sales caused by the bunny huggers of the world. ONWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Baldeagle 713>
posted
Nice Rifle Boyd! AH,is that the one Ya let me take that Ground hog out at 525yds with? [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

[ 11-24-2002, 01:15: Message edited by: Baldeagle 713 ]

<Reloader66>
posted
Several fine actions are available and would qualify with a Shilen, Hart, lilja, or Krieger 26" SS heavy barrel, McMillan stock chambered for the 243 shooting the Watson 65 grain FBHP bullet. I have one that will soon be ready to try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mine is a remington 700, vls, chambered in 6mm ackley, 4.5 to 14 leupold varix 3, shoots 55s at 4200 fps, and int .31 at 100 yards. man i love this gun!!!!!!!!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
<ack . john>
posted
hi. for me it is my REM.700 switch barrel, chamber in 22-250ai-6mmbr-250ai they are match nor-pac barrel the rifle has a jewel trigger. I use luepold QR mounts, the scope is a luepold long range 8.5x25 fine duplex 30mm tube target knob,I use this scope on 22-250ai and 6mmbr barrel;son the 250ai I use a IOR-VALDADA 8POWER TACTICAL SCOPE this is the clear;s scope I have ever looked thru

one of us
posted Hide Post
For small varmints I'd like a .17 Ackley Hornet and a .19-223 for the larger pests. Make them both Coopers and I'd be happy.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just bought one thats close Built by Duane in 257 DGR. Has the Douglas barrel, bedded in the VLS Stock ( I love those things )

But I think that you guys are over looking somthing

I agree the the Nesika Bay action would be cool but let dream realisticly if that makes sense..

For varmints you need to reach way out there..

Build it on a Rem 700 Action Everyone can afford and most any smith can work to tack driving accuracy. Lets go with a LA so we can load the very sleek and long VLD's and the likes. Mate the action to a premium barel, K&P, hart, lilja, Douglas, Shilen..# 6 countour ( about like the Rem VLS type barrel) they will all do well. Lets make it 28" with a Tactical vent break, or a Vias, or KDP... all will do fine. So that gives us 30" total barrel and break. Lets bed it into a McMillan A2 or A3 series stock. You can still shoot off bags and a bench but for you groundhoggers and rockchuckers you can still carry and use a bi-pod. Gotta get a Jewel trigger. Set it at 1 lb. but if your gonna use a bench on a PD town you can adjust in the field very easy to a couple of ounces. Let put a Nightforce 5.5-22 or a Lupy 8.5-25 LR on it. I think that any $ rings or bases will work.. so its shooters choice here...
On now the caliber. how about a 6/284 wide range of bullets and enough case capacity for the big heavies. You could, if you do it right have a Short Range varminter and a LR varminter. You could even use this on preditors if you have enough desire...

Just a thought off the top of my head...

Posts: 94 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post

[ 11-28-2002, 21:33: Message edited by: CaptJack ]

<RustyRifling>
posted
Where I work we have some pretty sophisticated rifles, especially varmint rifles. I live in Arizona and in the Northern part of our state we have good PD shooting. In addition, my Dad and I try to get in a shoot or two every year in other states. Three years ago we were shooting in Wyoming and met up with Jim Carmichael,the gun writer, and Ned Kalbflesh (sp?) the President of Varmint Hunting Assn. Mr Carmichael I knew from before as he helped me when I began silhouette shooting years ago and it was a treat to meet Ned. They had rifles like I had never seen before. "State of the Art" doesn't describe them as they were way beyond that. Custom actions (built to their specs) as were stocks, triggers, scopes ( prototypes years from now) and accuracy to blow your mind. What I found most intersting were barrels that were virtually impervious to heat. (forget cyro) I rode with them half a day and saw things I'd never believe if I read it in a chat room. They were in Wyoming for the famous "Red Mist" hunt and I was honored to spend time with them, especially because they didn't show their rifles to anyone else except Dad and me. It was an education, and I thought I'd seen it all.
Rusty